News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

flynnibus

Premium Member
Your point was comprehended and addressed in my post. There is nothing for them to "predict". They know exactly what types of passes and reservations that they've sold

forget-it-donny-youre-out-of-your-element.jpeg

Q_Division

Don't disagree - but a few hours on day 1 of downtime isn't the end of the world IMO... it's the all the scenarios that can't be solved with self-service going forward that are the bigger topic IMO.

That's very true and completely agree. If they can't "patch" the system to handle things like multiple/part used tickets etc. very quickly so the "average" customer can do it, it will create a lot of "overhead" for the CMs in customer services and probably a lot of "annoyance" on social media

flynnibus

Premium Member
You're severely downplaying the failure that occurred yesterday. There were people who couldn't even log in to their account after 12+ hours of trying.

Just going on the reports here... seems most people were able to get on the site by midday... the problem was not being able to complete their transactions.

DisneyOutsider

Yeah, he's trolling you at this point I believe. I blocked him a long time ago unfortunately.

They do know they have issues. They don't really care and haven't invested the money to fix it.

They should have an exact count of guests with tickets staying at their resort as well as all the passholders. They know the demand but they don't care. And yes as consumers we deserve better. Not sure why folks constantly give Disney a pass on their lousy website and IT system. It's NOT good. And EVERYTIME there are issues with signing up for things. THEY KNOW IT and do nothing about it. But we're just supposed to say "oh well it's like that all the time?" LOL NO

Taking your lead on that one.

Q_Division

My theory on the poor performance of Disney's web sites is that there are a lot of legacy systems involved that have to be interacted with in many of the transactions. So it doesn't matter if it's an internal facing or guest facing site, they all suffer from similar issues. The system is only as good as the weakest (and slowest) part of the system, and no amount of throwing more web servers is going to help with it.

What is perhaps surprising is that those legacy systems that are the bottleneck have existed for so long and never been updated.

That's almost certainly true and I see the same sort of issues at work. That said I do find it "disappointing" that a company such as WDC can't sort that out. That said if it's anything like work then you're always battling against someone in "management" who doesn't "get it"

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree.. I said this yesterday. I am in IT and working on an SAP implementation for 10,000 users. We do phases, last week was a dress rehearsal, this week is Day in the Life. For people to try it out and see where there may be issues. But overall besides some setting issues, the system works. I've been on the platform at my job for 10 years working in various positions. It amazes me, if we had a flop like this... I would be collecting the dole.

And if you are an ops guy... you could point blame at the guy writing the requirements. Again, my comment was "when you read through all the scenarios people have here its eye opening for all the permutations their systems have to account for"

It wasn't about a pass for their service downtime.. but commentary about the complexities they face just implementing what would appear to be a simple request like 'require a reservation...' and its eye opening to see just how many variables and combinations customers can come up with.

In theory, Disney's move to expiring tickets (usable in only the fixed year) should simplify this as it reduces the number of variations people can bring to the table... but as a developer and product owner I find these rollouts so interesting to see what they face.

Last edited:

Kman101

So what happens if you have both an AP and a resort booking? 🤔

That's my question too. I'm capped at three already (I have a resort stay and am also an AP) so what does that mean for me on Friday? It's so confusing. I really hope these glitches get fixed. It's very confusing.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I agree.. I said this yesterday. I am in IT and working on an SAP implementation for 10,000 users. We do phases, last week was a dress rehearsal, this week is Day in the Life. For people to try it out and see where there may be issues. But overall besides some setting issues, the system works. I've been on the platform at my job for 10 years working in various positions. It amazes me, if we had a flop like this... I would be collecting the dole.
I'm betting you've been working on that SAP implementation for far more than 90 days though...and that you still have access to the experts on the legacy systems...

Kman101

Havent seen it addressed anywhere, but is it safe to assume we will be allowed to leave and re-enter the park?

Looks that way since reservations are for the duration of the park hours. WDWMAGIC said yes so that's good. I figured as much. They should know exactly how many people to expect.

Goofnut1980

I'm betting you've been working on that SAP implementation for far more than 90 days though...and that you still have access to the experts on the legacy systems...
Yes. We have been doing this is waves for almost a year now. Started not the west coast, next go-live is July 20th and its all being done virtually instead of traveling and being in person. Luckily the legacy system is AS400 and many have used it over the years. Which helps make training a bit easier. It is fun though. My 6 months in LA was the best.. Disneyland every other day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom