News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Goofyernmost

I don't think the significance is about the material object of the castle, but rather its symbolism, and the meaning to guests of the place that it represents.

(I think people would be similarly upset if, say, Mount Rushmore were covered up with decorations during their long-planned visit to the Black Hills region, or if the Statue of Liberty were "redecorated" during their long-awaited visit to NYC.)
It's still crap and unjustified... it is a piece of plastic. Nothing more. Yes, it is a wonderful icon for the park and a memorable one, but, it isn't sacred and should looked at as an overall part of the park, not the reason for the park or the only reason to go there. If there is no difference between Mount Rushmore, The Statue of Liberty and the Plastic Castle at the end of Main Street, then I apparently have my priorities all messed up. It doesn't matter, as Martin said it isn't going to happen again and to me that is sad. But, you know I'm old and probably have the end of my ability to tour theme parks getting close so it really doesn't matter to me. Enjoy what pleases you!

Marc Davis Fan

it is a piece of plastic. Nothing more. Yes, it is a wonderful icon for the park and a memorable one, but, it isn't sacred and should looked at as an overall part of the park, not the reason for the park or the only reason to go there. If there is no difference between Mount Rushmore, The Statue of Liberty and the Plastic Castle at the end of Main Street, then I apparently have my priorities all messed up!

It is a piece of architecture. It is not reduceable to its construction materials, in the same way Rushmore and Liberty are not reducible to theirs (well, carving material in the case of Rushmore). I agree with you that we should view the park holistically, and I certainly was not stating that the castle should only be viewed independently, but rather as an important part of the holistic impact of the park. In the literature about the art of theme park design, the Main Street / Castle experience ranks among its celebrated milestones... and for good reason, in my humble opinion!

G00fyDad

Aaaaannnnnnnddddd, how about that Great Movie Ride closure?

e8e6f829_circular_argumentmid.jpg

Cesar R M

If there is no difference between Mount Rushmore, The Statue of Liberty and the Plastic Castle at the end of Main Street, then I apparently have my priorities all messed up.

The Castle is an icon. The difference it is a cultural not historical type of icon.
The castle could be recognizable everywhere that Disney had a touch on it.
Everyone would instantly think "oh wow, thats Disney".
Same way you get the feel "Wow I'm in new york" when you're finally seeing the statue of liberty.
They are the most important landmarks on the areas they are with.
Apart from the Park Icons.. what Orlando is recognizable for? The city seems VERY generic in layout.

When you're flying one of the first things you could notice is the Space Ship Earth's buildings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom