News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

flynnibus

Premium Member
This was the Disney CSMs over the weekend...
462imc.jpg

I know everyone loves to hate on Disney IT.. but when you read through all the scenarios people have here its eye opening for all the permutations their systems have to account for.

DisneyOutsider

I know everyone loves to hate on Disney IT.. but when you read through all the scenarios people have here its eye opening for all the permutations their systems have to account for.

Sure.. but how is that anyone else's fault but their own? Disney fans have to stop giving them a pass on their dreadful IT infrastructure. I can understand if your site has some downtime in the initial surge, but that's not what happened yesterday. What happened yesterday was incompetence, and the worst part was it's not the first time.

And let's not act like the complexities of different types of passes and guests is insurmountable.. that's bull.

Kman101

Sure.. but how is that anyone else's fault but their own? Disney fans have to stop giving them a pass on their dreadful IT infrastructure. I can understand if your site has some downtime in the initial surge, but that's not what happened yesterday. What happened yesterday was incompetence, and the worst part was it's not the first time.

And let's not act like the complexities of different types of passes and guests is insurmountable.. that's bull.

Exactly.

NO ONE expected it to go well but it's ridiculous we expect this from them. We should expect and demand better. We constantly let them get away with the bare minimum and accept it as 'well that's how it goes'.

ALL OF US contributed to the issues yesterday but Disney should not be 'surprised' at the demand to their website. It was foolish of them to open it up to resort stays all the way through September 2021.

And now there is still glitching in the system which prevents folks from reserving all of their days.

None of it is 'whining', it's stating how it is and that they need to do better.

Goofnut1980

Mine was fixed this morning. I was able to do my mid sept trip and my early December trip. We aren't big park hoppers but it would be nice if they bring that back by December. We typically only go to AK and HS for 2-3 hours a few times during the trip and the rest is spent at EP or MK. So to be able to go there for a small time period would be great!

I am also anxious to see how the lines go without fast passes. I honestly think it will fly by much easier. In my personal opinion I am one of the people that likes the original paper FP over the FP+ because I think I had more freedom for my days. However having spent 6 months in LA for work (from Aug-Sept). The MaxPass is brilliant. It works very well and I never noticed the attractions being too crazy. I could go at 6pm and still get on attractions.

A thought, could you do MaxPass, FP, or virtual queue for every attraction to keep the pace of folks moving throughout the parks? hmmmm. I guess keeping people in lines though does keep them from causing congestion in area's of the parks.

Touchdown

I want everyone to take a step back...

Outside of the first few days, are any parks sold out?

Ok good, then you don’t need to worry, there is still time, next block doesn’t open until the 24th and it will only be APs w/o a reservation who are limited to 3 days and likely to be local and want to go in July.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Did you not comprehend what I said? This isn't an 'infrastructure' point... but about PERMUTATIONS and the dreadful amount of variations in combinations that people can contrive in how they book trips. Imagine trying to write some sort of simple rule like "you must check for a reservation..." when you have the wild combinations that even this thread has shown..

like tickets that span multiple reservations... parties that vary... inconsistent mappings between people in the same party... multiple ticket types at the same time... conflicting constraints.. etc.

Just trying to predict all the variations is nuts. And much of that isn't even from Disney's selling constraints, but simply the human elements of combining things.

I think people simply don't grasp the complexities involved because they've never dealt with the kind of work themselves.

Kman101

Mine was fixed this morning. I was able to do my mid sept trip and my early December trip. We aren't big park hoppers but it would be nice if they bring that back by December. We typically only go to AK and HS for 2-3 hours a few times during the trip and the rest is spent at EP or MK. So to be able to go there for a small time period would be great!

I am also anxious to see how the lines go without fast passes. I honestly think it will fly by much easier. In my personal opinion I am one of the people that likes the original paper FP over the FP+ because I think I had more freedom for my days. However having spent 6 months in LA for work (from Aug-Sept). The MaxPass is brilliant. It works very well and I never noticed the attractions being too crazy. I could go at 6pm and still get on attractions.

A thought, could you do MaxPass, FP, or virtual queue for every attraction to keep the pace of folks moving throughout the parks? hmmmm. I guess keeping people in lines though does keep them from causing congestion in area's of the parks.

Happy to hear yours was fixed. Mine was almost a few times and I'd select my fourth and then I'd get an Olaf error that wouldn't fix itself. Oh well. I wonder if by Friday when AP's can make reservations I feel like it may fix my issue for some reason, but probably not.

I hate sounding petty about more than three but if I have a resort stay I should be able to get all days, period. lol. It's just frustrating as I don't know if it's on my end or theirs. And wait times to call are not good :/

Kman101

Ok good, then you don’t need to worry, there is still time, next block doesn’t open until the 24th and it will only be APs w/o a reservation who are limited to 3 days and likely to be local and want to go in July.

I don't blame anyone for stressing out. They should be allowed to be frustrated the system is garbage and they run the risk of losing a park day for their expensive trip. First world theme park problems, yes. We all know that and are aware.

But yes, not a lot is sold out.

I think it's amusing we're not allowed to demand a better IT system.

disneygeek90

That's me. I may reserve one day in September for my dad's birthday but other than that I'll be trying to continuously roll over 2 days in July and August.

And sadly we have to wait until the 26th.

Goofnut1980

I agree.. I said this yesterday. I am in IT and working on an SAP implementation for 10,000 users. We do phases, last week was a dress rehearsal, this week is Day in the Life. For people to try it out and see where there may be issues. But overall besides some setting issues, the system works. I've been on the platform at my job for 10 years working in various positions. It amazes me, if we had a flop like this... I would be collecting the dole.

Q_Division

Whilst this is true and it was never really going to be able to do everyones requirements at start on day 1. I can't help feeling they should have done a better job with scaling and load management, it's not like they don't know lots of people are going to try and use the system.

Goofnut1980

Happy to hear yours was fixed. Mine was almost a few times and I'd select my fourth and then I'd get an Olaf error that wouldn't fix itself. Oh well. I wonder if by Friday when AP's can make reservations I feel like it may fix my issue for some reason, but probably not.

I hate sounding petty about more than three but if I have a resort stay I should be able to get all days, period. lol. It's just frustrating as I don't know if it's on my end or theirs. And wait times to call are not good :/
I am crossing my fingers for you! I almost picked up the phone today and canceled the trips because I couldn't get it to work. Almost makes me wonder if they did it on purpose... Would it surprise you??
Also, someone needs to get a hair dryer and point it at Olaf... His shenanigans are getting quite annoying. Melt him!!! LOL

flynnibus

Premium Member
Whilst this is true and it was never really going to be able to do everyones requirements at start on day 1. I can't help feeling they should have done a better job with scaling and load management, it's not like they don't know lots of people are going to try and use the system.

Don't disagree - but a few hours on day 1 of downtime isn't the end of the world IMO... it's the all the scenarios that can't be solved with self-service going forward that are the bigger topic IMO.

DisneyOutsider

Did you not comprehend what I said? This isn't an 'infrastructure' point... but about PERMUTATIONS and the dreadful amount of variations in combinations that people can contrive in how they book trips. Imagine trying to write some sort of simple rule like "you must check for a reservation..." when you have the wild combinations that even this thread has shown..

like tickets that span multiple reservations... parties that vary... inconsistent mappings between people in the same party... multiple ticket types at the same time... conflicting constraints.. etc.

Just trying to predict all the variations is nuts. And much of that isn't even from Disney's selling constraints, but simply the human elements of combining things.

I think people simply don't grasp the complexities involved because they've never dealt with the kind of work themselves.

Your point was comprehended and addressed in my post. There is nothing for them to "predict". They know exactly what types of passes and reservations that they've sold. It's ludicrous that people paying Disney prices are okay with this. It's not just about yesterday.. this a sustained pattern of failure. It absolutely about the infrastructure and how inherently flawed it has been for a long time now. It's a failure from top to bottom.

Kman101

I am crossing my fingers for you! I almost picked up the phone today and canceled the trips because I couldn't get it to work. Almost makes me wonder if they did it on purpose... Would it surprise you??
Also, someone needs to get a hair dryer and point it at Olaf... His shenanigans are getting quite annoying. Melt him!!! LOL

lol. Thank you! I have three so I feel 'greedy' wanting more but that's the rule. As a resort guest and an AP I shouldn't have an issue booking every day. But I'm trying to be understanding at the glitch.

Sometimes I do think it's on purpose, lol and no it wouldn't surprise me. Others have gotten surveys about the reservation system. Not me, lol.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My theory on the poor performance of Disney's web sites is that there are a lot of legacy systems involved that have to be interacted with in many of the transactions. So it doesn't matter if it's an internal facing or guest facing site, they all suffer from similar issues. The system is only as good as the weakest (and slowest) part of the system, and no amount of throwing more web servers is going to help with it.

What is perhaps surprising is that those legacy systems that are the bottleneck have existed for so long and never been updated.

Kman101

Your point was comprehended and addressed in my post. There is nothing for them to "predict". They know exactly what types of passes and reservations that they've sold. It's ludicrous that people paying Disney prices are okay with this. It's not just about yesterday.. this a sustained pattern of failure. It absolutely about the infrastructure and how inherently flawed it has been for a long time now. It's a failure from top to bottom.

Yeah, he's trolling you at this point I believe. I blocked him a long time ago unfortunately.

They do know they have issues. They don't really care and haven't invested the money to fix it.

They should have an exact count of guests with tickets staying at their resort as well as all the passholders. They know the demand but they don't care. And yes as consumers we deserve better. Not sure why folks constantly give Disney a pass on their lousy website and IT system. It's NOT good. And EVERYTIME there are issues with signing up for things. THEY KNOW IT and do nothing about it. But we're just supposed to say "oh well it's like that all the time?" LOL NO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom