News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

G00fyDad

We always go for two weeks anywhere between early August and late September and in all my trips and visits to DHS, I have never waited for the GMR. You walk in and straight on at any time of day. I've never even had the chance to watch the preshow in the theatre. I check the MDE wait times every now and then throughout the year for fun and is always 5 or 10 minutes. It's not the super popular always 60 minutes+ wait people are now making it out to be. I'm know people are upset but whining about how awful 'Mickey' is going to be is not going to change Disney's mind.

First, you need to play the lottery if you never had to wait to ride this attraction, even recently. With luck like that you'll do well. Second, no one here is saying that the lines are always 60+ minutes. We are saying that the queue is sometimes filling up at least half the switchbacks. Even that would only amount to a 20 minute (at best) wait. Third, no one is whining. ;)

Kman101

I'm sure the ride will be fun. It may even be worthy of the venue. The animation style and character design is still busy and ugly, IMHO. It feels like a Flash-animated "Ren & Stimpy" (or -- considering the creator, "Dexter's Laboratory.") with an even thicker black color outline. And I say that while genuinely liking quite a lot of the writing, humor, and tone of the scripts. If they had taken a more "Get a Horse" approach, I'd probably have applauded. (still would have preferred a new build... but...)

While I don't know until the ride opens, I imagine they'd be going for the 'Get a Horse' with this ride.

Bender123

I did snag one of the red GMR shirts as well as a tumbler. So there's that. These next few weeks/months without GMR being open while walking in HS is going to be odd.

The UoE and GMR shirts are now on the Disney Store site...both regular and AP varieties, if you are looking for more/different designs. The AP UoE shirt is pretty amazing.

Kman101

Funny that. Same here.

Aside from the never waiting part.

I've almost always waited. Lowest for me has been about 15-20 minutes. Usually depends on how they're loading. The ride could have been walk on the one night I was there in May but we were held in the theater for what seemed like a while. I think they were only running one vehicle. It was around 7ish at night so I understand. But the car was full and the theater kept filling up even though crowds were pretty low.

shernernum

First, you need to play the lottery if you never had to wait to ride this attraction, even recently. With luck like that you'll do well. Second, no one here is saying that the lines are always 60+ minutes. We are saying that the queue is sometimes filling up at least half the switchbacks. Even that would only amount to a 20 minute (at best) wait. Third, no one is whining. ;)
The other obvious thing is capacity. Even with a third track, what is TSMM's hourly throughput as opposed to GMR, especially when the robbery and western scene were both running?

Kman101

The UoE and GMR shirts are now on the Disney Store site...both regular and AP varieties, if you are looking for more/different designs. The AP UoE shirt is pretty amazing.

How much are they in the parks? I may order online because who knows what they'll have at the end of the week when I get to the parks, if I can get there at all. I'm not usually a shirt person but I really like them both.

Bender123

How much are they in the parks? I may order online because who knows what they'll have at the end of the week when I get to the parks, if I can get there at all. I'm not usually a shirt person but I really like them both.

$27, but its $44 for two of any of the designs. Pretty normal for limited shirts. Add on a few dollars of add ons for free shipping at $50.

becca_

I saw a youtube video (Tim Tracker) and he said they were sold out of the GMR shirts at DHS, not sure if they got more in stock but just something to note :)

Bender123

I saw a youtube video (Tim Tracker) and he said they were sold out of the GMR shirts at DHS, not sure if they got more in stock but just something to note :)

Because I missed them in the parks by a few days, I was happy to order them. Just completed my order this morning for one of each. I would definitely recommend just ordering them to guarantee you get one.

Kman101

I refuse to reward Disney for closing classic attractions by buying merchandise for the attractions they are destroying. :mad:

And I respect that. But I don't share the same sentiment. I like the two shirts that represent attractions I loved. They're gone. What does it really do to refuse to buy the merchandise? It's not going to bring them back or change their mind on removing other classic attractions.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And I respect that. But I don't share the same sentiment. I like the two shirts that represent attractions I loved. They're gone. What does it really do to refuse to buy the merchandise? It's not going to bring them back or change their mind on removing other classic attractions.

Believe me, it kills me to not buy it, because there is a big part of me that wants it. But they only offer much of this merchandise as/after they close an attraction. I just see it as, "Oh, look at all the people who are buying merchandise for the attractions we're closing! So we can continue to close things and offer special merchandise and the rubes will just eat it up!! Monetizing nostalgia, we're geniuses!!!" I... just can't do it.

seabreezept813

I caved and got one for my mom.. she inspired my love of classic movies and she'll love it. Disney can't take away our memories so that's what is important.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom