News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

UNCgolf

I don't see how people do more than 3 days on a Universal vacation. I'm predicting at best Epic would make Universal a 3.5 day vacation for us. I can easily do 10 days at Disney

We did two days at Universal last time I was there and that was more than enough. We actually spent a decent amount of time at CityWalk because we were out of things to do in the parks (having Express Pass by staying at the Royal Pacific admittedly helped).

I don't think I could spend 10 days at Disney either, though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
EPCOT is easily a full day park for me, but that's because I enjoy exploring World Showcase, the aquarium, etc. -- it's lacking in quality attractions, especially compared to 30 years ago. Based on the criteria in the post I quoted, it's likely there are plenty of people who don't consider it a full day park because of the small number of quality rides.

There's a bunch of empty and/or underutilized space there right now. It's better than it was 5 years ago, but still needs a lot of work.
I can - and often do - go to Epcot everyday.

So there’s plenty of appeal.

But they haven’t “improved” it to the point where they accomplished much.

I reject the “it’s boring…there’s not enough IP” crowd - however. If thats the “problem”…there’s a train that goes to magic kingdom

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On the contrary, it's become a kids park. Ratatouille, Frozen, Nemo, Three Cabelleros, Honey I Shrunk/Imagination, Guardians of the Galaxy, Beauty and the Beast, loads of princesses, character meet 'n greets, Pixar Film Festival, scavenger hunts, Kidcot, Crush's talk, Journey of Water, the activites inside Mission Space, the activities inside Imagination, the activities inside Test Track...there's a full day of attractions aimed directly at kids, some of which replaced attractions aimed at the whole family.
You still see far less kids pounding around Epcot than the others lb for lb…

But kids are “down” across property as well. So that’s another issue altogether

Disstevefan1

I don't see how people do more than 3 days on a Universal vacation. I'm predicting at best Epic would make Universal a 3.5 day vacation for us. I can easily do 10 days at Disney
HateOtherParks.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The time a person spends at a park is going to largely be up to the personal choices/likes of the visitor to be sure. But how are yijj in getting out of HS in like 3 hours, absent just skipping large amounts of offerings? Hell just eating a single meal at one sit down restaurant is going to take up an hour of time. Add in all the shops, the shows, and then all the rides, if you are doing every then there is no way you are getting out of there in 3-4 hours
The most I’m typically in mgm is no later than about 2…if I go early.

There just isn’t that much and it’s a much smaller park. That’s usually like 3/4 of the rides. I don’t wait - usually - 90+ minutes for mediocre rides…so that is good to knock one or two out depending on the crowds. And we usually eat in brown derby. But I never go into a park with any “checklist” that has to get done. Maybe for my first 500 visits? Or my kids first 150?

But we passed that exit on the highway of life.

There’s more “must dos” for me at DAK than probably the other parks…but we spend the most time typically in Epcot.

James Alucobond

I’ll do this again - against all good judgement.
It's never stopped you before.
Well let’s just say that 3/1 comment was nuts. So that’s common ground

But again - this sentence doesn’t make sense. Just say you think Disney parks are better. 90% of people in a universal park each day are there for the day. Just like wdw.
This was all within the context of a time-constrained 4-day vacation. The contention was that guests would start allocating 3 days to Universal and 1 to Disney. This doesn't make sense. If you are time-constrained, I assume you will be trying to fit in as much as you can. Both existing Universal parks are completely doable within a single day, whereas Magic Kingdom alone is a struggle with a full day. Why would you allocate three-quarters of your time to the place that actually only requires less than half your time to fully experience, or even less than that if you have children too short for a lot of the rides? I was not saying that most people rush and visit multiple parks every day, just that if you're trying to maximize your time across four days, I can't imagine that anyone would reasonably recommend that balance since there is simply more to do at Disney. That's not changing even if the gap is closing a bit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's never stopped you before.
We all have to be “authentic”
This was all within the context of a time-constrained 4-day vacation. The contention was that guests would start allocating 3 days to Universal and 1 to Disney. This doesn't make sense. If you are time-constrained, I assume you will be trying to fit in as much as you can. Both existing Universal parks are completely doable within a single day, whereas Magic Kingdom alone is a struggle with a full day. Why would you allocate three-quarters of your time to the place that actually only requires less than half your time to fully experience, or even less than that if you have children too short for a lot of the rides? I was not saying that most people rush and visit multiple parks every day, just that if you're trying to maximize your time across four days, I can't imagine that anyone would reasonably recommend that balance since they're is simply more to do at Disney. That's not changing even if the gap is closing a bit.
That 3/1 thing was nuts. Just stirring the pot. Brer seems angry he lost his ride 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We did two days at Universal last time I was there and that was more than enough. We actually spent a decent amount of time at CityWalk because we were out of things to do in the parks (having Express Pass by staying at the Royal Pacific admittedly helped).

I don't think I could spend 10 days at Disney either, though.
Express pass leads to brain scramble…that’s the down side. Too many “screens and shakers”

So I agree there.

But Disney can’t…or won’t…get people through the lines…
Is that better and should we reward them buy dumping more days at astronomical prices?
Because that’s what happens in 10 days

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Let's try this again:

Iger reiterated the $60 billion plan and

Emphasis mine.

With this quote from Iger in mind, recall this coversation:

Some of our insiders are assuming budget cuts for some reason, but I'm not sure they have been actually told that the cuts are happening yet, especially after seeing Iger's comments.
You're placing a lot of faith in a certain poster who posted a park fans' dream list and it somehow has been treated as "insider info". You should take that list with not a grain of salt, but a salt lick.

And when Disney's CFO says their spending is going to be back-loaded toward the second half of the next decade, there's a reason for a statement like that.

tpoly88

Agree that the current parks need to fill out before a 5th gate is considered. Agree that Epcot needs a couple new pavilions in WS that have attractions. I heard years ago they were thinking on putting a Mt Fuji coaster in Japan but not sure if they have the space for it. Expand behind Big Thunder will be needed (although ill cry at Tom Sawyer island going away but it had its time), AK still has a lot to do there and they need to update that with putting in Indiana Jones in the dinosaur ride and expand that area with more rides. DHS to me has not been the same after Galaxy edge went in, park has lost it identity to me. With that said, Disney still has that family feel that Universal does not have (at least in my mind, universal seems cold) and that is what keep us all coming back. i will mention that I see the cast members on here saying there are some haters when they complain about Disney but i believe that is because the people complaining care so much about the future of the park. being an Italian from the NE we have a saying "we are not happy unless we complain and we do not complain about something we dont like.

JD80

EPCOT is easily a full day park for me, but that's because I enjoy exploring World Showcase, the aquarium, etc. -- it's lacking in quality attractions, especially compared to 30 years ago. Based on the criteria in the post I quoted, it's likely there are plenty of people who don't consider it a full day park specifically because it's lacking in major rides.

There's a bunch of empty and/or underutilized space there right now. It's definitely better than it was 5 years ago, but still needs a lot of work.

People can claim anything is a half day park.

EPCOT and MK are full day parks because you can't do everything in the park in a half day. You can objectively do everything in a half day in the other two parks.

When were you last at EPCOT? Just curious.

BrianLo

EPCOT and MK are full day parks because you can't do everything in the park in a half day. You can objectively do everything in a half day in the other two parks.

I think the ultimate barometer is can one engage in more than a days worth of activities without a height restriction? Magic Kingdom and Epcot you can. Nothing else you remotely can. The only other operator I can identify is Efteling.

And Universal is incredibly bad for it. A short three year old can experience two spinners and a frog choir at IOA. An averaged height 3/4 year old or a short 5 year old is capped to 5 B/C tickets at IOA and Kong. That’s Universal’s real short coming. Even DAK can entertain a family with a young child longer plus those attractions are of incredibly higher quality.

Which is fine in some ways. As ‘ride’ parks, Universal holds up well or ok. Epic looks like the only park that’s balanced in their portfolio.

UNCgolf

You're taking my comment completely out of context. Go back and read what I was responding to -- the fact that people can claim almost anything is a half day park is exactly what I was saying.

And I was last in EPCOT in 2022.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You’ve had 500+ visits? Oh my, no wonder you are so jaded with the company!

There must be a Disney anonymous group. 😂
Days in the park?

Probably.
But a good chunk of that I worked for…so that is a little different.

I’ve supported Disney across the board in almost every fashion you can think of…
…so why would I insist they do a better job?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let’s hope whatever gets approved is budgeted appropriately and the money is spent wisely.

WDW needs new rides at the end of the day and that investment needs to come sooner rather than later.
The problem is this management hasn’t done that…not even close.

And now they will? Maybe

But remember buddy boys ego was just threatened…big time…and investors want money…not magic.

The easiest way for them to make more is to charge more and cut out as much sunk cost as possible.

Even if they show data that lightning lane is a sure fire way to make bank EVEN when you spend…it’s gonna be a mess of upsells and surcharges and attendance will continue to fall…creating more pressure to upsell.

I’m calling it “Satan’s Sircle”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom