News Disney Parks Celebrate 90 Years of Mickey Mouse with the 'World’s Biggest Mouse Party'

Kman101

So, they put the 90 celebration special on Hulu. I got excited and decided to start watching...quit about 10 minutes in. I felt like I was watching America's Got Talent. What happened to ya Disney?

I feel like a lot of this stuff is done with underlying disdain. Weird, I know. Just how I feel.

Kman101

Weren't all of Disney's self-promotional shows put on TV (and now streaming) awful? Grab a handful of famous people, put them in awkward skits talking to a fur character that couldn't talk back, get someone to lip sync a poorly produced pop or Disney song, add in lazy choreography and forced smiles.

I'd say the content was overall better in a lot of them but yes that's what most of them were and always have been. I'm not sure why some think this is a new thing. It's just most of us don't care about who they showcase and the content is light. Some of it's subjective. I know you like to live in reality but sometimes an opinion is just an opinion, lol. Not fact, doesn't always need correcting, so to speak :)

What do you mean this direction they're going in? I remember the self-promotional shows going back to the 70s and they were always like that, and always awful.

Again, you aren't wrong (awful is a bit harsh, some are quite good content wise but yes at their core this is what they do; I just think some felt they did it better "back then" but it's also easy to get caught up in nostalgia). But sometimes an opinion is just an opinion :)

KBLovedDisney

What do you mean this direction they're going in? I remember the self-promotional shows going back to the 70s and they were always like that, and always awful.
I never got the chance to watch the previous ones, but I always thought Disney offered something like parades mashed up with Fantasmic like quality in these type of shows. They were always this bad?

brb1006

I never got the chance to watch the previous ones, but I always thought Disney offered something like parades mashed up with Fantasmic like quality in these type of shows. They were always this bad?
For a period in the 80's, Main Street Electrical Parade had a temporary float for The Fox and The Hound that was very short lived to the point you hardly see any videos besides two pictures. They also did an Return To Oz float which burned down.

KBLovedDisney

For a period in the 80's, Main Street Electrical Parade had a temporary float for The Fox and The Hound that was very short lived to the point you hardly see any videos besides two pictures. They also did an Return To Oz float which burned down.
Oh wow! I would have loved to seen those, especially Return to Oz. I still have the VHS tape.

brb1006

Oh wow! I would have loved to seen those, especially Return to Oz. I still have the VHS tape.
Here's the only photos I could find. These are from 1981
MSEP0020b-web.jpg

MSEP0019-web.jpg

msep0021.jpg

Disneyland+Elect.+Parade+82+Fox+and+The+Hound.jpg

ELP+Fox+and+the+Hound+DOP.jpg

The Return to Oz float (1985)
Mar_Float1.jpg

TTA94

So. For anyone that wants a chance of getting passholder merchandise on Friday morning lol, I’m guessing this would be a midnight camp out event? But no seriously for events like this, where do guests typically line up at? TTC? And how does that work for those that have more easier access to the MK by means of the hotels? Just curious how that has played out in the past? Do hotel guests around MK, as well as resort busses, basically get into MK first before those waiting for the first monorail and or fairy at the TTC?

Tori

So. For anyone that wants a chance of getting passholder merchandise on Friday morning lol, I’m guessing this would be a midnight camp out event? But no seriously for events like this, where do guests typically line up at? TTC? And how does that work for those that have more easier access to the MK by means of the hotels? Just curious how that has played out in the past? Do hotel guests around MK, as well as resort busses, basically get into MK first before those waiting for the first monorail and or fairy at the TTC?

I reeeally don't think you'll have to camp out over night. Im sure getting there at 7am will suffice.

Only AP holders are allowed in from 7:30am-9am.

Kman101

I imagine there will be signage and castmembers can tell you where to go. I saw a video of the last one and while the line seemed long it didn't really seem too bad. Not sure on the last parts ...

Kman101

I saw a 1988 TV ad (like it was from TV Guide) on Twitter for Mickey's birthday and it seemed to be the same, lots of celebrites (and it was NBC stars because it was on NBC). I don't know how the actual special turned out but seems to be more of the same. Somehow though it feels more blatant and hollow now. And I think since the age of social media, it's not really special anymore to see celebrities gather and crow about him.

And look at Good Morning America this week, a blatant week long promo the parks. But they don't really show you much. But hey, we can mobile order, and promote Google Home! I know it's likely always been like this. It's just ... eh

VJ

A Variety article elaborates on the brand-new single, "It's A Good Time", written for Mickey's 90th and apparently planned to be rolled out globally:

As the Walt Disney Company gears up for the 2019 celebration of Mickey Mouse’s birthday with “Mickey’s 90th Spectacular” Sunday on ABC, the company is also preparing to drop an original tune, “It’s a Good Time,” written and produced by New York’s DJDTP for use in Disney theme parks around the world.
[...]
That’s exactly the upbeat vibe Walt Disney Imagineering & Parks Live executive in charge of music Matt Walker was looking for in a song to celebrate Mickey’s 90th. “We wanted a celebratory track that was musically infectious, memorable and made you want to dance,” he says, adding DJDTP’s “felt fresh.” The resulting single, “It’s a Good Time,” lives up to its title, combining big brass and a Broadway feel with a hip-hop bedrock of strong rhythm, layered with top 40 melody and vocal arrangements, according to Theodore, who also references the classic M-I-C-K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E chorus. (Minnie gets equal time, since it’s her 90th too.) “I wanted the pre-chorus to be rap, the verses to be song and then the chorus to just explode into a giant party,” he says. It is currently undergoing translations into multiple languages for distribution around the world.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
A Variety article elaborates on the brand-new single, "It's A Good Time", written for Mickey's 90th and apparently planned to be rolled out globally:

That description makes me think... steaming pile of garbage. Odds are I won't be wrong.

I just want to know where I can dance with my special Mickey's 90th birthday cupcake, because that's what everyone wants now days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom