Disney plans hiring freeze, some jobs cut......

TP2000

They’ll make that back with Strange World, and then some 😂

Yes. This news of cutbacks and budget panics in Burbank is going to make the Strange World movie thread even more fun to watch next month!

Strange World production budget = $120 Million, box office breakeven at $360 Million

Tha Realest

Yes. This news of cutbacks and budget panics in Burbank is going to make the Strange World movie thread even more fun to watch next month!

Strange World production budget = $120 Million, box office breakeven at $360 Million
They’ll correct the ship with Elemental and Wish next year 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lilofan

Any company in the 2020's that would send their employees to "learn customer service" at the Disney Institute is either ridiculously bad at what they do, or they're laundering money in the Orlando area somehow. And I'm only half joking on that last part.

The Disney Institute was a concept that made a lot of sense in 1992. But now? It's a joke. Like you, I'm shocked to think it's still in business and still gets companies to give it money in the current Disney environment, especially in the Parks division.
Does that mean the lessons the Disney Institute staff teach companies that attend classes at DI are not being followed and modeled by the one and only Bob Chapek ?

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
The logic of Hollywood’s streaming-mania was that you needed huge amounts of content to flood your streaming service. Beyond quite a small number of animated classics, Disney didn’t have a substantial back catalog of classic cinema from before the 80s to pad their streaming service. So they bought one. That’s why Fox’s huge body of classic cinema is all available on Disney streaming services.

Except it’s not.

They seem to have forgotten a huge part of the “logic” of buying Fox as soon as they did it.

I’m very excited to see MCU versions of the X-Men and Fantastic Four, but I can’t help feeling there was a cheaper way to do that. Maybe Disney just really didn’t want Universal to be able to use Predator or Alien at HHN again?
Disney needs to sell 20th Century Studios!

TP2000

Wait…you just got back from 1955, McFly?

I'm in Las Vegas this weekend, where taxicabs are still making their last stand. I was going from Caesars Palace where I'd had a massive brunch at the Bacchanal Buffet up to the Neon Museum, and the driver had on a local news radio station and this blurb about Chapek making cuts and freezes came on.

I chuckled out loud in the cab, just as I imagine there were several folks in Tallahassee chuckling. ;)

Aside from that little nugget on the radio, and a few posts I've skimmed here, that's about all I know on this topic. But I will dig into it more later. Right now I'm supposed to be taking a Disco Nap before this evening's festivities. I'm here with old (and I do mean old!) friends from the service for a much-delayed vet reunion, and none of us are as young as we used to be. 😴

TP2000

Disney needs to sell 20th Century Studios!

20th Century Studios has had some of the biggest box office flops of the past year. Starting with the disastrous West Side Story eleven months ago, which cost them hundreds of millions. Then Death On The Nile, now Amsterdam is their latest huge flop, etc., etc.

Next up is Avatar this Christmas, which has to make $750 Million at the box office just to break even.

8 bucks a month isn't going to maintain production budgets of $100 Million to $250 Million per film. I've been saying that for a while here now, but somehow people think selling movies to American families for $8 for unlimited viewing is the same as selling them $60 in theater tickets per show.

The streaming business model has never made sense to me in the context of bloated production budgets and huge salaries the size of Hollywood egos. And now that's also apparently dawning on Burbank, perhaps too late. 🤔

TP2000

Chapek talked about 3 areas:...

3. SG&A costs. That's marketing, finance, accounting, HR, T&E, overhead, admin, miscellaneous supplies, IT. Again, NOT freaking ride maintenance and guest relations. Operational costs are the exact opposite of S&GA costs. We're talking about cubicle people, not costume people.
Exactly.

It's these cubicle people in Burbank, who took a Very Brave Earned Comp Day a few months ago...

DISNEY-LGBTQ-employees-walk-out-750x400.jpeg

And then they went and had a Mimosa Brunch on their Comp Day, after the pics were uploaded to Instagram. Brave! Powerful! Comp Day! Mimosas! 🍾

Vegas Disney Fan

Exactly.

It's these cubicle people in Burbank, who took a Very Brave Earned Comp Day a few months ago...

DISNEY-LGBTQ-employees-walk-out-750x400.jpeg

And then they went and had a Mimosa Brunch on their Comp Day, after the pics were uploaded to Instagram. Brave! Powerful! Comp Day! Mimosas! 🍾
That photo will probably be the first piece of evidence submitted in a retaliation / discrimination lawsuit should any of them get downsized.

Sharon&Susan

It's becoming increasingly difficult to find places to watch pre-2000 back catalog titles because of this streaming nonsense, made worse if you live outside the USA. I still have my physical media collection, but that's no excuse not to have these older titles out there.
Disney should really license out their movies to boutique labels (and I'm not talking about an occasional movie to Criterion) if they're not interested in putting new catalog titles out on Blu or 4K UHD themselves. No financial risk for them and there's thousands of movies owned by them not on Disney+ that they could license out without hurting their streaming business.

Last edited:

MrPromey

The perfect analogy…

Like he was holding off on playing Born to Run
And when he actually did decide to go, there was no pomp. It was like he was running away with someones betrothed daughter and their family silverware in the dead of night.

There was no talk about him thinking about leaving, a possible replacement, talk of staying longer. He was just suddenly gone and the other Bob was all that was left.

To further our original analogy, it was like he was half way through "Born to Run" when the house lights suddenly came on as he was being lifted out of the staduim by a rope from a helicopter... and then two weeks later, the world shut down.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

I think the thought in 2017/18’ish was that home DVD/blu-ray / physical media was dying (quick- go look how small the section is for DVDs and BD at Target) and they saw the unstoppable growth of Netflix. Rather than be disrupted by outside forces, they decided to do it to itself.

I don’t think D+ was a bad idea. Keeping a ton of content in “the vault” doesn’t make any sense. Developing really terrible programming for this service and the theaters also doesn’t make any sense. Picking fights in the culture wars with their lobbying and storytelling choices doesn’t make any sense. I think they find themselves in the predicament they’re in due to a lot of self-owns.
Depicting people that certain groups of bigots hate and fear is not “picking fights in the culture wars.”

Let’s can the stupid politics in this thread. I’m not in the mood for invoking the one situation in which Chapek and Disney are unquestionably the good guys.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And when he actually did decide to go, there was no pomp. It was like he was running away with someones betrothed daughter and their family silverware in the dead of night.

There was no talk about him thinking about leaving, a possible replacement, talk of staying longer. He was just suddenly gone and the other Bob was all that was left.

It was like he was half way through "Born to Run" when the house lights suddenly came on an he was being lifted out of the staduim by a rope from a helicopter... and then two weeks later, the world shut down.
He retired like a 100% bonafide, USDA Prime COWARD

plague scared and greedy

Go Back to threads in Feb 2020 and look at all the excuses

I know what I said

JUST BRING IT!!

MrPromey

I'm in Las Vegas this weekend, where taxicabs are still making their last stand. I was going from Caesars Palace where I'd had a massive brunch at the Bacchanal Buffet up to the Neon Museum, and the driver had on a local news radio station and this blurb about Chapek making cuts and freezes came on...
I know I'm helping take things off topic but gotta ask - how was the Neon Museum?

Last time I went, you had to book in advance and show up to a padlocked chain linked fence to get in and they were selling dollar bottles of water out of a cooler on the way into the tour. Was great fun, just the same but they were talking about the plans for the soon-to-be relocated classic motel front to serve as a welcome center. I'm guessing that's all been well completed by now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom