News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Gusey

A park across the ocean is Disneys response to EU? Don’t mean to be rude but that makes 0 sense what so ever. Disney has known about Epic for nearly a decade and has chosen to do nothing that is substantial enough to compete with EU at WDW. I don’t think EU will be a major problem for WDW as a whole, but that’s a whole other conversation.
Yes, DAW is not a direct response if you just look at just Orlando.
However, it is the closest we're getting to a new Disney Park worldwide, showing what Imagineers could do if they were to open another theme park in the US. Disney Adventure World will have three "new" lands when it becomes official next year to add to the recently opened Avengers Campus and Worlds of Pixar.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, DAW is not a direct response if you just look at just Orlando.
However, it is the closest we're getting to a new Disney Park worldwide, showing what Imagineers could do if they were to open another theme park in the US. Disney Adventure World will have three "new" lands when it becomes official next year to add to the recently opened Avengers Campus and Worlds of Pixar.
That’s not even close to the same thing…

…don’t make it so easy on little Bob and his atrocious park management in the US

PREMiERdrum

The comment from Iger suggests Henry Mystic is correct.
Iger is overselling.

We *will* see a very active construction cycle with high quality additions to the MK and AK, along with catching up on long-deferred maintenance property-wide.

We might see a freshening and fixing around DHS, and maybe one additive attraction.

We are not going to see the ambitious NW corner plan for DHS. We are not getting any more additive attractions at EPCOT. And as sad as it is, we should hope that they just leave SSE alone this cycle.

There will not be a 5th gate, at the very least in my lifetime (I'm 39).

Andrew25

My expectation is Disney prioritizing DAK to make it more relevant and finally capture guests late in the day. MK, while the least of the 4 WDW parks I'd argue needs work, is more a capacity fix they need.

IMO, I think they're approaching MK the wrong way. The park needs to utilize current areas (like the bulk of Tomorrowland) far better than they currently do.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Iger is overselling.

We *will* see a very active construction cycle with high quality additions to the MK and AK, along with catching up on long-deferred maintenance property-wide.

We might see a freshening and fixing around DHS, and maybe one additive attraction.

We are not going to see the ambitious NW corner plan for DHS. We are not getting any more additive attractions at EPCOT. And as sad as it is, we should hope that they just leave SSE alone this cycle.

Their plan is to really leave that corner of DHS basically abandoned, with nothing but the Disney Jr. show, some M&G's, and that waste of a space Star Wars whatever the heck it's called? It's sad how dead that courtyard is these days. I'd argue it needs attention far more than MK does.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My expectation is Disney prioritizing DAK to make it more relevant and finally capture guests late in the day. MK, while the least of the 4 WDW parks I'd argue needs work, is more a capacity fix they need.

IMO, I think they're approaching MK the wrong way. The park needs to utilize current areas (like the bulk of Tomorrowland) far better than they currently do.
Dak always needed more draw…because it’s such insanely high overhead that maximizing return make sense

But here we are 26 years in…20 with the same yutz in charge…and they have let it ride 90% of its history.

Now everyone is geeked for what appears to be a reskinned land?

When someone tells you who they are…believe them. I’m talking about Napoleon Bob (as usual)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Their plan is to really leave that corner of DHS basically abandoned, with nothing but the Disney Jr. show, some M&G's, and that waste of a space Star Wars whatever the heck it's called? It's sad how dead that courtyard is these days. I'd argue it needs attention far more than MK does.
I think they pooched both the studios and Epcot “redo”

But I know that just makes me the downer.

Let’s just gloss that they proportionally have the same attendance and appeal they did 20 years ago…minor details.

Brer Oswald

Iger is overselling.

This is why I have a hard time believing Disney will be “fine” after Universal has completed their current plans. Magic Kingdom won’t be impacted regardless, so even if Coco and Mona are the best rides ever, it won’t make much of a difference. People will still flock to that park.

Universal is the one that’s turbocharging. By 2030, Epic May very well be in the midst of its phase 2 (possibly done). USF will likely have Pokémon, giving that park a much needed anchor. Islands is already a full day park, and Zelda will only add to that (jury is still out on whether or not it’s finished by then).

Meanwhile DAK at best is looking at 2 new rides (Encanto & LK) and a retheme. I’d seriously hope Figment is addressed by then, but I doubt it.

Disney better be willing to cut prices or offer some amazing packages cause I don’t see how the average family vacation becomes anything other than 3 days at Universal, 1 day at MK.

James Alucobond

Disney better be willing to cut prices or offer some amazing packages cause I don’t see how the average family vacation becomes anything other than 3 days at Universal, 1 day at MK.
There are only a few rides slated for Epic Universe with no height requirement. That already makes a chunk of traditional Disney visitors reluctant. I also don’t personally understand how each park at Universal would consume a full day unless you’re throwing Volcano Bay into the mix.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are only a few rides slated for Epic Universe with no height requirement. That already makes a chunk of traditional Disney visitors reluctant. I also don’t personally understand how each park at Universal would consume a full day unless you’re throwing Volcano Bay into the mix.
Do you ever go to them?

Not a 14 hour day…but you can eat a day just as easily as you can dak or mgm

UNCgolf

This is why I have a hard time believing Disney will be “fine” after Universal has completed their current plans. Magic Kingdom won’t be impacted regardless, so even if Coco and Mona are the best rides ever, it won’t make much of a difference. People will still flock to that park.

Universal is the one that’s turbocharging. By 2030, Epic May very well be in the midst of its phase 2 (possibly done). USF will likely have Pokémon, giving that park a much needed anchor. Islands is already a full day park, and Zelda will only add to that (jury is still out on whether or not it’s finished by then).

Meanwhile DAK at best is looking at 2 new rides (Encanto & LK) and a retheme. I’d seriously hope Figment is addressed by then, but I doubt it.

That seems unlikely -- Disney will still be a better overall option for families with small kids.

That aside, Universal and Disney are very different experiences that aren't interchangeable. EU isn't really some fundamental shift for Universal compared to the existing parks.

EU is going to be very successful, but I doubt most current Disney visitors are going to mostly replace it with Universal. If people aren't huge fans of Universal now, I'm not sure EU is going to move the needle for them.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

That seems unlikely -- Disney will still be a better overall option for families with small kids.

That aside, Universal and Disney are very different experiences that aren't interchangeable. EU isn't really some fundamental shift for Universal compared to the existing parks.

EU is going to be very successful, but I doubt most current Disney visitors are going to mostly replace it with Universal. If people aren't huge fans of Universal now, I'm not sure EU is going to move the needle for them.
MK will likely always be the best family park. It has a lot of variety that was built up in its 50+ year history.

Epcot is still pretty boring for the kids, so if they do nothing, that’s not going to change.

DHS and DAK are weird in that they are positioned for thrill seekers, but still for those too timid by the larger rides. Too many height requirements and not enough to do for families. DHS is more well positioned than DAK, but it still needs another family/children focused land.

Universal has all the right IP, they just need to get more rides without a height requirement. Pokémon will add a much needed family/child anchor to the Studios park. Pokémon is number 1 for kids everywhere.

IOA is positioned as the thrill park, and that’s worked well for it. It does have a great kid focused land with Seuss.

Epic seems to have great variety, but again, there needs to be enough with minimal/no height requirements. I see USF (post Pokémon) and EU stealing away a lot of the family audiences from Epcot, DHS, and DAK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom