Disney offering incentives for Disney Dining Plan guests to go quick service

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
This whole DDP overhaul is making me crack up. Why is it that Disney's solution to everything is to make it more complicated?

Community Colleges nationwide could make a fortune offering evening classes in How To Take A Walt Disney World Vacation.

Sometimes when reading all this dining stuff I feel stupid I dont "digest" it all if you will.

IMO what it seems like is they are prepping to end free dining and offer that 2 CS meal plan. That takes A TON of luster off of that deal. I LOVE the TS meals, planning my ADRs where I want to eat and all that jazz. Its a lot of work but thats the fun of it! Seems like they wanna take my fun away! :cry:

imamouse

Disney has been doing this for a couple years already. When I went back in September of 2006, we used our TS credits for QS many days and it was either two snacks or the free gift which was a lanyard and pin ( not of your choosing ).

Which did you choose?

imamouse

Sometimes when reading all this dining stuff I feel stupid I dont "digest" it all if you will.

IMO what it seems like is they are prepping to end free dining and offer that 2 CS meal plan. That takes A TON of luster off of that deal. I LOVE the TS meals, planning my ADRs where I want to eat and all that jazz. Its a lot of work but thats the fun of it! Seems like they wanna take my fun away! :cry:

Then I hope you plan to stay at a deluxe resort next year:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=343606

DisneyGigi

They offered us something similar to this last year with a pin and a lanyard rope instead of the bag. We did not take it but were given the certificates when we ate at Cosmic Ray's & Pizza Planet even though we did not exchange a table service. I guessed maybe people were not doing it so they gave them away?? :shrug:

*the pins were very cute they were all airplanes with different characters and a cheaper type lanyard rope, the kids ended up with 8 of them.*

zjer

Wasn't there an option in the past where you could trade in a table service credit for two counter service credits? Is this no longer an option?:shrug: I swear I did that a couple years ago.

Ausdaddy

Wasn't there an option in the past where you could trade in a table service credit for two counter service credits? Is this no longer an option?:shrug: I swear I did that a couple years ago.

Not sure about a couple years back, but that was not the case last year.

minnie61650

1: enough of this free dining promotion crap, you want a ridiculously good promotion for the off-sason, offer cheaper "off-season/sept only" tickets, or really deep discounts on rooms to the general public for that time. ........

In 2003 WDW offered stay for 7 nights pay for 4.(I think End of Aug - Mid Oct.)

In 2004 WDW offered stay for 7 nights pay for 5.( early fall again)

Then 2005 Free dining came out.( early fall)

WDW must have thought it was a better promotion ( either more guests taking advantage of it or less costly to them ) because they offered it again in 2006,2007, & 2008.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

WDW must have thought it was a better promotion ( either more guests taking advantage of it or less costly to them ) because they offered it again in 2006,2007, & 2008.
The word "free" will always generate a greater response even if the numbers are a wash.

lavazza

We received this during free dining in 06 (minus the bag). It's not really a new concept, although it's interesting they are now advertising it.

mickeysaver

I am so glad that I got my coworker to commit to making ADR's months ago for her trip during Free Dining. She looked at me like I was from another planet everytime I mentioned working on her itinerary and planning out the meals, but she trusted me and thankfully, she has an ADR for each of her TS credits. I will tell her about this swap out plan if things don't go as planned for her, but I think this is a total rip off. It beats getting nothing for the TS credit, but not by much.

Montyboy

They did offer it a few years ago. My daughter and I skipped a table service because we were too beat from the day's activities. If I remember correctly, we skipped Boma.

bugsbunny

This is great news! WDW took a mediocre plan and added a short changed option! Great thinking outside the box like this just proves to me I'll never have the smarts to be an Imagineer. :ROFLOL:

Montyboy

This is great news! WDW took a mediocre plan and added a short changed option! Great thinking outside the box like this just proves to me I'll never have the smarts to be an Imagineer. :ROFLOL:

But it is an option. If you miss your table sevice time, what are your chances of making another one somewhere else?

I'll go one step further and take issue with this offer being labeled an incentive. Picture parents with two sleepy or cranky (or other dwarf names) kids. They are probably not too interested in a table service meal. It's not a good deal, but it might keep guests appeased when trying to feed their family.

slappy magoo

It's a "better promotion" because it generated more of a response. And THAT was because it's a better deal. Let's face it, 4 adults willing to stay in a Value, splitting the cost of that room 4 ways, are paying about 25 bucks a head to be staying on-property AND eating. About 45 bucks a head a day for the same deal in a moderate. Taken on its face, it's a great deal. So naturally, WDW has since tinkered with the deal to make it less great while still seeming AS great (or, great enough) for the people using it. So, now the rooms where the deal is available becomes more limited. No big deal, IF you're lucky enough to get a room. Then they severely limit what children can order on the kids' menu. Then they start cutting into the variety of meals offered, because if every restaurant is only making 8-10 entrees (and if EVERY restaurant offers the same 3 or 4 kids' entrees), they save money by buying bigger quantities of fewer ingredients. Again, if you're eating for free, what do you care? But then it starts to affect the other guests who are paying for food of a lesser quality (and less variety) then what they used to get.

And to be fair, this is all also an inevitable byproduct of Disney's Magical Express. Now that WDW has the ability to make it easier for guests to never go off-site, the incentive to make them happy to stay on-site is less pronounced.

Now, what people are starting to see is the inevitable blowback. Food seems less appetizing, the Dining Plan (for those paying for it) is less of a value, and WDW keeps looking for ways to minimize loss during the free dining plan promotion, at the expense of the rest of the year. AND, as the OP confirms, lots of people aren't even able to take advantage of the free dining plan, and WDW is trying to offer incentives to keep those people happy (and not go off site) At some point, they're going to rethink the value/risk of the promotion, and probably decide it's not worth it. It's alienating the paying customers, and many of the customers taking advantage of the promotion find it not worth the hassle and (if they're not getting what they were promised) kind of a shell game.

Here's another potential solution, were they to keep the promotion going. It doesn't address the quality of offerings, but could conceivably make it easier for people to get ADRs. If you're on the free dining meal ticket, then for every 3 nights you stay onsite, you get your 3 snacks, 3 counter service meals and 3 table-service meals. BUT 2 of those 3 table-service meals have to be used during breakfast and lunch. And it keeps going like that for every additional 3 nights of stay, with the dinner table-service credit available after each 3rd night:

7 night stay? 5 breakfast/lunch options, 2 dinner options
8 night stay? 6 breakfast/lunch options, 2 dinner options
9 night stay? 6 breakfast/lunch options, 3 dinner options

Of course, this doesn't mean you have to wait until your 3rd night stay to USE a dinner option, only that your stay has to be at least 3 nights to GET one, and at least 6 nights to get TWO, 9 nights to get three, etc. This will force people getting the free meals to break up their schedules, not strictly use them for dinner (thereby also freeing up the space for more paying customers), and use them at breakfast & lunch (especially lunch, where portions tend to be smaller, and the cost WDW incurs to feed people for free will be less). I'm sure some of the people who are used to the dining promotion the way it is will be cranky-pantses about it, but IMHO, there are going to be more and more restrictions on the promotion anyway, this is the least offensive, the most fair to everyone on the plan, and potentially frees up some ADRs at night for paying customers, except of course at the restaurants that are always a pain to get adr's for.

DisneyWorld30th

We are on the "Dining Deluxe" plan in late September 2008. We booked our reservation very late and have found it very difficult to get a Reservation at the popular theme park locations.

We will most likely take advantage of this promotion at least once during the week. Sitting at a table for three meals a day gets very long and very repetitive.

Having to eat a cheap meal (with no tip) at Columbia Harbour House or Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café won't kill us!

I'm sure if we were on the standard dining plan, I wouldn't want to waste one of my table services for a quick service!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom