News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

DinoInstitute

I disagree, its no Star Wars but Toy Story having a legitimate area is a decent draw.
The idea of a Toy Story land here in WDW will probably be appealing and cool to a fair number of guests, but I think the point was just that neither of the attractions are really anything special that's going to make most people feel they need to make a trip out to see it, if that makes sense.

Razgriz

The idea of a Toy Story land here in WDW will probably be appealing and cool to a fair number of guests, but I think the point was just that neither of the attractions are really anything special that's going to make most people feel they need to make a trip out to see it, if that makes sense.
True.

csmat99

I disagree, its no Star Wars but Toy Story having a legitimate area is a decent draw.
I couldn't disagree more. Yes, Toy story is one of Pixars most beloved movies but that alone isn't the draw. I have to point out Cars Land at DCA. Cars isn't the most popular Pixar franchise but the Land is perfect and has an amazing E ticket with rock work that will impress even the naysayer. This land has none of that. Why most people are not happy.

lazyboy97o

That could be a way to make a theme park... although it wouldn't be much of a park, then, would it? That would be like calling your local 14 Plex movie theater a "Cinema Theme Park." That's basically what 6 Flags does: ride, ride, ride, food cart, ride, ride, ride, gift shop, ride, ride ride. A theme park, however, has a park, and a theme.

Now, I'll agree that they could use more rides. But to make the space nothing but rides is overcompensating in the other direction.
A roller coaster and a flat ride is exactly what Six Flags does. They even get these types of projects done over a single winter and at a fraction of the cost.

And what would we have lost due to spending more on this land? whether we like it or not...or agree with it or not...there are set budgets for everything. If you go over budget on something, it is going to have to be made up somewhere else eventually.

The amount of rides for this land is not the problem....two attractions can be fine here if their execution is good. That is the real issue, the execution of the two rides and the entire land itself. That is what is most concerning to me. Not what they can fit in 11 acres.
Waste could be cut and Disney's projects better managed. The costs of even a launched coaster are not extreme. Poor utilization of space also unnecessarily increases costs in both initial construction and on going maintenance.

TeriofTerror

Call me a cockeyed optimist, but I'm hoping kiddie attractions in Toy Story Land will alleviate the need for them in areas about which I care more.
(And yes, I love musicals, even the cheesy ones. Shut up, or I'll wash you right out of my hair. :))
Edit: That got censored? Seriously?! I'll try a workaround.

Mike S

Yep. This land would have benefitted from an E, a C-dark ride, and an A flat to go along with the existing D-ticket shooter joining the land. Those should have fit no problem.
So, Pixar Place like they should've just stuck with from the beginning? Also I think you mean B flat. A's are things like M&Gs and the Main Street vehicles.
I couldn't disagree more. Yes, Toy story is one of Pixars most beloved movies but that alone isn't the draw. I have to point out Cars Land at DCA. Cars isn't the most popular Pixar franchise but the Land is perfect and has an amazing E ticket with rock work that will impress even the naysayer. This land has none of that. Why most people are not happy.
And Disney dared to speak of and compare to Cars Land when first revealing and hyping this land :hilarious:

MerlinTheGoat

Pixar deserves far better than Toy Story (Play)Land, their films have almost always punched far beyond the demographic of many other cartoons, their rides should do the same. Toy Story in particular warrants far more respect than it has gotten in the parks, including either this land or Midway Mania.

And for those who argue these types of attractions are necessary to help absorb crowds and keep the kiddies entertained- there are far better solutions to this than loading the place with nothing but Six Flags caliber nonsense. And no not every ride needs to be a huge and expensive E ticket either (though plenty more of these are still necessary as well). There is a large step between these two extremes that won't break the bank but also satisfy a broader audience than small children. Classic Fantasyland dark rides being one example. Or even Storybook Canal Boats and intersecting Casey Jr Circus Train.

I'm starting to believe Disney lacks the ability to create experiences like these anymore, at least truly good ones. Modern imagineers seem to have trouble working within limitations, it takes them a huge amount of money and space (and their cream of the crop talent) to pull off a quality ride anymore, and their best exterior theming is usually designed by Zsolt Hormay. They clearly have issues pulling off forced perspective effects (again they need a lot of space to create their best looking scenes). The old guard of imagineers (Walt era up through Tony Baxter's era) had an uncanny ability to do a lot with very little, finding creative ways to accomplish some great scenes using relatively simple (and old) effects and tricks.

GMR is one that's not an E-ticket
Great Movie Ride absolutely is an E ticket.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

They are large lands, but the angle of the picture does distort the size a bit. Here is a rough top down view.

View attachment 183765
for how little Toy Story seems to be offering.. its eating WAY TOO MUCH land.

So basically you could fit 6 E Ticket,"Great Movie Ride" attractions in the space they are using for a spinner and kiddie coaster...
Great use of space... Lamest expansion idea ever.
View attachment 183777

*edit*
good to know people are agreeing..

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Call me a cockeyed optimist, but I'm hoping kiddie attractions in Toy Story Land will alleviate the need for them in areas about which I care more.
(And yes, I love musicals, even the cheesy ones. Shut up, or I'll wash you right out of my hair. :))

Well, there will always be haters. People who were carefully taught.

Matt_Black

I want them to make a Hyperion Avenue/Silly Symphony Land behind GMR, keep one man's dream, and maybe move Philharmagic here.

If they did, I would hope there's something to represent "Who Killed **** Robin", because let's face it- "Who Killed **** Robin" is one of the finest Silly Symphonies ever produced. In fact, just saying the title of "Who Killed **** Robin" brings a smile to my face. Try it! Say "Who Killed **** Robin" out loud to yourself right now and see if you don't start grinning.

jt04

That is what some said about Frozen.

Anyway, TSL is an alternative for to some of the more intense rides coming to SWL. It could also be first step towards a larger Pixar area over time.

articos

Pixar deserves far better than Toy Story (Play)Land, their films have almost always punched far beyond the demographic of many other cartoons, their rides should do the same. Toy Story in particular warrants far more respect than it has gotten in the parks, including either this land or Midway Mania.

And for those who argue these types of attractions are necessary to help absorb crowds and keep the kiddies entertained- there are far better solutions to this than loading the place with nothing but Six Flags caliber nonsense. And no not every ride needs to be a huge and expensive E ticket either (though plenty more of these are still necessary as well). There is a large step between these two extremes that won't break the bank but also satisfy a broader audience than small children. Classic Fantasyland dark rides being one example. Or even Storybook Canal Boats and intersecting Casey Jr Circus Train.

I'm starting to believe Disney lacks the ability to create experiences like these anymore, at least truly good ones. Modern imagineers seem to have trouble working within limitations, it takes them a huge amount of money and space (and their cream of the crop talent) to pull off a quality ride anymore, and their best exterior theming is usually designed by Zsolt Hormay. They clearly have issues pulling off forced perspective effects (again they need a lot of space to create their best looking scenes). The old guard of imagineers (Walt era up through Tony Baxter's era) had an uncanny ability to do a lot with very little, finding creative ways to accomplish some great scenes using relatively simple (and old) effects and tricks.

Great Movie Ride absolutely is an E ticket.
GMR is definitely an E. Most of the modern E's aren't completely in-house. They're worked on by the best of the industry both inside and outside the house. 2010s Disney outsources a lot. Which is not bad.

MerlinTheGoat

That is what some said about Frozen.

Anyway, TSL is an alternative for to some of the more intense rides coming to SWL. It could also be first step towards a larger Pixar area over time.
A lot of us still say that about Frozen. It isn't without its positives (though some have disagreed fairly with the praise I have given it), but it's still inappropriately placed and the ride itself (even had it been placed appropriately in Fantasyland where it belongs) is a big mess. Obscenely short and massively flawed in other ways as well.

But even the Frozen ride is more appealing than Toy Story Land. TSL is just a collection of rides that would fit in perfectly with Six Flags. Frozen with all of its flaws is STILL at least a dark ride with show actual show scenes and figures.

wdwfan757

It doesn't need to be spectacular, it just needs to be a nice diversion. Star Wars, ToT, RnR... DHS won't have a shortage of E-tickets

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
TSL is just a collection of rides that would fit in perfectly with Six Flags.

True. And it would be nice if TSL shot for a higher goal. But...

What you just said about Slinky and Aliens... can't that be said for a whole bunch of rides in the MK? Dumbo and Orbital are just spinners. The carousel is just a carousel. Barnstormer is an off-the-shelf kiddie ride which is more county fair than even Six Flags.

Maybe someone at Disney is saying, "Nope, we're not building Toy Story Land for adults to rush to and push out kids. We need kids rides for kids. If it's good enough for Storybook, it's good enough for TSL."

Granted, "family friendly" would be better than "kid friendly", but, it sure seems like TSL is aimed at "kid friendly."

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's a very nice, politically correct way of putting it :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom