News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Pete C

Can I get the TLDR version of why people are down on this attraction? Other than it replacing GMR (which personally I am fine with). I have clicked through countless pages and can't get a grasp on the problem with MMRR. Like why "Mickey deserves better". I read that the perspective changing tricks and projection technology was going to be pretty ground breaking. I also love the new Mickey animation shorts so no issue there for me. They are more true to the original Mickey cartoons than anything Disney has done in decades.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can I get the TLDR version of why people are down on this attraction? Other than it replacing GMR (which personally I am fine with). I have clicked through countless pages and can't get a grasp on the problem with MMRR. Like why "Mickey deserves better". I read that the perspective changing tricks and projection technology was going to be pretty ground breaking. I also love the new Mickey animation shorts so no issue there for me. They are more true to the original Mickey cartoons than anything Disney has done in decades.

For starters if you’re “personally fine” with it replacing the GMR you’d struggle to understand.

Last edited:

LukeS7

1. It's replacing GMR which (1) eliminates a lot of capacity/an attraction in a time that HS is in dire need of those 2 things (2) removes what should have been the park's centerpiece and the last real remnant of its movie-making theme
2. It's being shoe-horned into the Chinese theater building with (from what we've been told) a rather large chunk of the existing building no longer being used. It should get its own purpose-built building to (1) aid in theming and (2) to put it in a more appropriate location rather than at the center of a park that shouldn't really have a Mickey attraction. This should be in MK's old Toon Town area if anything. (3) it's also wasting space in the Chinese theater that probably won't be utilized for much else (for the foreseeable future)

Ground-breaking technology alone doesn't make a ride appropriate for where it is being placed.

S 2

Losing the GMM truly breaks my heart, there was nothing else like it in the world. I just don't buy the "it would cost too much" excuse, Disneyland would have never been built with that logic, and it's not like keeping it would have prevented tghe park from making a profit. I feel we lost something truly special, like losing Spaceship Earth (or Horizons for that matter) or them announcing a re-design to Cinderella Castle... :(

I'm all for this new Mickey ride, but as a replacement to the GMM!? thats what's off to me, there's no way the people who made this decision grew up with this ride in their life and the decision shows a real disconnect in my opinion...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom