News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

DinoInstitute

The ride as it stands today is based on the movie Dinosaur!

Just because it was a creatively lazy and half tailed effort doesn't mean that it is not the "Dinosaur!" ride. It is named after the movie and stars characters from that one specific movie. How is this NOT. based on Dinosaur!?
There's a difference between having a movie tie in and it being based on the movie. The ride is not "about" the movie, it simply features the characters for synergy.

RobidaFlats

Yep. The ride predated the movie. Good old corporate synergy - a major theme at Disney during those days - asked the filmmakers to utilize aspects of the attraction, which essentially was renaming it and throwing the statue in front. When the movie's characters tested ok, the attraction was then planned to be rethemed to the movie. Usually the other way around, but not this time.

Interesting, thanks for the information.

JohnWD

Could the new Mickey Mouse ride reuse the DLP Ratatouille ride mechanicals? Would that be cool? :)

As far as the Chinese Theater facade, I grew up next to Hollywood and my wife in Hollywood. I vote to tear it down (the facade, not Hollywood), and build an icon of similar stature as the other 3 parks. The hat was a better icon than the facade! It needs to be big enough to grab everyone's attention while they are still walking to the bag check area in front of the park. Since it's for Mickey Mouse, it better be totally awesome.

RobidaFlats

I messed up a copy/paste in there - just re-edited my post to clarify one piece. You're welcome.

Since you mentioned copy/paste and I have an unhealthy obsession with reading, is there a public source for this? I have really been enjoying reading about the processes going on within the company during that time period lately.

Disneyhead'71

There's a difference between having a movie tie in and it being based on the movie. The ride is not "about" the movie, it simply features the characters for synergy.
So, you are trying to tell me that "Enchanted Tales With Belle" isn't based on Beauty and the Beast?

No, Dinosaur! isn't a book report ride, but it is based on Dinosaur!.

I think the closest attraction to what you are trying to say is "Circle of Life" which clearly isn't a Lion King attraction but does star Timon and Pumba. Seriously though, Dinosaur! is actually named for the movie.

articos

Since you mentioned copy/paste and I have an unhealthy obsession with reading, is there a public source for this? I have really been enjoying reading about the processes going on within the company during that time period lately.
Unfortunately no. I'm quoting my own knowledge. I just typed the post then restructured how I wrote it. You might enjoy Eisner's books. There's a healthy amount of ego and some self-revision to make himself look good, but I thought they were enjoyable and a nice insight into the company when he was running things. There's also a good book from Lorraine Santoli called "Inside the Disney Marketing Machine". She was the Director of Corp Synergy for Disney during the Eisner era, and it's a fun read too.

RobidaFlats

So, you are trying to tell me that "Enchanted Tales With Belle" isn't based on Beauty and the Beast?

No, Dinosaur! isn't a book report ride, but it is based on Dinosaur!.

I think the closest attraction to what you are trying to say is "Circle of Life" which clearly isn't a Lion King attraction but does star Timon and Pumba. Seriously though, Dinosaur! is actually named for the movie.

The issue is that the ride predated the movie and according to @articos was designed before the movie as well. Thus the basis for the ride cannot be the movie. It would appear that it could be argued that the movie was based on the ride.

As yet another example, if they stuck stickers of eyes and mouths on the Speedway vehicles tomorrow and called it Cars!, nothing about the ride would be based on Cars the movie. A tie in, yes. A synergy, yes. But the basis of something is the root, and the roots of Countdown to Extinction predate Dinosaur.

Edit: yet another typo

Last edited:

RobidaFlats

Unfortunately no. I'm quoting my own knowledge. I just typed the post then restructured how I wrote it. You might enjoy Eisner's books. There's a healthy amount of ego and some self-revision to make himself look good, but I thought they were enjoyable and a nice insight into the company when he was running things. There's also a good book from Lorraine Santoli called "Inside the Disney Marketing Machine". She was the Director of Corp Synergy for Disney during the Eisner era, and it's a fun read too.

It looks like my library will be expanding again :p. Thanks for the suggestions, particularly the Santoli book as I hadn't heard of it before.

articos

The issue is that the ride predated the movie and according to @articos was designed before the movie as well. Thus the basis for the ride cannot be the movie. It would appear that it could be argued that the movie was based on the ride.
Boiling it down: The ride was designed before the movie. Period. The movie was on the drawing boards at Animation but there was no connection. Synergy asked the production (the movie) to take cues from the ride, but the movie was not based on the ride either, as the story and characters were already independent of the ride. Two separate projects, two separate paths, but asked to intersect in a very loose way in order to service Merchandising and corporate synergy.

Disneyhead'71

As yet another example, if they stuck stickers of eyes and mouths on the Speedway vehicles tomorrow and called it Cars!, nothing about the ride would be based on Cars the movie. A tie in, yes. A synergy, yes. But the basis of something is the root, and the roots of Countdown to Extinction predate Dinosaur.

Edit: yet another typo
Wrong! The Dinosaur! ride is in fact based on the movie Dinosaur! The fact the ride system and building predates the movie doesn't mean that the current attraction isn't based on Dinosaur!. That argument is, quite frankly, absurd.

Mike S

This thread...
giphy.gif

articos

Wrong! The Dinosaur! ride is in fact based on the movie Dinosaur! The fact the ride system and building predates the movie doesn't mean that the current attraction isn't based on Dinosaur!. That argument is, quite frankly, absurd.
Er, yes and no. CTE changed very little in the transition from CTE to Dinosaur!. Disney wants to say Dinosaur, the attraction, is based on the movie, so they do, and now that the movie exists, they can claim the ride is tied into the movie. In fact, the ride and story were developed before the movie, and the movie was developed independently of the ride. The synergy was done on purpose, but the ride didn't change into being the Dinosaur ride when CTE's name was changed.

Sorry, just setting the record straight - back to GMR for me.

Disneyhead'71

Er, yes and no. CTE changed very little in the transition from CTE to Dinosaur!. Disney wants to say Dinosaur, the attraction, is based on the movie, so they do, and now that the movie exists, they can claim the ride is tied into the movie. In fact, the ride and story were developed before the movie, and the movie was developed independently of the ride. The synergy was done on purpose, but the ride didn't change into being the Dinosaur ride when CTE's name was changed.

Sorry, just setting the record straight - back to GMR for me.
So, the Dinosaur! ride isn't the Dinosaur! ride?

As I said, just because is was a creatively bankrupt effort, doesn't mean that as the attraction sits today, isn't the Dinosaur! attraction. We can argue all day in the creative success of the overlay.

As I said before, who is going to dare say that the GotG: Tower of Power isn't based on GotG, but actually a '60s era TV show?

clemmo

So anybody in the know on this particular attraction does it sounds like it'll actually be pretty good or will it just be based off the Mickey Mouse shorts? I feel like this ride particularly could either go horribly wrong or be very good.

DinoInstitute

As I said before, who is going to dare say that the GotG: Tower of Power isn't based on GotG, but actually a '60s era TV show?
Because the story of the MB ride is based on GotG. There's no argument to make that it's based on the Twilight Zone, it is clearly not. It's a different ride.

When CTX got its refurbishment to DINOSAUR, the ride did not fundamentally change. All it did was then include references to the film.

Disneyhead'71

So anybody in the know on this particular attraction does it sounds like it'll actually be pretty good or will it just be based off the Mickey Mouse shorts? I feel like this ride particularly could either go horribly wrong or be very good.
I like your question. 'Is this ride gonna be good or just based off MM shorts?"

Unfortunately, the new crop of Imagineers are going, "How on earth are gonna base a ride on these!?!"
img-thing

DinoInstitute

I feel like insiders have said that they do like the concept of the ride and think it will be well done and very fun. Just the controversy about it is all in placement more or less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom