News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

MerlinTheGoat

Huh?

So we’re going to keep pretending like they don’t have various projects in the works?
I think the general sentiment is to call out Disney for not settling on something after years of jerking people around with empty promises. And many of their "investments" are also more often akin to a game of musical chairs with the way they like to replace existing entertainment, rather than actually expanding.

peter11435

You are using some interesting math right there. A new Triton-class cruise ship is around $2.5 billion. They currently have 5 (or 6, depending on how you want to count the Treasure, or 7 if you want to include the Adventure) ships. Doubling even on the low end puts us at $12-14 billion accounting for inflation.
Triton class did not cost 2.5 billion each

lazyboy97o

I think the general sentiment is to call out Disney for not settling on something after years of jerking people around with empty promises. And many of their "investments" are also more often akin to a game of musical chairs with the way they like to replace existing entertainment, rather than actually expanding.
The sentiment is a troll who claimed Epic Universe wasn’t being built because he didn’t see people manually digging holes with shovels.

MerlinTheGoat

The sentiment is a troll who claimed Epic Universe wasn’t being built because he didn’t see people manually digging holes with shovels.
I didn't look through their posting history. Regardless, I stand by my comment about said sentiment, divorced from the other person. Disney has made a lot of promises that have come and gone with nothing to show for it.

MerlinTheGoat

Nothing wrong with replacing entertainment that has been operating decades non stop with something new.

However I will always prefer they expand to actually helps capacity instead of hurting it even more.

Unless you’re talking actual rides???
I am indeed talking actual rides. Despite having AMPLE expansion space at WDW, Disney has far too often chosen the path of ignoring said space and instead gutting and repurposing things that they shouldn't be messing with.

Other entertainment as of late also has some problems though. None of their answers to the loss of Illuminations have gone over all that well. Magic Kingdom hasn't had a night parade in many years now. Animal Kingdom lost its only night shows too (even if they weren't THAT well loved, I think many people would still probably prefer them over absolutely nothing at all).

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Triton class did not cost 2.5 billion each
There were significant cost overruns, covid issues, and construction problems with the Wish which caused construction to well exceed the estimated $1.6B cost. The number is closer to $2B.

For perspective the Dream and Fantasy adjusting for inflation would have cost around $1.5B in 2024 dollars.

lazyboy97o

I didn't look through their posting history. Regardless, I stand by my comment about said sentiment, divorced from the other person. Disney has made a lot of promises that have come and gone with nothing to show for it.
The sentiment is bull. Disney actually hasn’t cancelled that many projects over the past decade. The vast majority were killed due to COVID and they were lousy projects to boot. It’s the epitome of damned if you do, damned if you don’t. People don’t like the “promises” but then complain that the thing they didn’t like isn’t happening. The sentiment is just anger to create drama, the actual substance and evidence isn’t of consequence.

MerlinTheGoat

The sentiment is bull. Disney actually hasn’t cancelled that many projects over the past decade. The vast majority were killed due to COVID and they were lousy projects to boot. It’s the epitome of damned if you do, damned if you don’t. People don’t like the “promises” but then complain that the thing they didn’t like isn’t happening. The sentiment is just anger to create drama, the actual substance and evidence isn’t of consequence.
People not liking any of the projects doesn't change the fact that Disney doesn't want to actually commit to anything and are into jerking everyone around. Also not particularly convinced they actually care all that much whether people like their announcements, they tend to just do what they want and ignore a lot of the things people want them to do. Good example is Villains Land. That is probably the most well received of all the projects they've announced. But it's reportedly the furthest out from happening if it even happens, and it's a very big "if" that it even does happen as it's reportedly the least likely at the moment to survive.

All of the plans they've pitched for AK so far still sound pretty lousy to me. Whether the first Moana/Zootopia pitch, or the more current Indy/Encanto one. And again going back to them ignoring feedback, there has been a pretty strong demand to get rid of Dinorama, but to keep Dinosaur. Once again being weird about ignoring things people are receptive towards- people are generally pretty open to the rumor of the Lion King boat ride. But it remains just a pretty far-out rumor that may not happen and won't happen anytime soon if it does. It's also rumored to be a cut-back from a far more elaborate variant going in Paris.

As for Epcot, there was a canned plan to keep the old Communicore buildings intact courtesy of a piece of concept art Martin released a while ago. The plan they went with also received numerous cutbacks, such as removing some of the planned water features. The elevated restaurant won't be missed, but the rest of what they built has also been exceptionally lousy and hideous. The PLAY pavilion was stupid, but I can't say it's more stupid than leaving the building shuttered for another couple of decades as may now be the case isn't really a "better" option.

lazyboy97o

People not liking any of the projects doesn't change the fact that Disney doesn't want to actually commit to anything and are into jerking everyone around. Also not particularly convinced they actually care all that much whether people like their announcements, they tend to just do what they want and ignore a lot of the things people want them to do. Good example is Villains Land. That is probably the most well received of all the projects they've announced. But it's reportedly the furthest out from happening if it even happens, and it's a very big "if" that it even does happen as it's reportedly the least likely at the moment to survive.

All of the plans they've pitched for AK so far still sound pretty lousy to me. Whether the first Moana/Zootopia pitch, or the more current Indy/Encanto one. And again going back to them ignoring feedback, there has been a pretty strong demand to get rid of Dinorama, but to keep Dinosaur. Once again being weird about ignoring things people are receptive towards- people are generally pretty open to the rumor of the Lion King boat ride. But it remains just a pretty far-out rumor that may not happen and won't happen anytime soon if it does. It's also rumored to be a cut-back from a far more elaborate variant going in Paris.

As for Epcot, there was a canned plan to keep the old Communicore buildings intact courtesy of a piece of concept art Martin released a while ago. The plan they went with also received numerous cutbacks, such as removing some of the planned water features. The elevated restaurant won't be missed, but the rest of what they built has also been exceptionally lousy and hideous. The PLAY pavilion was stupid, but I can't say it's more stupid than leaving the building shuttered for another couple of decades as may now be the case isn't really a "better" option.
You’re conflating all sorts of different things. The projects being lousy isn’t a measure of them happening. If anything it is a reason to not want things to be happening.

MerlinTheGoat

You’re conflating all sorts of different things. The projects being lousy isn’t a measure of them happening. If anything it should a reason to not want things to be happening.
Pretty sure that's exactly what I was saying. Disney just doesn't want to commit to building anything, they don't care whether the plans are viewed as lousy or not. It's largely a matter of convincing the board to spend money, which is increasingly difficult to do.

lazyboy97o

Pretty sure that's exactly what I was saying. Disney just doesn't want to commit to building anything, they don't care whether the plans are viewed as lousy or not. It's largely a matter of convincing the board to spend money, which is increasingly difficult to do.
Again, put aside COVID, and the number of projects not built in the past decade is quite small.

They have committed to projects. The board has been convinced. Huge sums are in motion to be spent. It’s been decades since project budgets were being cut back after approval. That they showed early development work doesn’t change that or the nature of the process. There was no world in which the dramatic culling during COVID was just going to be undone over night.

eddie104

Again, put aside COVID, and the number of projects not built in the past decade is quite small.

They have committed to projects. The board has been convinced. Huge sums are in motion to be spent. It’s been decades since project budgets were being cut back after approval. That they showed early development work doesn’t change that or the nature of the process. There was no world in which the dramatic culling during COVID was just going to be undone over night.
There is certain group of posters determined to show grievances towards Disney no what they do.

Your post is just pure logic and then you have someone reaching for the stars to try argue that you’re not correct.

We all wish Disney worked on projects a little faster but to simply deny any commitment to build anything is ludicrous.

In the Parks
No
Problem is, most of the projects they have built are either unimpressive (TRON, Ratatouille), budget-cut (Guardians, Communicore Hall), or in the most recent example in Frontierland, an egregious failure to understand basic tenets of attraction design.

eddie104

Problem is, most of the projects they have built are either unimpressive (TRON, Ratatouille), budget-cut (Guardians, Communicore Hall), or in the most recent example in Frontierland, an egregious failure to understand basic tenets of attraction design.
Tron and Ratatouille are both solid additions and serve their own purpose.

In the Parks
No
Tron and Ratatouille are both solid additions and serve their own purpose.
A Ratatouille attraction belongs in France. I'm fine with that...but the ride itself is quite unimpressive to me. TRON is too short and didn't have to be a clone. I know that from speaking with someone on the team that built it. There was a ton of space to build a longer, more extensive layout, and they just didn't. It's too short and a clone, so I put it in the unimpressive category. If it were a new thing for MK and longer, it would be impressive.

Also, I think it would have been better to put TRON in Epcot and Guardians in Tomorrowland.

LSLS

The last 8 years: 3 New Lands, 10 new rides (11 with Tiana).

The previous 8 years: 1 New Land. 3 new rides (New Fantasyland & Frozen Ever After)

Yup. It's the current era we should be complaining about 😒
At least my complaint isn't about bringing new stuff in, it's that in that time they've also closed like 10 or 11 attractions as well. Adding stuff (even if I don't really like it) is not a bad thing, but I'm still not a fan of doing that at the expense of other things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom