News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can easily spend multiple days at Magic Kingdom and a full day at EPCOT. I find a day at any of the Universal parks to be more equivalent to HS or AK. EU also looks to be launching a bit underbuilt, but I’ll withhold judgment.
Moving the goal posts a bit…

You said “Disney visitors”

Magic kingdom and Epcot were built in a different era…where they didn’t shy away from overhead.
No parks newer than that were the same way. I’d argue IOA was the most “complete” park since…Epic may come close

The last “complete” park Disney built where they were paying a large share of the bills was Euro

Last edited:

eddie104

Until Disney announces their plans I’m taking everything I’m reading here with a grain of salt.

Personally I feel like everybody is bit too bias including myself on what their expectations are for this long term plan.

$60 billion is definitely an unrealistic number but even half that number could make a huge difference for the parks.

James Alucobond

Magic kingdom and Epcot were built in a different era…where they didn’t shy away from overhead.
No parks newer than that were the same way. I’d argue IOA was the most “complete” park since…Epcot may come close

The last “complete” park Disney built where they were paying a large share of the bills was Euro
I didn’t move goalposts at all. I responded to a post saying the balance would shift Disney 1 / Universal 3 for a 4-day vacation.

Tha Realest

No parks newer than that were the same way. I’d argue IOA was the most “complete” park since…Epcot may come close

I was just thinking about this. The paradigm we seem to look at these attractions is build cost, when in reality it seems TWDC is even more flinty when it comes to ongoing, recurring, operational costs.

Look around. They have plenty of underutilized, already built facilities and attractions. They just no longer want to staff them at a baseline operational level.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Until Disney announces their plans I’m taking everything I’m reading here with a grain of salt.

Personally I feel like everybody is bit too bias including myself on what their expectations are for this long term plan.

$60 billion is definitely an unrealistic number but even half that number could make a huge difference for the parks.
We’re returned to “believing everything” around here again. It’s like the 90’s

But the management hasn’t changed and they believe its smart to underdeliver

That list mystic has searched internet rumors pushers for and compiled is nuts.

Bob practically got “booed off the stage” yesterday for saying he’d spend $10 in the parks

Investors don’t want. They want profits and the perception the place can be burned down whenever they want for another $10 a share

Last edited:

James Alucobond

So studios and dak aren’t filled with “Disney visitors”?
Once again, I have no idea what you’re talking about or responding to. I simply said I don’t see how over half the balance of a 4-day vacation shifts toward Universal for the average family when height requirement issues remain and there will still be significantly more at Disney regardless of any updates Universal may make in the foreseeable future.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was just thinking about this. The paradigm we seem to look at these attractions is build cost, when in reality it seems TWDC is even more flinty when it comes to ongoing, recurring, operational costs.

Look around. They have plenty of underutilized, already built facilities and attractions. They just no longer want to staff them at a baseline operational level.
It’s absolutely the longterm costs. That shouldn’t be questioned

That’s what they avoid because they can’t cancel it in the future

CI is a shell game/financial tool

Health care is not

Haymarket2008

Iger is overselling.

We *will* see a very active construction cycle with high quality additions to the MK and AK, along with catching up on long-deferred maintenance property-wide.

We might see a freshening and fixing around DHS, and maybe one additive attraction.

We are not going to see the ambitious NW corner plan for DHS. We are not getting any more additive attractions at EPCOT. And as sad as it is, we should hope that they just leave SSE alone this cycle.

There will not be a 5th gate, at the very least in my lifetime (I'm 39).

In terms of MK and AK, this is all very welcome news. WDW (mainly Magic Kingdom) is desperate for a Disneyland 50th/60th anniversary level maintenance blitz. To me, that is paramount compared to expansion.

It is a shame that DHS won't be dealing with the NW corner...what has changed in the last few weeks?

Your EPCOT news is a heartbreaker. Although you are probably right when it comes to this administration getting their hands on Spaceship Earth.

PS when you say "additive" re: EPCOT, does that not include major refurbs or are you talking about something truly additive like Ratatouille?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Once again, I have no idea what you’re talking about or responding to. I simply said I don’t see how over half the balance of a 4-day vacation shifts toward Universal for the average family when height requirement issues remain and there will still be significantly more at Disney regardless of any updates Universal may make in the foreseeable future.

There are only a few rides slated for Epic Universe with no height requirement. That already makes a chunk of traditional Disney visitors reluctant. I also don’t personally understand how each park at Universal would consume a full day unless you’re throwing Volcano Bay into the mix.
Doesn’t read the way you intended

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

It's $60 billion divided by 10 years and 5 parks. Not that much more than is usually spent in capex.

James Alucobond

You said you can’t see “Disney visitors getting a full day out of universal”…which is not the same as “they’re more to do in magic kingdom”

We’re done here…it happens to everyone
I said I don’t see how you’re stretching 3 full days out of Universal (minus Volcano Bay) but only 1 out of Disney World, especially for families with young children. Please actually read before responding to me. My posts aren’t a vehicle for you to ping me just to reiterate an unrelated complaint. You also placed quotation marks around something that isn’t a direct quote from me to slightly twist what was said.

erasure fan1

WDW (mainly Magic Kingdom) is desperate for a Disneyland 50th/60th anniversary level maintenance blitz. To me, that is paramount compared to expansion.
The real answer is they should be doing both. Magic kingdom is completely under built for its guest count. Unfortunately they've sat on their hands for so long with both that now they're going to have a really hard time getting it accomplished.

Andrew25

The real answer is they should be doing both. Magic kingdom is completely under built for its guest count. Unfortunately they've sat on their hands for so long with both that now they're going to have a really hard time getting it accomplished.
Yeah this is the big issue. Lack of incremental capacity additions and lack of maintenance has caught up to them now at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom