News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Bairstow

I find it completely disgusting that they're going with this stylization of Mickey and pals for this. It makes no sense. Every other Mickey on the resort is in the classic style. Beyond that, this new style won't survive for decades. It's trendy and short lived.

Total disappointment.

First of all, losing The Great Movie Ride sucks.
Replacing the last of the grand-scale animatronic cavalcades with a screen/projection-based attraction sucks even worse.

That said, I've got no problem with the Rudish version of Mickey Mouse forming the basis for an attraction, because simplifying and stylizing Mickey gives him a personality again and actually brings the character back to the style of artwork and comedy that made Disney popular in the first place.

3.jpg

the-opry-house-c2a9-walt-disney.jpg

PlaneCrazy-MickeyLikesLindy.jpg

mickeyyoohoo-741628.jpg

Madame Medusa

Well the opening day slate of attractions at MGM Studios was fairly abysmal.

They've improved it at a snail's pace since then, but now they're back in business towards making it somewhere people actually want to go!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You're embarrassing yourself. The ENTIRE PREMISE of The Great Movie Ride is IP. Spaceship Earth is IP. Disneyland, in its entirety, is IP. "The Enchanted Tiki Room" is IP. Horizons is IP. The Adventurer's Club is IP. I'm beyond sick of this moronic argument from people who don't even have a high school understanding of what "IP" even means.
I understand it. And this is wrong. Good idea, wrong location.

Andsome

Not gonna lie, I almost felt like vomiting upon hearing the news. The idea that they would be gutting such a wonderful, atmosphere-heavy attraction with some of WDI's finest Audio-Animatronics and taking a dump all over it by replacing it with a bunch of projections is absolutely disgraceful. "The projections are going to be cutting-edge!" my behind. I can't imagine how the CMs (especially the Bandits & Gangsters who often seem to have a blast when they're in character) feel about being 86'd over it.

And the fact that they are also centering it around the "new" Fab Five that (at least animation-wise) is Television quality at best rather than the version that most people can wrap their heads around (i.e. PhilharMagic) makes it sting even more.

I'm at least glad I got a chance to ride it back in April... :(

Madame Medusa

I can't imagine how the CMs (especially the Bandits & Gangsters who often seem to have a blast when they're in character)

I know for a fact that most of them weren't having a blast. You must have gotten lucky. They diminished their role with the new Robert Osborne narration because most were so lackluster at their jobs anyway.

I wish the Great Movie Ride could be updated and live on, but it's over now, and most people don't care about the classic Hollywood theme of the park anymore. At least the building isn't being demolished, and yes, Mickey fits in there because the real Chinese theater in Hollywood is an actual theater that screens anything and everything.

ProfSavage

While I was a big fan of the GMR, it was in need of some major improvements. Or additions. I know the Wicked Witch was a new AA, but a lot of those AAs were dated, and there were some "classic" movies that always felt missing - namely The Godfather in the Gangster Area... Hell, there are classic movies that Disney owned the rights too (that they didn't need to license out from MGM and other studios) that didn't seem to get enough notice... I get it's the death of another "classic" dark ride but... unless they were going to update it...

We'll see how this Mickey ride pans out (good to see another long standing rumor around these parts come to fruition). And who knows, maybe the Poppins scene will be salvaged for that UK ride that keeps popping up in these parts

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom