News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

The_Jobu

That argument is fine if you want to go debate Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot. But this is Mickey Mouse in the movie park. It's about as thematically appropriate as it gets.

I'd say "the great movie ride" in the "great movie park" is about as appropriate as it gets. Though I've never been attached to GMR myself, I can see why others would be sad, it's the park icon.

Though you bring up a good point, GotG is as lazy as it gets.

comics101

That argument is fine if you want to go debate Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot. But this is Mickey Mouse in the movie park. It's about as thematically appropriate as it gets.

Ok how about this? I enjoy classic cinema. I enjoy grand, audio animatronic-filled attractions, regardless of speed/innovation. I enjoy old school-Disney rides. I appreciate that you are excited for this upcoming ride, however I am not, and as of today, given the description of the attraction I likely will never be.

Last edited:

comics101

I'd say "the great movie ride" in the "great movie park" is about as appropriate as it gets. Though I've never been attached to GMR myself, I can see why others would be sad, it's the park icon.

Though you bring up a good point, GotG is as lazy as it gets.
Guardians isn't just lazy, it's insulting. "This fits Epcot because space travel, oooooooh..." Give me a break. Corporate meddling at its worst.

MerlinTheGoat

I guess. Feels like people being negative for negativity's sake. Like complaining about the new 2D Mickey design... which is entirely based on the classic Mickey design that people should ostensibly love.
The base design of new Mickey isn't the problem and I really don't hate that, it's the weird and often gross and disturbing animation they will often have for the facial expressions.

images

images

Screen-Shot-2015-03-02-at-11.35.59-PM.png

Those frames resemble something out of a 90s Nickelodeon cartoon like Ren and Stimpy or SpongeBob. Not something I care to see from Mickey Mouse.

When the cartoon doesn't use these expressions (using still classically silly but not over the top grotesque), it looks much better. I don't hate the design of the characters and frequently even enjoy the background art, though in motion the characters still have that cheap janky flash animation look. But regardless the designs seen on occasions where the characters aren't putting on freak out faces are actually not bad, like here-

mickey-mouseShorts.jpg

Last edited:

brb1006

The base design of new Mickey isn't the problem and I really don't hate that, it's the weird and often gross and disturbing animation they will often have for the facial expressions.

images

images

Screen-Shot-2015-03-02-at-11.35.59-PM.png

Those frames resemble something out of a 90s Nickelodeon cartoon like Ren and Stimpy or SpongeBob. Not something I care to see from Mickey Mouse.

When the cartoon doesn't use these expressions (using still classically silly but not over the top grotesque), it looks much better. I don't hate the design of the characters and frequently even enjoy the background art, though in motion the characters still have that cheap janky flash animation look. But regardless the designs seen on occasions where the characters aren't putting on freak out faces are actually not bad, like here-

mickey-mouseShorts.jpg
Sure the gross-out moments can be a bit much but I would rather have that over the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Mickey.

PizzaPlanet

The GMR is/'was the perfect attraction for that park - IF it was updated on a continual basis. I would have far rather seen a complete rework of the attraction, with it remaining true to its original concept. The basis behind the GMR just had so much potential to continually bring something new to the park. Will be very sorry to see it go.
I really like how it takes us through the classic movies and acts as a cinema history lesson. Seeing classic scenes replaced with the latest IP tie-ins would not be ideal. The only scenes I'd be okay losing are Tarzan and Fantasia. And of course the finale could also be upgraded, I've alway found it a bit underwhelming. Not that it matters now... :cry:

Madame Medusa

Every other Mickey on the resort is in the classic style. Beyond that, this new style won't survive for decades. It's trendy and short lived.

Not anymore it ain't.

Mickey has gone through multiple style transformations over the years and these shorts actually show a fun side of Mickey outside of bland corporate mascot goody two shoes. They're far better than the mind-numbing abomination that is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. You'll learn to love it, mark my words.

I actually hope this style is used more often, the "standard" is outdated and tired.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom