Disney plans hiring freeze, some jobs cut......

MrPromey

Because.
They.
Had.
No.
One.
To.
Replace.
Him.
!

(And still don’t)

Bob tried to leave the way bands handle their first couple ovations in live concert.

He walked off stage but the lights never went up and crew never came out to start taking down his podium.

Dude was just waiting in the wings until the roar was loud enough for him to come out all smiles and waves to say "awe shucks, I'll stay a little longer, guys! Wall Street - I LOVE YOU!" with a fist pump as the rhythm started back up behind him.

Last edited:

celluloid

I don't think it will go that far because the watercraft still has to be maintained even if they are not being used unless they are dry docked, but the rentals may be curtailed.

The watercraft may be just seen as obsolete if it goes that far. Let the guests have their short walks and the buses and Skyliner for the rest.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bob tried to leave the way bands handle their first couple ovations in live concert.

He walked off stage but the lights never went up and crew never came out to start taking down his podium.

Dude was just waiting in the wings until the roar was loud enough for him to come out all smiles and waves to say "awe shucks, I'll stay a little longer, guys! Wall Street - I LOVE YOU!" with a fist pump as the rhythm started back up behind him.
The perfect analogy…

Like he was holding off on playing Born to Run

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

So sad.

How do they lay off when they're still struggling to get to staffing levels that are appropriate?
"The beatings will continue until productivity improves" - Ramses II, 1290 BC 😆

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing earth shattering, but this was known IN DEPTH at the D23…kinda makes all those Josh bumbling “blue sky” parks presentations even bluer…new nighttime show for Epcot? The world ball is being dusted off right now as we speak…Dinoland will remain a closed down shopping mall parking lot, forget about the SE refurb, and without mentioning any names, another MK attraction might just remain in a holding pattern for the foreseeable future and now TWDC has the PERFECT excuse.
…there was nothing coming…it wasn’t less than obvious

Now I’m sure there will be people that say “oh…it was more than just talk…real work was being “discussed”…

But that’s what the senate always tells the plebs so they don’t riot

TP2000

I'm late to this party, but I just heard this news via AM talk radio (in a taxicab, no less!).

This has to sting that Chapek was forced to announce this three days after his nemesis Ron DeSantis won his re-election by a landslide. I imagine there were a few chuckles in Tallahassee after this Burbank announcement. :cool:

But I can't say I'm surprised that Burbank is in Slash The Budgets! mode now. Across most of their flagship movie divisions for the last year (20th Century, Pixar, Disney) they've had many giant flops. It started 11 months ago with the disastrous box office performance of West Side Story, then continued on through Lightyear and Amsterdam, etc., etc.

Plus pouring Billions into Disney+ and a "streaming!" business model that just seems like a sketchy pyramid scheme to me. When an American family of four has two choices to send Burbank money....
  1. Pay $60 to buy four tickets for a big budget movie in a theater
  2. Pay $8 to stream a big budget movie at home
How the heck does Burbank plan to make money on their big budget movies? 🤔

It's just a shame that the Parks properties in Anaheim and Orlando, who are still doing rather well, have to help paper over the repeated and wide-ranging failures of the "Smart Set" of hipster movie folks in Burbank and Emeryville.

celluloid

1. Pay $60 to buy four tickets for a big budget movie in a theater
  2. Pay $8 to stream a big budget movie at home
How the heck does Burbank plan to make money on their big budget movies? 🤔

These are great points that are being overlooked.

I take my family to see a movie theatrically that we really enjoyed. I buy the movie when it comes out. This is how it worked, particularly well for Disney since their start.

I can share a streaming service cost and see it from home, now as long as they keep it there I also own it along with the constant content pushing machine that costs them more than it costs me.

They ruined their own model.

Obobru

You can shutter the golf courses, Disney Institute , and probably many won't even blink an eye that they are shut down.
I can't believe the Disney institute is still running, isn't that where they teach other companies and their employees about how great Disney's business and customer service is and how you can apply it to your own business? I run a medium size business and our customer service blows Disney out of the water, funnily I used to give my team and some of our partner companies copies of The Disney Way book but now it's laughable how bad they are.

TP2000

I take my family to see a movie theatrically that we really enjoyed. I buy the movie when it comes out. This is how it worked, particularly well for Disney since their start.

I can share a streaming service cost and see it from home, now as long as they keep it there I also own it along with the constant content pushing machine that costs them more than it costs me.

And yet, they haven't reduced budgets and slashed marketing to account for streaming. Although yesterday's announcement tells us that reality is setting in finally in Burbank.

They spent $200 Million on Lightyear's production budget. And it lost them hundreds of millions.

They spent $80 Million on Amsterdam's production budget. And it lost them hundreds of millions.

Even their "successful" movies from Marvel don't make as much money back because they spend ridiculously huge amounts on production and marketing budgets.

Thor 4 had a production budget of $250 Million (?!?). Thus, it needed to make $750 Million globally to break even, and it pulled in $854 Million globally. That's a $100 Million profit that doesn't come close to covering the hundreds of millions lost on the other box office failures Burbank and Emeryville has had in the past year.

Tha Realest

I think the thought in 2017/18’ish was that home DVD/blu-ray / physical media was dying (quick- go look how small the section is for DVDs and BD at Target) and they saw the unstoppable growth of Netflix. Rather than be disrupted by outside forces, they decided to do it to itself.

I don’t think D+ was a bad idea. Keeping a ton of content in “the vault” doesn’t make any sense. Developing really terrible programming for this service and the theaters also doesn’t make any sense. Picking fights in the culture wars with their lobbying and storytelling choices doesn’t make any sense. I think they find themselves in the predicament they’re in due to a lot of self-owns.

TP2000

I can't believe the Disney institute is still running, isn't that where they teach other companies and their employees about how great Disney's business and customer service is and how you can apply it to your own business? I run a medium size business and our customer service blows Disney out of the water, funnily I used to give my team and some of our partner companies copies of The Disney Way book but now it's laughable how bad they are.

Any company in the 2020's that would send their employees to "learn customer service" at the Disney Institute is either ridiculously bad at what they do, or they're laundering money in the Orlando area somehow. And I'm only half joking on that last part.

The Disney Institute was a concept that made a lot of sense in 1992. But now? It's a joke. Like you, I'm shocked to think it's still in business and still gets companies to give it money in the current Disney environment, especially in the Parks division.

Tha Realest

And yet, they haven't reduced budgets and slashed marketing to account for streaming. Although yesterday's announcement tells us that reality is setting in finally in Burbank.

They spent $200 Million on Lightyear's production budget. And it lost them hundreds of millions.

They spent $80 Million on Amsterdam's production budget. And it lost them hundreds of millions.

Even their "successful" movies from Marvel don't make as much money back because they spend ridiculously huge amounts on production and marketing budgets.

Thor 4 had a production budget of $250 Million (?!?). Thus, it needed to make $750 Million globally to break even, and it pulled in $854 Million globally. That's a $100 Million profit that doesn't come close to covering the hundreds of millions lost on the other box office failures Burbank and Emeryville has had in the past year.
They’ll make that back with Strange World, and then some 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom