News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

DisDude23

I don’t why posters are being purposely obtuse about this when they said themselves it’s for new capacity as well.
About 70% of the overall $60 billion is earmarked for new experiences but a good part of that is going to building new cruise ships and the rest is spread out across all the theme parks, hotels, restaurants. So it’s not being obtuse to think that WDW isn’t getting a lot of shiny new toys to be impressed about. New stuff and rides? Absolutely, those things being well funded and living to their full potential? Time will tell.

Dranth

But does a ride that replaced, say, Primeval Whirl increase capacity?
Yes, because it had pathetic capacity and was skipped by a large portion of visitors. All that aside, all indications are for actual increases as well, not just higher capacity replacements. Obviously we need to see these projects get under way before anyone gets too excited but when was the last time they even mentioned adding capacity?

flynnibus

Premium Member
they were approved to spend 17billion in expansion by the district... that doesn't mean they have to spend 17 billion or even will spend 17 billion.... but they are allowed to if they deign to.
No

They entered a legal agreement with the district committing to make that level of investment.

The district on their part are committing to a comprehensive plan for the district that will allow up to certain thresholds of development… including the cited hotel and park counts.

eddie104

Because

1) there have been scant specifics on those numbers,
2) the granular details keep changing,
3) “capacity” can mean a great many things to different people.

To that last point, when the GP hears “capacity increase,” they think, “new rides and attractions!” But does a ride that replaced, say, Primeval Whirl increase capacity? They’re down in terms of capacity from where they were. Does a replacement attraction that is more popular and in demand than what it replaced an increase in “capacity,” even though the THRC for both old and new attractions is 1:1? Some would argue they are.

Do exclusive enclaves such as DVC lounges or DVC resorts increase capacity? Some would argue yes.
Replacements can count as capacity increases.

However there is not many rides left to replace so that’s not moving the needle.
We hope they add capacity and not just new DVCs over the next 20 years.

20 years is a long time. I will mostly likely be dead or if I am alive I will not be going to WDW.
DVC’s are not gonna absorb billions of dollars.

About 70% of the overall $60 billion is earmarked for new experiences but a good part of that is going to building new cruise ships and the rest is spread out across all the theme parks, hotels, restaurants. So it’s not being obtuse to think that WDW isn’t getting a lot of shiny new toys to be impressed about. New stuff and rides? Absolutely, those things being well funded and living to their full potential? Time will tell.
How many more hotels do they think they are going to build with current glut of capacity at this resort?

Cruise ships are irrelevant to WDW so why bring that up?

Disstevefan1

Because

1) there have been scant specifics on those numbers,
2) the granular details keep changing,
3) “capacity” can mean a great many things to different people.

To that last point, when the GP hears “capacity increase,” they think, “new rides and attractions!” But does a ride that replaced, say, Primeval Whirl increase capacity? They’re down in terms of capacity from where they were. Does a replacement attraction that is more popular and in demand than what it replaced an increase in “capacity,” even though the THRC for both old and new attractions is 1:1? Some would argue they are.

Do exclusive enclaves such as DVC lounges or DVC resorts increase capacity? Some would argue yes.
We liked Primeval Whirl.

DisDude23

Replacements can count as capacity increases.

However there is not many rides left to replace so that’s not moving the needle.

DVC’s are not gonna absorb billions of dollars.

How many more hotels do they think they are going to build with current glut of capacity at this resort?

Cruise ships are irrelevant to WDW so why bring that up?
Because I was addressing the overall company wide $60 billion investment to parks and experiences which involves hotels and cruise ships.

They will definitely be building hotels with the money but probably not at WDW but it also wouldn’t surprise me if they did because they love to do that and then wonder why they have trouble with low capacity.

doctornick

How is that different from any other business on the planet? Any location within the US is going to have permitting restrictions, building code requirements, traffic impact studies, environmental plans/restrictions. But I don't know of any business anywhere that there are restrictions on in the broad sense saying a company isn't allowed to invest in their property.

I agree. It isn't any different. I mean, the CFTOD has a specific structure and process but I was responding to posts that made it sound like Disney needed permission to spend money on WDW.

BrianLo

About 70% of the overall $60 billion is earmarked for new experiences but a good part of that is going to building new cruise ships and the rest is spread out across all the theme parks, hotels, restaurants. So it’s not being obtuse to think that WDW isn’t getting a lot of shiny new toys to be impressed about.

I mean, if not obtuse it is downplaying it. We know what the numbers are exactly for WDW. We don't need to talk about cruise ships to distract from the figures. 12 billion is new capital at WDW - an additional 5 billion is maintenance.

12 billion, if actually spent in a decade, would represent a fairly major uptick in investment. Upwards of 50% decade on decade even accounting for inflation and Disney's ability to spend more for less. Make a list of what they built last 'decade' (2013-23) and add 50% more. Implying it is next to nothing, is silly.

Bocabear

No... it's not talk now. It's contract law. There will be a audit after 10 years.

The company intends to spend 17 billion over 1 decade. But they have to spend it over two. Which is in fact better than when they didn't have to do anything at all. That's when it was all talk and potentially just political talking points.
they might really have to after Epic Universe opens... Trees and seating and a new Meet and Greet pavilion in EPCOT are not going to drive attendance...and anything else is going to be realistically 2027-28 at the earliest

Davidb1

No... it's not talk now. It's contract law. There will be a audit after 10 years.

The company intends to spend 17 billion over 1 decade. But they have to spend it over two. Which is in fact better than when they didn't have to do anything at all. That's when it was all talk and potentially just political talking points.
They are obligated to spend $8 billion in 10 years. There is nothing that obligates them to spend anything more than that in the next 10 - 20 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom