News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Chapek indicates Reservation System is here to stay.

Q: You were able to make improvements that you made with the parks closure that you may not have otherwise been able to make. Can you talk about some of these technological improvements and efficiencies and how you improve the experiences of the parks?

Chapek: Sure, we took the opportunity to revisit sort of our legacy operations to improve the yield because it is the ultimate end in a capacity constrained environment but also to improve our guest experience will have an opportunity to look at things like pricing and ticketing outside the constraint of an ongoing concern and an ongoing business to be shut down for a year so that really gave us the opportunity to say when we emerge: How do we want to emerge and how does that fit our yielding strategy and our guest experience strategy?​
Things like annual pass -- it's probably no better example here than annual pass where it’s a legacy system people will keep signing up for year after year which may not play into our yield management strategy in an ideal way so we had a chance to thoughtfully and thoroughly reconsider that.​
Uh.. cost management: We had a chance to really sort of wipe the slate clean and look at how we manage cost throughout our operations. And guest-facing things like mobile food ordering; and our mobile food ordering has skyrocketed: because we advanced the cause while we were out doing everything by app and that obviously has some implications on labor things like contactless checking into a hotel that obviously has guests benefits but also cost benefits for us as well and then things like virtual queues – we played around with virtual queues when we had the unprecedented demand with Star Wars land when we open those up in both coasts but now we've got an opportunity to sort of the explore that as a guest experience lever to make sure that people can you know do things and not spent too much time standing in lines and in queues, so I think this is sort of likely to impact our prospects going further into the future in terms of margins well beyond covid-19, because again, it’s not often you get no 12 months unfortunately where you have to stop the world and stop our business but we certainly took full advantage of that to re-contemplate how we run our business.​

Q: Jumping back to dynamic pricing, I think it’s something you’ve been using for several years, which has helped to manage yield, do you see potential then for better yield management longer term because you can kinda continue to explore that?

Chapek: Yeah, it’s more important than ever I think not only from a demand management standpoint but also from a guest experience standpoint our yield has been up double-digits as I think I referenced in the earnings call and there's a lot of shifts between the constituencies of ticket types that we will be proactively managing. Again [there is] tremendous disparity in yield or per-caps per guest depending on what ticket type they come in at and this gives us the opportunity to really look at that​
And of course we got a new reservation system at Disneyland not unlike the one that we’ve got at Walt Disney World and Disneyland of course being our most constrained park in terms of demand and being excessive supply and that's going to give us a chance to really strategically manage that attendance verses price balance that we've been working on as you as your reference, so I think it's really going to be almost a paradigm shift.
You know we've had essentially so many legacy systems that we've relied on that has somewhat constrained us from a technology standpoint in terms of fully going into yield management in as sophisticated way as we would like and this pause has given us the ability to do that so we're looking forward to the re-emerging fully once we get full demand and employing a lot of these is utilities.​

hopemax

But you know what makes me sadder? The fact that they don't care. I've been a loyal WDW fan for 38 years and they don't care because my wallet isn't big enough for them anymore. It doesn't matter that I have been to Disneyland and Paris Disneyland, I'm just not important enough for them to care because I can't ring the cash register loud enough.
I say it's because we aren't putting the dollars in the "right bucket, at the right time." I am a pin collector, and it is nothing for me to spend $400 on pins in one store, and then buy more in another store, and another. One day I realized I could be spending $1000 per store and shop 10 stores, and it wouldn't matter because I wasn't spending 5 nights in a $200 hotel room. Those hotel guests would have better FP access, dining reservation access than me and there was no amount of money I could spend in other ways that would get me that access. So you can ring the cash register extremely loud, and it still not matter.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Q: You were able to make improvements that you made with the parks closure that you may not have otherwise been able to make. Can you talk about some of these technological improvements and efficiencies and how you improve the experiences of the parks?

Chapek: Sure, we took the opportunity to revisit sort of our legacy operations to improve the yield because it is the ultimate end in a capacity constrained environment but also to improve our guest experience will have an opportunity to look at things like pricing and ticketing outside the constraint of an ongoing concern and an ongoing business to be shut down for a year so that really gave us the opportunity to say when we emerge: How do we want to emerge and how does that fit our yielding strategy and our guest experience strategy?​
Things like annual pass -- it's probably no better example here than annual pass where it’s a legacy system people will keep signing up for year after year which may not play into our yield management strategy in an ideal way so we had a chance to thoughtfully and thoroughly reconsider that.​
Uh.. cost management: We had a chance to really sort of wipe the slate clean and look at how we manage cost throughout our operations. And guest-facing things like mobile food ordering; and our mobile food ordering has skyrocketed: because we advanced the cause while we were out doing everything by app and that obviously has some implications on labor things like contactless checking into a hotel that obviously has guests benefits but also cost benefits for us as well and then things like virtual queues – we played around with virtual queues when we had the unprecedented demand with Star Wars land when we open those up in both coasts but now we've got an opportunity to sort of the explore that as a guest experience lever to make sure that people can you know do things and not spent too much time standing in lines and in queues, so I think this is sort of likely to impact our prospects going further into the future in terms of margins well beyond covid-19, because again, it’s not often you get no 12 months unfortunately where you have to stop the world and stop our business but we certainly took full advantage of that to re-contemplate how we run our business.​

Q: Jumping back to dynamic pricing, I think it’s something you’ve been using for several years, which has helped to manage yield, do you see potential then for better yield management longer term because you can kinda continue to explore that?

Chapek: Yeah, it’s more important than ever I think not only from a demand management standpoint but also from a guest experience standpoint our yield has been up double-digits as I think I referenced in the earnings call and there's a lot of shifts between the constituencies of ticket types that we will be proactively managing. Again [there is] tremendous disparity in yield or per-caps per guest depending on what ticket type they come in at and this gives us the opportunity to really look at that​
And of course we got a new reservation system at Disneyland not unlike the one that we’ve got at Walt Disney World and Disneyland of course being our most constrained park in terms of demand and being excessive supply and that's going to give us a chance to really strategically manage that attendance verses price balance that we've been working on as you as your reference, so I think it's really going to be almost a paradigm shift.
You know we've had essentially so many legacy systems that we've relied on that has somewhat constrained us from a technology standpoint in terms of fully going into yield management in as sophisticated way as we would like and this pause has given us the ability to do that so we're looking forward to the re-emerging fully once we get full demand and employing a lot of these is utilities.​

In summary: guest satisfaction is a legacy system that does play into their yield management system.

Everyone laughed at Bob thinking he was a buffoon and a placeholder for Iger. He’s much worse. He’s emblematic of people that would stab their own mothers in the back if it meant earning an extra buck.

Goofyernmost

I say it's because we aren't putting the dollars in the "right bucket, at the right time." I am a pin collector, and it is nothing for me to spend $400 on pins in one store, and then buy more in another store, and another. One day I realized I could be spending $1000 per store and shop 10 stores, and it wouldn't matter because I wasn't spending 5 nights in a $200 hotel room. Those hotel guests would have better FP access, dining reservation access than me and there was no amount of money I could spend in other ways that would get me that access. So you can ring the cash register extremely loud, and it still not matter.
You are totally correct, but ringing the cash register loud enough has to include the spending of the $200 to $600 per night hotel fees and the sinfully overpriced foods for three meals a day. It seems lately they don't even extend many perks to those that do ring it loudly. I suspect that the Disney Board Room wall mural consists of the old P. T. Barnum quote "There's a sucker born every minute".

I get to eat the same things, if I wish, offsite for a hell of a lot less, and spending that much money for a 60 day advance on grabbing three, count 'um, (3) FP's, that seldom come out to be just the ones you wanted, is not worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I have loved going to WDW for almost 4 decades now. I have from the moment I drove under the "Welcome to Walt Disney World" sign on World Drive in 1983. I was hooked at that point. I went with my wife and two daughters, (ages 6 and 9) and I know for a fact that for the hours I spent in the park I was mentally younger then they were. The place erased the responsibilities of a 35 year old husband and father to support and continue a comfortable life style for all of them. It just lifted that burden for a few hours and did so for most of the subsequent 48 trips over those years.

Now it is just to structured. I might as well be working as trying to figure out what I need to do, when I need to do it, how it is done and still have the stress lifted. It just doesn't happen anymore. The magic that drove me to literally dream about going, year after year, has just been replaced by the memories of the fun it once was for me. I still enjoy, or have enjoyed, visiting the parks, but now they seem to have put one to many barricades up blocking any desire to go again.

DisneyCane

I would imagine that when things go back to "normal," if you stay at a Disney resort you will always be allowed into the parks. For offsite and locals (including passholders) you will need a park pass. They don't really need to put a limit on total days for passholders if they do this, they can just limit the total reservations you can have at one time and possibly limit the number in a rolling four week period or something like that.

Parker in NYC

Capitalism! Don’t like it, don’t go!

How anyone can continue to buy into DVC with these new developments (much less the state of everything for more than a few years already), brings masochism to a new level.

Rich Brownn

You are totally correct, but ringing the cash register loud enough has to include the spending of the $200 to $600 per night hotel fees and the sinfully overpriced foods for three meals a day. It seems lately they don't even extend many perks to those that do ring it loudly. I suspect that the Disney Board Room wall mural consists of the old P. T. Barnum quote "There's a sucker born every minute".

I get to eat the same things, if I wish, offsite for a hell of a lot less, and spending that much money for a 60 day advance on grabbing three, count 'um, (3) FP's, that seldom come out to be just the ones you wanted, is not worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I have loved going to WDW for almost 4 decades now. I have from the moment I drove under the "Welcome to Walt Disney World" sign on World Drive in 1983. I was hooked at that point. I went with my wife and two daughters, (ages 6 and 9) and I know for a fact that for the hours I spent in the park I was mentally younger then they were. The place erased the responsibilities of a 35 year old husband and father to support and continue a comfortable life style for all of them. It just lifted that burden for a few hours and did so for most of the subsequent 48 trips over those years.

Now it is just to structured. I might as well be working as trying to figure out what I need to do, when I need to do it, how it is done and still have the stress lifted. It just doesn't happen anymore. The magic that drove me to literally dream about going, year after year, has just been replaced by the memories of the fun it once was for me. I still enjoy, or have enjoyed, visiting the parks, but now they seem to have put one to many barricades up blocking any desire to go again.
Actually what PT said was "No one ever went broke overestimating the stupidity of the American public"

matt9112

The track record of cramming people into the parks was forced upon them when
  1. their product became overwhelming popular, and,
  2. they sold tickets and passes enabling an arbitrarily large number of folks to show up at the same time.

Theoretically and previously, everyone with a park pass and an any-time ticket could all decide to show up at MK on September 13. MK would hit phased closing almost right at opening and hundreds of thousands of guests would be turned away at the gate TTC parking lot I4.

WDW had no way of preventing that from happening except to use carrots and sticks: Increased prices, surge prices, discount off-peak, etc...

Two different CEOs have talked about "the problem" of too many people in the park.
  • Guest satisfaction goes down and it hurts the brand which hurts every other Disney-branded profit center.
  • Once restaurants and food service hit their capacity and stores can't fit any more people, then profit from concessions is maxed out... more people does not mean more 'yield' from them.
  • Over-packed parks require more employees to manage the crowds that aren't spending more.

Disney doesn't gain from over-packed parks. The Bobs talk delightedly about how they increased revenue and 'yield' from parks with less attendance.

Disney now has a tool to keep parks from becoming over-packed in advanced.
By your logic however they should only need that for what? 14 days a year? And im being generous or are you inplying lower park capacity period forever.

matt9112

In summary: guest satisfaction is a legacy system that does play into their yield management system.

Everyone laughed at Bob thinking he was a buffoon and a placeholder for Iger. He’s much worse. He’s emblematic of people that would stab their own mothers in the back if it meant earning an extra buck.

I didn't laugh...i knew a stuffed animal salesman was the worst person for the job.

Parker in NYC

Let’s annotate this, shall we? Please feel free to rewrite/refine/append.

Chapek: Sure, we took the opportunity to revisit sort of our legacy operations​
Profit-losing. APs and DVC be damned.
to improve the yield​
To take the guests for all they’re worth. APs and DVC be damned.
because it is the ultimate end in a capacity constrained environment​
Because there aren’t enough attractions.
but also to improve our guest experience​
Take more of their money.
will have an opportunity to look at things like pricing and ticketing outside the constraint of an ongoing concern and an ongoing business to be shut down for a year​
#blamecovid
so that really gave us the opportunity to say when we emerge: How do we want to emerge and how does that fit our yielding strategy and our guest experience strategy?​
Money and money.
You third-class citizens don’t make the money so you’re cancelled. APs and DVC be damned.
Uh.. cost management: We had a chance to really sort of wipe the slate clean and look at how we manage cost throughout our operations.​
Screw the cast members.
And guest-facing things like mobile food ordering; and our mobile food ordering has skyrocketed: because we advanced the cause while we were out doing everything by app and that obviously has some implications on labor things like contactless checking into a hotel that obviously has guests benefits but also cost benefits for us as well​
Screw the cast members. Who needs the personal experience from a company that used to be the gold standard in customer service.
and then things like virtual queues – we played around with virtual queues when we had the unprecedented demand with Star Wars land​
Not until RoTR which has lousy capacity and can’t operate in any realm of acceptability.
when we open those up in both coasts but now we've got an opportunity to sort of the explore that as a guest experience lever to make sure that people can you know do things and not spent too much time standing in lines and in queues,​
To spend money.
so I think this is sort of likely to impact our prospects going further into the future in terms of margins well beyond covid-19, because again, it’s not often you get no 12 months unfortunately where you have to stop the world and stop our business but we certainly took full advantage of that to re-contemplate how we run our business.​
#blamecovid

Chapek: Yeah, it’s more important than ever I think not only from a demand management standpoint​
Money. APs and DVC be damned.
but also from a guest experience standpoint​
our yield has been up double-digits as I think I referenced in the earnings call and there's a lot of shifts between the constituencies of ticket types that we will be proactively managing.​
Fewer folks, more time in the shops.
Again [there is] tremendous disparity in yield or per-caps per guest depending on what ticket type they come in at and this gives us the opportunity to really look at that​
APs and DVC guests are useless.
And of course we got a new reservation system at Disneyland not unlike the one that we’ve got at Walt Disney World and Disneyland of course being our most constrained park in terms of demand
and being excessive supply and that's going to give us a chance to really strategically manage that attendance verses price balance that we've been working on as you as your reference, so I think it's really going to be almost a paradigm shift.
You know we've had essentially so many legacy systems that we've relied on that has somewhat constrained us from a technology standpoint in terms of fully going into yield management​
in as sophisticated way​
Corporate speak for more money. APs and DVC be damned.
as we would like and this pause has given us the ability to do that so we're looking forward to the re-emerging fully once we get full demand and employing a lot of these is utilities.​
APs and DVC be damned.

The track record of cramming people into the parks was forced upon them when
  1. their product became overwhelming popular, and,
  2. they sold tickets and passes enabling an arbitrarily large number of folks to show up at the same time.

Theoretically and previously, everyone with a park pass and an any-time ticket could all decide to show up at MK on September 13. MK would hit phased closing almost right at opening and hundreds of thousands of guests would be turned away at the gate TTC parking lot I4.

WDW had no way of preventing that from happening except to use carrots and sticks: Increased prices, surge prices, discount off-peak, etc...

Two different CEOs have talked about "the problem" of too many people in the park.
  • Guest satisfaction goes down and it hurts the brand which hurts every other Disney-branded profit center.
  • Once restaurants and food service hit their capacity and stores can't fit any more people, then profit from concessions is maxed out... more people does not mean more 'yield' from them.
  • Over-packed parks require more employees to manage the crowds that aren't spending more.

Disney doesn't gain from over-packed parks. The Bobs talk delightedly about how they increased revenue and 'yield' from parks with less attendance.

Disney now has a tool to keep parks from becoming over-packed in advanced.
This^ but With a huge caveat, they have to lower the “capacity” to a point where we go back to a point where the lines and the crowding don’t feel so oppressive anymore. We have all talked endlessly about how much more crowded the parks feel/are now then in the past. It could allow them to have the right staffing so that lines move quicker. It could allow them to do better maintenance, both ride and general. If the park reservation system allows them to do this, then I am willing to live with it. Again a huge “if”

One other thing that could possibly help but I don’t think I have seen an answer to. When paid FastPass comes in is the total amount of FastPasses available going to be less than the current/past amount that was available? @marni1971 have you seen anything on this?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
By your logic however they should only need that for what? 14 days a year? And im being generous or are you inplying lower park capacity period forever.

I don't need to imply it...
I think some people have alluded to it, but the parks final max capacity “post-pandemic” will likely be lower than the previous max capacity.

Still working to get a few more sources to verify this, but it seems to make sense for the reasons I’ve been told.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Let’s annotate this, shall we? Please feel free to rewrite/refine/append.

Profit-losing. APs and DVC be damned.

To take the guests for all they’re worth. APs and DVC be damned.

Because there aren’t enough attractions.

Take more of their money.

#blamecovid

Money and money.

You third-class citizens don’t make the money so you’re cancelled. APs and DVC be damned.

Screw the cast members.

Screw the cast members. Who needs the personal experience from a company that used to be the gold standard in customer service.

Not until RoTR which has lousy capacity and can’t operate in any realm of acceptability.

To spend money.

#blamecovid

Fewer folks, more time in the shops.

APs and DVC guests are useless.

Corporate speak for more money. APs and DVC be damned.

APs and DVC be damned.
You could have saved time with the annotation: 'Cuz Diznee is a bizness!'

flynnibus

Premium Member
I could see Disneyland moving to an airline pricing model.

Based on booking your reservation, your price will be based on the booked capacity when you book it. They could move away from fixed calendar pricing and move full on into dynamic demand based pricing when they force everyone to have a park reservation.

So Bob can get his yield...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom