News Disney Parks Celebrate 90 Years of Mickey Mouse with the 'World’s Biggest Mouse Party'

Kman101

Half way through Mickey's 90th Spectacular on ABC. It's starting to become a bit to sugary sweet. Now I don't have a problem with sweetness or anything saccharine. But compared to the previous anniversary specials of the past. Mainly the 50th and 60th Anniversary specials. It's way to sugary sweet compared to the former specials.Half way through Mickey's 90th Spectacular on ABC. It's starting to become a bit to sugary sweet for my taste. Now I don't have a problem with sweetness or anything saccharine. But compared to the previous anniversary specials of the past. Mainly the 50th and 60th Anniversary specials. It's way to sugary sweet compared to the former specials.
P9Xu.gif

I miss when these type of specials Disney used to make.

Mickey's 50th Anniversary Special (1978)

I love the ending to the 50th where they sang "The Whole World Wants to Wish You Happy Birthday Mickey Mouse"

Most of it was terrible like I expected. It had a few nice moments spread in. I feel like there's a disconnect, in many ways (I mean, I loved Zac Brown Band singing Bare Necessities, and the singers were all well chosen I thought, but why was this to celebrate Mickey Mouse?). This special belonged on the Disney Channel as some throwaway concert, not the celebration of a 90 year old American Icon. The few nice segments actually surprised me. But it was too few and far between.

mickeyfan5534

I knew what I was getting going in. A cheesy, buzzwordy "celebration" of Mickey. It was at it's best when they were actually celebrating Mickey. Mickey on the drums, the Mickey Mouse Club tribute, the Make-A-Wish segment, Mickey and Minnie's waltz (if it had a better music choice), I'd even say the fashion part for the sheer played straight campiness of it, great moments. The not great moments were everything else. I give it a C-. It barely passed.

Fox&Hound

Yeah, that was pretty horrendous. I knew it would be random celebrities that are owned by Disney in some kind of contract clause forced to appear and say vague things while current pop hits are sung throughout, but still....That was pretty weak. I was hoping for some kind of sneak peak or mention of the upcoming Mickey ride, but I guess that was too much to ask for...

Kman101

Yeah, that was pretty horrendous. I knew it would be random celebrities that are owned by Disney in some kind of contract clause forced to appear and say vague things while current pop hits are sung throughout, but still....That was pretty weak. I was hoping for some kind of sneak peak or mention of the upcoming Mickey ride, but I guess that was too much to ask for...

Yeah, it was weak. I agree with @mickeyfan5534. Lots of little great moments sprinkled in, but overall, meh. But it's more or less what I went into it expecting it to be. I wish they did something different as a celebration. This would have been fine for say Disney Channel.

Kman101

Meh to that. All I see is "COME BUY OUR MERCHANDISE AND FOOD!" I mean, look how special they treat the passholders. Come buy our merch at 7:30am. YAYAYAYAY! Sigh. I wish I wasn't becoming so jaded ... lol. But it's all so transparent. I understand when you vlog daily you need cupcakes and merchandise as incentive but eh ... and of course the now grandfathered in #DanceParty as the go to entertainment option (they are relying too much on it; I can grumpily admit they have a place, sometimes ... it just seems a lame way to avoid both real musicians and having character meet and greets; I guess I can get why it's appealing; it's just felt lazy to me but to each their own). I guess for a birthday party a dance party is fitting this time? ;)

It's kind of funny what they call a celebration now. So lame.

It'd be nice for once to read a Disney Parks Blog lawyer approved blog post where I actually want to participate and go to the parks for it (I would have participated in the passholder things, but I wasn't included). But they seem to be causing the opposite ...

Last edited:

prberk

I knew what I was getting going in. A cheesy, buzzwordy "celebration" of Mickey. It was at it's best when they were actually celebrating Mickey. Mickey on the drums, the Mickey Mouse Club tribute, the Make-A-Wish segment, Mickey and Minnie's waltz (if it had a better music choice), I'd even say the fashion part for the sheer played straight campiness of it, great moments. The not great moments were everything else. I give it a C-. It barely passed.

I agree. It was just about 10% better than I expected (which was a generic "Disney Night" at "Dancing With the Stars" that mentioned Mickey Mouse but ignored his significant music -- similar to the Disneyland 60th). I glad to see, in between the pop stars, the vignettes about Mickey's history and real impact through the years.

And I had some hope with the references to the Mickey Mouse Club that they would get at least that part right in the end. And I was glad they included the two original members. Not sure if they even tried to get Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilara, or Ryan Gossling (from the '90s), or Lisa Whelchel (from the '70s incarnation) to perform. But they did mention them.

But the big miss, I thought, was not concluding the whole thing with the famous ending song to the Club: "Now it's time to say good-bye to all our company: MIC- See ya real soon - KEY - Why? Because we LIKE you! MOUSE!" Then they could easily have used Walt's vocal from one of the MMC episodes (which he was still doing at that time) to actually say good-bye, as Mickey did on every episode of the original. Would have been perfect, and obvious for anyone doing their homework. But I can't be guaranteed that people doing the stage stuff actually did their homework. And that is the subtle but important difference between these shows (including the Disneyland 60th) and the ones that Disney used to do routinely -- thoroughly modern but intricately and cohesively weaving in other important elements, like in this case the culturally significant theme song directly related to the star of the show.

prberk

Meh to that. All I see is "COME BUY OUR MERCHANDISE AND FOOD!" I mean, look how special they treat the passholders. Come buy our merch at 7:30am. YAYAYAYAY! Sigh. I wish I wasn't becoming so jaded ... lol. But it's all so transparent. I understand when you vlog daily you need cupcakes and merchandise as incentive but eh ... and of course the now grandfathered in #DanceParty as the go to entertainment option (they are relying too much on it; I can grumpily admit they have a place, sometimes ... it just seems a lame way to avoid both real musicians and having character meet and greets; I guess I can get why it's appealing; it's just felt lazy to me but to each their own). I guess for a birthday party a dance party is fitting this time? ;)

It's kind of funny what they call a celebration now. So lame.

It'd be nice for once to read a Disney Parks Blog lawyer approved blog post where I actually want to participate and go to the parks for it (I would have participated in the passholder things, but I wasn't included). But they seem to be causing the opposite ...

I agree completely. I will say this: Look for the Life Magazine special edition on Mickey Mouse in stores now. They actually did it right for his 90th. Great history and great historical pictures. But then again, edited by someone outside of the company. Surprise, surprise: another company takes more care with Disney's mascot than the company itself is celebrating him.

Kman101

I agree completely. I will say this: Look for the Life Magazine special edition on Mickey Mouse in stores now. They actually did it right for his 90th. Great history and great historical pictures. But then again, edited by someone outside of the company. Surprise, surprise: another company takes more care with Disney's mascot than the company itself is celebrating him.

I happily purchased it about a week or so ago :) I still need to skim through it actually. I put it aside and sort of forgot about it! LOL. And you reminded me about it. Glad to know it's well done.

I know so many love the lifestyle of cupcakes and dance parties but I guess it's not for me.

jrhwdw

With all the money MK is saving from no Holiday Trolley, No Holiday MRFF and STILL NO NIGHT PARADE!, MK should be able to give Mickey a proper Birthday! If MK can't even do that....maybe it's time for some heads to roll and to company to change some things!

Maybe the parks would have more money if the Disney Company dropped ABC. We don't need ABC in the family to do Christmas specials do we? The Christmas parade has been on ABC since 1983, Disney bought ABC in 1997?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, they put the 90 celebration special on Hulu. I got excited and decided to start watching...quit about 10 minutes in. I felt like I was watching America's Got Talent. What happened to ya Disney?

Weren't all of Disney's self-promotional shows put on TV (and now streaming) awful? Grab a handful of famous people, put them in awkward skits talking to a fur character that couldn't talk back, get someone to lip sync a poorly produced pop or Disney song, add in lazy choreography and forced smiles.

KBLovedDisney

Weren't all of Disney's self-promotional shows put on TV (and now streaming) awful? Grab a handful of famous people, put them in awkward skits talking to a fur character that couldn't talk back, get someone to lip sync a poorly produced pop or Disney song, add in lazy choreography and forced smiles.
Gawd I hope this direction they are going isn't permanent, but I am starting to fear the worst.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With all the money MK is saving from no Holiday Trolley, No Holiday MRFF

I don't understand how not doing a version of a particular show, but doing the regular version is saving money. Could you explain? Where is the savings coming from and how much are you presuming is being saved?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom