News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

wannabeBelle

Which is another reason this ride should be going where the Animation building currently is, or say the Sunset Market Ranch expansion pad.
Exactly so!! Build where you can without disrupting what you've got going in the park. Shutting down more attractions is just going to be a huge problem. I don't even have a big problem with the concept ideas we have seen thus far, and I am still holding out high hopes that this can be done well and will be a great family friendly area, but it needed to be done yesterday. Many other areas are being worked on as well, and Id like to see the time lines accelerated across the board or stalled so as to get TSL open quicker. I understand not everything can be rolled out tomorrow, but to work on so many different items at the same time with nothing being open wont be a good idea for the park in the meantime. Marie

Bocabear

It makes total sense to put the big Mickey Mouse ride where the animation building currently sits and recreate the area theming as the Walt Disney Studios portion of the park...the part that would be dedicated to the works of Walt Disney... Use the pieces of the One Man's Dream exhibit in the Queue area for the ride, theme the entire area and courtyard to 1930s Hollywood...Put the Walt and Mickey statue in a feature spot in the center of the courtyard and it all makes sense...then you can travel past the world of Walt Disney Studios into Pixar Studios...tracking the growth of the Walt Disney Company...it would make perfect sense... And just upgrade and refresh The Great Movie Ride...

wannabeBelle

It makes total sense to put the big Mickey Mouse ride where the animation building currently sits and recreate the area theming as the Walt Disney Studios portion of the park...the part that would be dedicated to the works of Walt Disney... Use the pieces of the One Man's Dream exhibit in the Queue area for the ride, theme the entire area and courtyard to 1930s Hollywood...Put the Walt and Mickey statue in a feature spot in the center of the courtyard and it all makes sense...then you can travel past the world of Walt Disney Studios into Pixar Studios...tracking the growth of the Walt Disney Company...it would make perfect sense... And just upgrade and refresh The Great Movie Ride...
Nice visual, thanks BocaBear!!! That would be really impressive!!! Marie

Siren

This is fine. I would rather DHS net a brand new attraction over this zero sum game thing.

With that said, I do not want the brand new Mickey ride to be shoehorned inside the Chinese Theater. I want it to be all or nothing -- if Disney is not willing to relocate the Mickey attraction then the entire GMR attraction should be demolished.

Bocabear

This is fine. I would rather DHS net a brand new attraction over this zero sum game thing.

With that said, I do not want the brand new Mickey ride to be shoehorned inside the Chinese Theater. I want it to be all or nothing -- if Disney is not willing to relocate the Mickey attraction then the entire GMR attraction should be demolished.
I don't think it would be shoehorned...that show building is bigger than most other buildings on property...it is massive.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Why? There's still finite space around it. All that would happen would another building of the same (or slightly smaller) size would replace it.

Matt7187

It makes perfect sense, therefore it will never happen..

RSoxNo1

Disney does not consider meet-and-greets to gain attendance or add to the bottom line. It's the reason Photopass was folded into Entertainment: every division had to be profitable. By all means, Disney should create lovely, memorable, air-conditioned environments to meet the characters; but even the company acknowledges that rides drive attendance and character interactions don't.
This is largely the reason why the original New Fantasyland proposal wasn't expected to increase attendance. That and it was underwhelming.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney does not consider meet-and-greets to gain attendance or add to the bottom line. It's the reason Photopass was folded into Entertainment: every division had to be profitable. By all means, Disney should create lovely, memorable, air-conditioned environments to meet the characters; but even the company acknowledges that rides drive attendance and character interactions don't.

They sure don't have a problem designing and charging for in-park events around character M&Gs as key draws for the events tho :)

Daveeeeed

Why? There's still finite space around it. All that would happen would another building of the same (or slightly smaller) size would replace it.
You don't have to answer if you cannot, but have you heard any talks of it replacing something else and not just GMR?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The show building for GMR is basically just a big empty warehouse and since they aren't keeping the existing ride system it's pretty flexible what they can do with it. Personally I am also happy that the Chinese Theater façade will be kept since it makes a nice focal point for the park.

upload_2016-8-9_17-59-51.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom