News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While it's encouraging that Disney is willing to invest much more into the parks now, and show true behind-the-scenes material, my interest is tempered knowing that many of the root problems with management and WDI remain.

For me, the new projects don't necessarily assure me that concerns about sightlines, capacity, operations and basic attraction design are given any more consideration. The last thing WDW needs is another giant box that moves 1800 people an hour on a good day. Yes, this time it may be true expansion, but anything added should enhance the park, not detract from it...or compensate for something else being closed.

That it's still IP only may be predictable and unsurprising, but it's disappointing when you think of what potential was out there for new ideas with this level of investment. We're finally getting back to the kind of investment WDW got 30 years ago...but it feels like it's to benefit the promotion of Disney+ more than the actual resort.

If spending x results in a net gain of only a handful of new build rides across WDW, that's another problem. Each of these expansions should have all manner of experiences, dining, live entertainment etc. Money may not go as far as it used to, but spending upwards of $500 million on one ride is unsustainable and undermining the future of the parks' growth.

Then there's the things that are still yet to be resolved. Things that have sat empty or unfinished for many years already. No replacements for previous entrainment cuts. Show quality issues. Improvements to rides that were not really improvements (like flash photos on HM). Space Mountain was supposed to be re-tracked 15 years ago...I'm hoping some of these billions will go into all that.

Big flashy new headliners are easy to sell and drum up excitement, but I again stress that the basics can't be forgotten, especially as construction impacts the guest experience in the short term.

With all that said, I would be more than happy to be proven wrong and have Disney deliver and then some.
Yeah…if they’re gonna slow roll minilands again…and doing it to take out older stuff like they’re so “sneaky”…the days in the parks won’t improve much. It has to be things at all the “levels”

BrianLo

I'm new to this board so sorry if this has been discussed before. Has Disney had construction limitations due to EPIC Universe taking a lot of resources? The timing is interesting that as EPIC Universe construction winds down, Disney construction will ramp up quickly.

Not exactly. But there has and will assuredly be some creative transition off the Epic project to WDI. Primarily because WDI is so actively poaching and in particular Florida natives will have far more job security on Disney. Not because Universal is stopping investment in Florida, but they’ll be investing less comparatively to the bolus that is Epic.

The Nintendo project team is likely transitioning Florida projects and almost everyone else to Universal Great Britain or WDI.

MagicHappens1971

Who cares what they call things? It’s based on a ticket system that’s been defunct for 40 years.

Please…dear soul…don’t lecture on “internal” stuff? Most of it is crap to keep the kids in line.

Judge only what you can touch as a tourist. It is literally all that matters.
I’m not lecturing. It is a fact, it’s not an arbitrary thing. Disney uses these designations to decide the “caliber” of an attraction.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not exactly. But there has and will assuredly be some creative transition off the Epic project to WDI. Primarily because WDI is so actively poaching and in particular Florida natives will have far more job security on Disney. Not because Universal is stopping investment in Florida, but they’ll be investing less comparatively to the bolus that is Epic.

The Nintendo project team is likely transitioning Florida projects and almost everyone else to Universal Great Britain or WDI.
…ummm

Are you saying Disney is overpaying people to work down the road? As in there’s tangible proof of that?

That would be a nice change if true…reversing a 15 year trend.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Compared to 3 years ago... very optimistic lol

I was very critical of Disney over the past few years, and while I don't agree with everything, it's at least refreshing to see projects start to come online. We obviously don't have closure dates or anything, but it does look like Disney is ready to start proper construction quickly.
Closure dates is a huge part of the problem

BrianLo

…ummm

Are you saying Disney is overpaying people to work down the road? As in there’s tangible proof of that?

That would be a nice change if true…reversing a 15 year trend.

Yes, thats what I’m saying. The millennial way is job mobility.

Even our last real celebrity imagineer working today is a Universal poach.

yensidtlaw1969

What’s an E ticket, again? The textbook reason 🤓
It's a ride that's built with the design classification of E-Ticket by its creators. Not that hard to understand, and not particularly subjective. The Imagineers are the authority here.

The biggest issue is that marketing has, on occasion, tried to upsell D-Ticket attractions as E-Tickets in publicity materials despite the designers fully admitting it isn't one.

The fact that the A-E Ticketing system is no longer in use for selling admission to attractions has no real impact on the very real ways in which the terms are still used today.

BrianLo

So in numbers? Or is this more a “that’s probably what they’ll do” based on the dynamics of what is going on construction wise?

Yes, this isn't unusual. Imagineering notoriously dumps a ton of people after their new resorts are done.

We'll never get 'the number', I don't work for UC or WDI HR. I quite frankly can't even name a UC employee so it doesn't matter to me, but look at who is aggressively hiring and who isn't.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's a ride that's built with the design classification of E-Ticket by its creators. Not that hard to understand, and not particularly subjective. The Imagineers are the authority here.

The biggest issue is that marketing has, on occasion, tried to upsell D-Ticket attractions as E-Tickets in publicity materials despite the designers fully admitting it isn't one.

The fact that the A-E Ticketing system is no longer in use for selling admission to attractions has no real impact on the very real ways in which the terms are still used today.
Actually the audience is the judges. And to go one further…I’d submit (just opinion) the longterm viability is just as important. 5,10,20 years down the road - as it were.

I do agree about the D thing…trackless and junior coasters in Orlando don’t meet the standards of the E tickets as they originally came about - based on their innovation, time and place in their markets

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, this isn't unusual. Imagineering notoriously dumps a ton of people after their new resorts are done.

We'll never get 'the number', I don't work for UC or WDI HR. I quite frankly can't even name a UC employee so it doesn't matter to me, but look at who is aggressively hiring and who isn't.
Grain of salt because one is aggressivley BUILDING and one has tumbleweed rolling past its little office behind horizons (or whatever is there now 🤪)

I don’t think little brother is done and will “yield the floor” so easily. They really haven’t let up for 12 years

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom