News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Starship824

In the Parks
No
At least my complaint isn't about bringing new stuff in, it's that in that time they've also closed like 10 or 11 attractions as well. Adding stuff (even if I don't really like it) is not a bad thing, but I'm still not a fan of doing that at the expense of other things.
This.

The few years of investment should focus on actual expansion, IMO the only things that need to be actually replaced are Figment and Dino land (sorry @๐•ด๐–’๐–†๐–Œ๐–Ž๐–“๐–Š๐–Š๐–—97) oh and refurbish SSE (aka fix the ride system, the thematic elements are fine, well also get rid of touch screen ending thing but leave everything else).

bwr827

A Ratatouille attraction belongs in France. I'm fine with that...but the ride itself is quite unimpressive to me. TRON is too short and didn't have to be a clone. I know that from speaking with someone on the team that built it. There was a ton of space to build a longer, more extensive layout, and they just didn't. It's too short and a clone, so I put it in the unimpressive category. If it were a new thing for MK and longer, it would be impressive.

Also, I think it would have been better to put TRON in Epcot and Guardians in Tomorrowland.
That is disappointing to hear about the Tron that might have been. Love the ride but everyone wishes it were longer. The clone part wouldnโ€™t bother me if the original were longer.

General comment:
Overall, it does seem clear from other that Disney has been investing in the parks. This has me excited for D23 and whatโ€™s next, based on the seeds theyโ€™ve planted. Sounds like a ramp-up of investment, and hopefully additions with new capacity.

lazyboy97o

Problem is, most of the projects they have built are either unimpressive (TRON, Ratatouille), budget-cut (Guardians, Communicore Hall), or in the most recent example in Frontierland, an egregious failure to understand basic tenets of attraction design.
Again, doing something well is not the same metric as just doing something. Nor does it mean the budget was cut (a really silly claim when discussing the worldโ€™s most expensive single attraction). Good luck finding my posts where I sing the praises of those attractions.

That is disappointing to hear about the Tron that might have been. Love the ride but everyone wishes it were longer. The clone part wouldnโ€™t bother me if the original were longer.
Might have been what? TRON (and Ratatouille) as actually committed was always a โ€œlift,โ€ a clone with as few and only absolutely necessary changes to the facility design. The only chance it had of being something different is way back when Shanghai Disneyland was in early design and TRON was considered as a cross-development project with the Magic Kingdom.

DonniePeverley

The sentiment is a troll who claimed Epic Universe wasnโ€™t being built because he didnโ€™t see people manually digging holes with shovels.

Nonsense. Comcast have come out and agreed that delaying construction on Epic Universe was a mistake. The state of Florida i believe didn't have any mandates to stop construction, yet Epic Universe was halted. My point was there was no need to stop the construction. You had members saying there was construction going on for years if they saw a little digger in the area, but that was nonsense at the time.

Epic Universe would have been open now i believe, and would have been a much needed boost for Orlando.

MJL92

We all want pure expansion and capacity increase. But realistically, things are always going to need to be replaced. Universe of Energy / Ellen's were fine attractions for an older vision of Epcot. But neither moves the needle in a modern theme park. Guardians is a stellar attraction. We can't act like thats a lateral move or replacement. It makes the attraction lineup better.

Maelstrom->Frozen, Splash -> Tiana, even Dinosaur -> Indy, Same ride, different content, those don't change anything except increase demand for an "exciting new IP" so I'll give you those.

But,
Hollywood Studios Backlot area -> Toy Story & Galaxy's Edge
Camp Minnie Mickey -> Pandora
Empty Space -> Rat
Empty Space -> Tron
GMR -> MMRR
UoE -> Guardians
and eventually Primeval Whirl -> Encanto

Most of that is capacity upgrade or a more efficient use of space. You can argue all you want that you preferred the previous attractions and that's fine. I won't tell you what to like (I loved Light's Motors Action, and I really miss the Who Wants to Be A Millionaire show, but <<< Toy Story Mania). But to act like they're not building and that everything is just a direct replacement is a misrepresentation of what's happening.

bwr827

Might have been what? TRON (and Ratatouille) as actually committed was always a โ€œlift,โ€ a clone
Maybe youโ€™re skimming and missing details. I was replying to the comment about design considerations that might have resulted in a longer ride. As a โ€œwhat might have beenโ€, thatโ€™s too bad.

lazyboy97o

Maybe youโ€™re skimming and missing details. I was replying to the comment about design considerations that might have resulted in a longer ride. As a โ€œwhat might have beenโ€, thatโ€™s too bad.
They are design considerations that were never on the table. Itโ€™s not at all a โ€œwhat might have beenโ€ unless you consider anything and everything as a โ€œwhat might have been.โ€

Bocabear

In Tomorrowland Shanghai Disneyland, the entire land was designed around Tron... though I would say that particular Tomorrowland, while very modern, is probably (to me anyway) the most lackluster as it more resembles a corporate cambus park than an actual amusement park. It is pretty and there are a few things that are actually good, but on the whole it feels a bit joyless... Tron was too short in Shanghai and sadly they didn't address anything in the transfer to the states... If they skipped the outdoor canopy flyover in the beginning and rather than have it outside, actually began the ride as a flyover the Game Grid and all interior and in the dark, it would have made the ride feel longer...It is the jarring transition from indoor to outdoor that breaks the ride in two parts and makes it feel shorter than it is....but it is short for sure.
Tron also does not match the aesthetic of Tomorrowland at the MK. It looks out of place....and not in a good way. There are no supporting structures, transitional points from the old tomorrowland to the world of Tron...The attraction needs it's setting... Some additional buildings, a dedicated TRON gift shop at the ride, not at Space Mountain... A Tron-ified Speedway and Tomorrowland Concourse area would help seat the ride into it's setting... adding more elements of the Tron Aesthetic would have gone a long way...glowing lights in the pavement...additional canopy treatment on other buildings... Tron inspired set pieces along the Speedway with new electric cars...It would have all gone a very long way to telling the attraction's story and making TRON a real part of the Magic Kingdom....rather than an oddly placed addition....

MJL92

Tron also does not match the aesthetic of Tomorrowland at the MK. It looks out of place....and not in a good way. There are no supporting structures, transitional points from the old tomorrowland to the world of Tron...The attraction needs it's setting... Some additional buildings, a dedicated TRON gift shop at the ride, not at Space Mountain... A Tron-ified Speedway and Tomorrowland Concourse area would help seat the ride into it's setting... adding more elements of the Tron Aesthetic would have gone a long way...glowing lights in the pavement...additional canopy treatment on other buildings... Tron inspired set pieces along the Speedway with new electric cars...It would have all gone a very long way to telling the attraction's story and making TRON a real part of the Magic Kingdom....rather than an oddly placed addition....
Definitely feels out of place in the current TL, but I'd argue that's because none of the rest of it feels like "tomorrowland". If you scrapped the whole land and started from scratch, the only thing you would keep in its current form is Tron. I would love to see that aesthetic extended to other parts of the land.

As for the length argument, short for what should be in a Disney park, yes absolutely. But launched coasters usually sit around 1:00. Tron is only slightly shorter than RnRC, and even VelociCoaster, which is considered by many to be the best coaster in the world (#2 for me!). Maverick at Cedar Point is another top launched and that's a long one at 1:20. The bigger issue is pacing. The launch and outdoor portion for Tron is great, then inside you don't get much in the form of standard coaster thrills, whereas the other launched coasters I listed all provide better variety and keep building throughout. The memorable part of Tron is over in about 10 seconds.

UNCgolf

Problem is, most of the projects they have built are either unimpressive (TRON, Ratatouille), budget-cut (Guardians, Communicore Hall), or in the most recent example in Frontierland, an egregious failure to understand basic tenets of attraction design.

I don't think you can realistically argue that Guardians was budget cut when it cost $450-500 million.

I have plenty of issues with the execution, but that's a separate argument.

Bocabear

Definitely feels out of place in the current TL, but I'd argue that's because none of the rest of it feels like "tomorrowland". If you scrapped the whole land and started from scratch, the only thing you would keep in its current form is Tron. I would love to see that aesthetic extended to other parts of the land.

As for the length argument, short for what should be in a Disney park, yes absolutely. But launched coasters usually sit around 1:00. Tron is only slightly shorter than RnRC, and even VelociCoaster, which is considered by many to be the best coaster in the world (#2 for me!). Maverick at Cedar Point is another top launched and that's a long one at 1:20. The bigger issue is pacing. The launch and outdoor portion for Tron is great, then inside you don't get much in the form of standard coaster thrills, whereas the other launched coasters I listed all provide better variety and keep building throughout. The memorable part of Tron is over in about 10 seconds.
Actually Tron is the one thing in Tomorrowland that is at odds with the rest, and Architecturally uninteresting. The only thing that makes it interesting is the outdoor canopy...remove that and it is a box. The original building designs of Tomorrowland have some architectural interest... Space Mountain is fantastic. The others are wonderful mid-centruy modernism... Sadly we won't all realize that until they tear them down or run them permanently... Like the Communicore buildings. The one building they kept, when opened up and revealed for what it is, is timeless and modern...as are the original Tomorrowland buildings...
The actual length of Tron is part of the problem, but the launch portion and canopy flyover splits the ride into two acts...making it feel extra short...again, if it were all indoor I think it would feel longer...they could also do some great effects digitizing you and injecting you into the Game Grid...and then extracting you at the end... and where is Flynn's Arcade??lol

bwr827

Actually Tron is the one thing in Tomorrowland that is at odds with the rest, and Architecturally uninteresting. The only thing that makes it interesting is the outdoor canopy...remove that and it is a box. The original building designs of Tomorrowland have some architectural interest... Space Mountain is fantastic. The others are wonderful mid-centruy modernism... Sadly we won't all realize that until they tear them down or run them permanently... Like the Communicore buildings. The one building they kept, when opened up and revealed for what it is, is timeless and modern...as are the original Tomorrowland buildings...
The actual length of Tron is part of the problem, but the launch portion and canopy flyover splits the ride into two acts...making it feel extra short...again, if it were all indoor I think it would feel longer...they could also do some great effects digitizing you and injecting you into the Game Grid...and then extracting you at the end... and where is Flynn's Arcade??lol
The Tron canopy looks so cool that I donโ€™t even notice the box.

bwr827

Isnโ€™t Velocicoaster 90 seconds, a full 50% longer than Tron?

Agree about the most memorable part of Tron. Might have been better to end with the canopy section.

DonniePeverley

The title of the thread is 'DISNEY PLANS TO ACCELERATE INVESTMENT'

Then we learn it's over 15 years. That's not acceleration, sounds like a diesel truck, manufactured in the 70's going up a hill.

Most people see the headlines (like free loading locals with annual passes), others see the spin and total utter nonsense.

MJL92

Depends on where you're timing from.

Launch to final brakes:
VelociCoaster ~1:08
Tron ~0:58

From leaving the station to final brakes:
VelociCoaster ~1:30
Tron ~1:24

One is a far superior coaster and experience all around. But I wouldn't say that the timed length of the rides is the reason why. Tron is still too short for a Disney coaster when they're not delivering the same thrill experience (RnRC too).

flynnibus

Premium Member

Agree about the most memorable part of Tron. Might have been better to end with the canopy section.
They are both coasters... better to compare with what is more constant. Length

Tron is 3,169' - Velicicoaster is 4700'

That's 48% longer track... and Velicoaster is more intense in just about every metric.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom