News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's amazing how much space two attractions can take up...

They are large lands, but the angle of the picture does distort the size a bit. Here is a rough top down view.

upload_2017-1-9_15-18-30.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Oh man. Toy story land looks roughly as big as SW land. What a waste.

It was announced that SWL would be 14 acres and TSL be 11 acres.

Whether that has changed once construction started or whether one considers scenery and berms to be counted as part of that acreage is up in the air.

Bocabear

Everything cannot be an e-ticket. A park needs a bit of balance...DHS is still part of a family resort.
I know everything cannot be an E-ticket, but every land should have one....and an E-ticket can be a family attraction...
yes the park does need balance... they also need capacity... building only two attractions, and one of them a spinner ride does not balance a park that is already woefully low in attractions. Family attractions don't have to be Spinners...they could actually create new and exciting things... "Family Resort"? What does that even mean?... Why would adding better attractions make it no longer a "Family Resort"? I was not suggesting a strip show or adult theater...lol

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So basically you could fit 6 E Ticket,"Great Movie Ride" attractions in the space they are using for a spinner and kiddie coaster...
Great use of space... Lamest expansion idea ever.
View attachment 183777

That could be a way to make a theme park... although it wouldn't be much of a park, then, would it? That would be like calling your local 14 Plex movie theater a "Cinema Theme Park." That's basically what 6 Flags does: ride, ride, ride, food cart, ride, ride, ride, gift shop, ride, ride ride. A theme park, however, has a park, and a theme.

Now, I'll agree that they could use more rides. But to make the space nothing but rides is overcompensating in the other direction.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yep. This land would have benefitted from an E, a C-dark ride, and an A flat to go along with the existing D-ticket shooter joining the land. Those should have fit no problem.

And what would we have lost due to spending more on this land? whether we like it or not...or agree with it or not...there are set budgets for everything. If you go over budget on something, it is going to have to be made up somewhere else eventually.

The amount of rides for this land is not the problem....two attractions can be fine here if their execution is good. That is the real issue, the execution of the two rides and the entire land itself. That is what is most concerning to me. Not what they can fit in 11 acres.

Bocabear

That could be a way to make a theme park... although it wouldn't be much of a park, then, would it? That would be like calling your local 14 Plex movie theater a "Cinema Theme Park." That's basically what 6 Flags does: ride, ride, ride, food cart, ride, ride, ride, gift shop, ride, ride ride. A theme park, however, has a park, and a theme.

Now, I'll agree that they could use more rides. But to make the space nothing but rides is overcompensating in the other direction.
The placement of the 6 Great Movie Rides was just to illustrate the amount of room they are taking for a very few attractions...not a suggestion that they should put 6 E ticket attractions there...lol Three attractions would be nice...a coaster a spinner and something else... I merely illustrated that we are not getting much in the "Land"...where there is room to do much more.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The placement of the 6 Great Movie Rides was just to illustrate the amount of room they are taking for a very few attractions...not a suggestion that they should put 6 E ticket attractions there...lol Three attractions would be nice...a coaster a spinner and something else... I merely illustrated that we are not getting much in the "Land"...where there is room to do much more.

Ah, OK.

It would have been a tight squeeze, though. In order to have a self-contained "Land", you do use up a lot of space in the surrounding walls, buildings, berms to contain the Land. OTOH, they could have expanded the Land further into SWL and then SWL further out into the reclaimed swamp.

DinoInstitute

Here is the SWL one done by @marni1971
.. and Toy Story Land...

untitled-1-copy-jpg.180967
I know like you said the angle distorts it a bit, but still, I don't understand how anyone thought it was a good idea to approve this layout for Slinky. For a coaster that is going to have a relatively short length, they just managed to find a way to take up as much space as possible with it. Even if they weren't going to build any more for this land than this no matter what, fine, but the way Slinky is layed out it makes it essentially impossible to do any expansion whatsoever in the future without changing the coaster track. The entire bottom right behind Aliens could have been saved as a nice expansion pad, but Slinky goes right through the middle wasting the space.

Brer Oswald

I know like you said the angle distorts it a bit, but still, I don't understand how anyone thought it was a good idea to approve this layout for Slinky. For a coaster that is going to have a relatively short length, they just managed to find a way to take up as much space as possible with it. Even if they weren't going to build any more for this land than this no matter what, fine, but the way Slinky is layed out it makes it essentially impossible to do any expansion whatsoever in the future without changing the coaster track. The entire bottom right behind Aliens could have been saved as a nice expansion pad, but Slinky goes right through the middle wasting the space.
It's such a waste of potential. You have to really wonder, why are they even doing this?! It's not going to drive in the crowds like SWL or WWoHP at Universal. Heck, it won't even attract attention like SDMT did. It's just a waste of space and money imo.

Razgriz

It's such a waste of potential. You have to really wonder, why are they even doing this?! It's not going to drive in the crowds like SWL or WWoHP at Universal. Heck, it won't even attract attention like SDMT did. It's just a waste of space and money imo.
I disagree, its no Star Wars but Toy Story having a legitimate area is a decent draw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom