Disney Parks and Consumer Products now one division

Disney Irish

Premium Member
wishful thinking...
who do you think approves those projects?

There have already been rumors that the park heads are getting more ability to decide things like content and ride systems going into the parks. So while Chapek (and possibly Iger in some projects) is the final approval, the park heads are going to have to take on more responsibility.

TROR

Original Poster
There have already been rumors that the park heads are getting more ability to decide things like content and ride systems going into the parks. So while Chapek (and possibly Iger in some projects) is the final approval, the park heads are going to have to take on more responsibility.
While I am happy about this, especially if it means more small quality changes to the parks like potentially moving the Astro Orbitor, I still don't see a new attraction with no IP tie-in happening any time soon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
While I am happy about this, especially if it means more small quality changes to the parks like potentially moving the Astro Orbitor, I still don't see a new attraction with no IP tie-in happening any time soon.
But is that any different to what was happening before this announcement? The trend for now is IP tie-ins for all offerings in the parks. It will swing back eventually to more original content. In the end as long as the offering is solid the content of that offering is less important.

smile

the park/resort heads want to keep their jobs and will continue to relent, as evidenced

Disney Irish

Premium Member
the park/resort heads want to keep their jobs and will continue to relent, as evidenced

You're looking at this from today, and not looking toward the future. Any decisions being made today won't come to light for several years. For example there have been rumors of WDW heads trying to get the ride system from Shanghai Pirates and further expand Flight of Passage ride system using different content for both for future projects.

TROR

Original Poster
But is that any different to what was happening before this announcement? The trend for now is IP tie-ins for all offerings in the parks. It will swing back eventually to more original content. In the end as long as the offering is solid the content of that offering is less important.
Eh. I'm actually starting to get tied of all the IPs tbh. I'm not inherently against IPs or anything. If they announced a new ride based off Beauty and the Beast or Tangled in Fantasyland, I'd be happy to hear that. My problem more comes with it's always the same IPs of Frozen, Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar.

I know most people don't but I already have Star Wars and superhero fatigue with the movies and shows. We have so many new Star Wars things coming out in the new 5 years that I just don't care about. Solo, 3 new TV shows, 2 completely new series of films that have nothing to do with each or Skywalker. Only things Star Wars I'm looking forward to are Ep IX and Galaxy's Edge. Marvel, though, I'm just sick of this never ending franchise. There's no where to escape the constant hype of Black Panther or Infinity War. Plus there's so much other superhero content like the DC movies and all the TV shows. I wish the MCU would just end after Avengers 4 but instead they're going to drag it out instead of letting it end on a high note.

The offerings they've done for Pixar, Marvel, and Frozen in the parks though have all been lackluster or just flat out sucked so the track record for these IPs in the park are so weak to me there's nothing but to be bitter about it.

smile

You're looking at this from today, and not looking toward the future. Any decisions being made today won't come to light for several years. For example there have been rumors of WDW heads trying to get the ride system from Shanghai Pirates and further expand Flight of Passage ride system using different content for both for future projects.

reducing parks to mere marketing functions is so short-sighted it's not even funny, not to mention disrespectful to the medium
- ride system x for park y using ip z doesn't really bode well for creative freedom, does it?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
reducing parks to mere marketing functions is so short-sighted it's not even funny, not to mention disrespectful to the medium
- ride system x for park y using ip z doesn't really bode well for creative freedom, does it?

Well it depends on your perspective. They created two new ride systems, both of which have been successful, and want to use them in the parks in different way. Its not like they are going to replicate the exact ride. For example they aren't going to put another Flight of Passage in WDW.

A new attraction doesn't require a brand new ride system every single time.

smile

A new attraction doesn't require a brand new ride system every single time.

i'll agree to that, and even to you saying that it really boils down to the end result...
however, that doesn't change the grave concern i have for twdc that imagineering/parks are now officially a secondary medium to film and television akin to video games, cheap plastic toys, and sweatshop plush dolls

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
i'll agree to that, and even to you saying that it really boils down to the end result...
however, that doesn't change the grave concern i have for twdc that imagineering/parks are now officially a secondary medium to film and television akin to video games, cheap plastic toys, and sweatshop plush dolls

Huh.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

So wait, if it all comes down to execution. And the park heads are already pushing to get the rights to further use successful ride systems for new attractions. Then why would you have a grave concern? If the end result is a well executed attraction using a successful ride system shouldn't that be all that matters?

Last edited:

Rich T

1521069127626.png

smile

in deeming studio and media networks as content engines for the company, focus has been now 'officially' pointed towards tv and film to create and prosper across the globe and for all consumer product divisions, including parks and toys, to aid in that effort; i worry relegating the unique park experience to a support medium is detrimental

we shall see how close that comes to practice, and if so, to what end

smile

So wait, if it all comes down to execution. And the park heads are already pushing to get the rights to further use successful ride systems for new attractions. Then why would you have a grave concern? If the end result is a well executed attraction using a successful ride system shouldn't that be all that matters?

i'll use frozen in epcot as an example of a ride that i think is very well executed (esp. considering it's an overlay) - m:b less so
...and i enjoy when i hop on, but am so opposed to its existence for multiple reasons

suppose compare it to a 'guilty pleasure' cheesy pop song or something - i can groove to it, but the thought of all music becoming such or nothing 'more' just grinds my gears (and ears)

granted, this is all colored with what is used, how it's used, so on and so forth; because it has to be - but it can be a very slippery slope creatively, as they'll be adaptations in one form or another
- the pandora approach is an interesting one, however, in that it uses the ip world as foundation yet ditches the characters... sw in a somewhat similar fashion - so, again, we'll see

lazyboy97o

A bunch of cool rides is an amusement park. Themed entertainment is more than just that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom