News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sooner they get rid of the GMR and the Chinese Theater facade the better. The facade is just way too small. The park needs a massive icon such as the other parks at WDW. The attraction had a 27 year run and that's more than enough. They could put a GotG dark ride inside. For the icon they could have a huge Ferris wheel in the shape of a giant film reel.
...said no one.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sooner they get rid of the GMR and the Chinese Theater facade the better. The facade is just way too small. The park needs a massive icon such as the other parks at WDW. The attraction had a 27 year run and that's more than enough. They could put a GotG dark ride inside. For the icon they could have a huge Ferris wheel in the shape of a giant film reel.

Uh, no....

orky8

It is. Maybe I should explain.

Kong is trackless, as is Tower of Terror. And GMR. And Energy. They may be trackless, but follow a single predetermined path.

LPS is used in reference to a trackless ride with several ride paths for groups of vehicles which usually cross each other. They may also involve the vehicles starting, stopping, spinning, following each other or moving around each other. As in Poohs Honey Hunt, Mystic Manor, Ratatouille, Antartica, Alcatraz and now this.

My understanding, and may be incorrect, was that these are all sort of an evolution of each other. Starting with Energy (and GMR). Tower took it to the next level, but using the same (I believe) single wire guidance principle. (I know nothing about Kong, but I assume similar to GMR given the vehicle). Now, LPS (for Hunny Hunt, for example), is it still using location signals tracking from the floor to determine position, but without a single predetermined path. Or it is a truly different locating technology to determine position?

dm11

I think the ride in question will be very impressive. Maybe a tad short, it's lost a bit of its funding but the amount that stands (and what the ride will consist of) is not insignificant. It just shouldn't require the GMR to close.

I'm also concerned about parallels to the SW biggy being literally side by side. The execution will be very different but the basis will be very similar.
This is a bit concerning. I love Spiderman and Transformers in Uni but it always bothered me how similar they actually are. And they are in two different parks! I wonder if the similarity between the SW ride and the Mouse will be on that level as the two Uni rides? If so then having them literally next to each other will be a big downer.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My understanding, and may be incorrect, was that these are all sort of an evolution of each other. Starting with Energy (and GMR). Tower took it to the next level, but using the same (I believe) single wire guidance principle. (I know nothing about Kong, but I assume similar to GMR given the vehicle). Now, LPS (for Hunny Hunt, for example), is it still using location signals tracking from the floor to determine position, but without a single predetermined path. Or it is a truly different locating technology to determine position?
Energy was revolutionary. Wire guided, self driving, self charging by induction. GMR is a dumber version with similar traits but speed mostly controlled by a human.

Tower is like Energy but with a more advanced control system.

Kong I don't know if it's wire or pucks. There are I believe other elements such as infra red and wireless triangulation.

LPS is pure local positioning, be it by infra red, wifi, radio, floor sensors, axle counts or a combination of these.

What's important is every path is predetermined though. Nothing is random. The vehicle path and lack of rails just suggests this.

(I should add the traveling theatre especially is able to be driven by a human using the most ridiculous interface known to man and can do real damage to the set if it goes off road)

JohnD

You've just made my day. Any thoughts of what it might encompass? A celebration of Mickey Mouse taking us through the various stages of Mickey? I think, if done correctly, this can be an extraordinary attraction.

A Mickey Mouse ride inside Mickey's head. Appropriate.
hiddenmickey.jpg

brb1006

It is. Maybe I should explain.

Kong is trackless, as is Tower of Terror. And GMR. And Energy. They may be trackless, but follow a single predetermined path.

LPS is used in reference to a trackless ride with several ride paths for groups of vehicles which usually cross each other. They may also involve the vehicles starting, stopping, spinning, following each other or moving around each other. As in Poohs Honey Hunt, Mystic Manor, Ratatouille, Antartica, Alcatraz and now this.
I remember the Pooh's Hunny Hunt ride had a path where you would pass Kanga and Roo and another had you stumble upon Owl's house. This was back when Pooh was the only ride at any Disney park to use LPS.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is a bit concerning. I love Spiderman and Transformers in Uni but it always bothered me how similar they actually are. And they are in two different parks! I wonder if the similarity between the SW ride and the Mouse will be on that level as the two Uni rides? If so then having them literally next to each other will be a big downer.
It does seem odd. Though joe public probably won't realise it. SW it seems will have minimal vehicle interaction, I believe the MMR will have plenty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom