News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Validation has been achieved. As you said, "TWDC has plans for plans". Yet the plan that I considered to be just a rumor has now been elevated to a plan that has been shelved. As we all know, Disney is famous for dusting off old plans and putting them into action when circumstances permit or requirements demand. I'm not suggesting it's an immediate plan of action but rather a viable option. The plan seems entirely credible, reasonable, feasible and very possible all things considered.
So do scores of others sitting in a file cabinet. What's your point caller? Other than more troglodytic prattle....

No Name

To fix all of the percieved "problems" that the GMR has would still cost money, and perhaps make the ride a bit disjointed or lame. How do you lessen or get rid of the "scary" part without hurting the ride as a whole? I almost know for certain that most people on here would not like the changes, and I don't think I would either. And so perhaps, if it is between major refurbing and complete gutting, it is best that they gut it and build a new ride with a strong vision (the Mickey ride).

Whether I like or dislike this, for me, really depends on how good the Mickey ride is.

Well then. That just makes this whole thing even stupider. If I had to guess the unused space will be a gift shop selling Mickey merch that can be found anywhere else on property.

Oh joy :rolleyes:
The fact that the ride will not even take up the whole existing show building tells you it is going to be a short, diminished attraction and certainly not what any of us are hoping for....goodbye epic ride, hello short-attention span attraction...ugh
:rolleyes: How stupid on Disney's part. What's the point of the "blessing of size" if you don't freaking use it?

If they aren't using the whole building, are they at least going to add something to the unused space? Maybe like a M&G?

Quite harsh reactions.

The reality is that a good trackless ride does not need as much space as a good traveling theater ride. The GMR building is very large with large rooms and large vehciles. LPS vehicles are smaller and more agile, so basically, more can happen in a smaller space. I too would love to see it use the entire building, and I'm not trying to give them excuses... it's just that this can certainly be a quality ride while only using 70-80% of the space.

I would put equal or more weight on Martin's comment about the ride time. If this is a 7 or 8 minute ride, or even 6 minute... it certainly has a ton of potential. Mystic Manor is only 5 minutes long and people love it. Ratatouille is even shorter. I believe Hunny Hunt is even shorter, at around only 4 minutes.

So I still expect great things from this ride. As long as it doesn't get cut down too much.

yeti

To fix all of the percieved "problems" that the GMR has would still cost money, and perhaps make the ride a bit disjointed or lame. How do you lessen or get rid of the "scary" part without hurting the ride as a whole? I almost know for certain that most people on here would not like the changes, and I don't think I would either. And so perhaps, if it is between major refurbing and complete gutting, it is best that they gut it and build a new ride with a strong vision (the Mickey ride).

Whether I like or dislike this, for me, really depends on how good the Mickey ride is.

Quite harsh reactions.

The reality is that a good trackless ride does not need as much space as a good traveling theater ride. The GMR building is very large with large rooms and large vehciles. LPS vehicles are smaller and more agile, so basically, more can happen in a smaller space. I too would love to see it use the entire building, and I'm not trying to give them excuses... it's just that this can certainly be a quality ride while only using 70-80% of the space.

I would put equal or more weight on Martin's comment about the ride time. If this is a 7 or 8 minute ride, or even 6 minute... it certainly has a ton of potential. Mystic Manor is only 5 minutes long and people love it. Ratatouille is even shorter. I believe Hunny Hunt is even shorter, at around only 4 minutes.

So I still expect great things from this ride. As long as it doesn't get cut down too much.

I agree that the size of the building doesn't really matter much - lots of great rides out there have relatively small footprints. However the quality or length of Mickey is immaterial to the problem that it should be built somewhere else.

Arguably they have just "fixed" the ride, it looks better than it has in years (even if I hate how they've screwed around with the final montage). Why build in an existing space if you're not going to use it all?

A: To save money. Or rather, peanuts.

Phil12

So do scores of others sitting in a file cabinet. What's your point caller? Other than more troglodytic prattle....
The point is that TWDC has lots of plans for modification and replacement of attractions yet some people suffer major histrionics when attractions are changed or replaced. TGMR is a good example. It's been running for 27 years with a few updates along the way. I see no reason why the attraction can't be completely replaced with a new ride. I'd welcome the change.

After all TWDC file cabinets are overflowing with plans for new attractions so what's wrong with getting rid of some of the less popular rides or modifying them to provide fresh new stories? Disney parks have attractions that qualify for inclusion into The National Registry of Historic Places.

Fortunately we're going to see some big changes at DHS and AK and I'm glad that Disney is wise enough not to view their attractions as sacrosanct and untouchable. We'll be able to see some re-invigoration at WDW.

Of course there are certain attractions at WDW that don't need any changes because they are popular with guests. Haunted Mansion, Soarin', PoC, WDWRR, Jungle Cruise and many others always draw huge crowds and don't really need modification except to perhaps incorporate IP to sell plush.

But Disney has a number of attractions that don't pull the guests in like they used to. Stitch's Great Escape is in that category now along with CoP, CBJ, Tiki Room, The Liberty Belle, Tom Sawyer's Island and others. These attractions need to have TWDC file cabinets opened up to see if these attractions can be changed to draw crowds again. The Tiki Room Under New Management was a good experiment in that direction.

On the other hand it just could be the case that some attractions (even with new stories) are beyond the point where they can once again draw crowds. Those attractions need to be replaced with new attractions. Mr. Toad is a good example of this scenario.

Conversely Maelstrom was able to be a crowd pleaser again with the simple change to Frozen Ever After. TWDC file cabinet that held that plan has most likely been gold plated! I think it's more difficult to breath new life into an old attraction such as Maelstrom than it is to demolish and start from scratch. I applaud the designers for their excellent work!

And then of course there's the case in which it just makes sense to eliminate the attraction such as the Skyway. If they decide to eliminate the Rivers of America then The Liberty Belle will suffer this fate. But of course I can only speculate.

At one time I was amazed at how fans would throw hissy fits when Disney changed, modified or eliminated their favorite ride or vista. I've now learned that such reactions from the fan community are to be expected. I'm looking forward to the changes as I also view nothing at Disney as sacrosanct.

Andrew_Ryan

I agree that the size of the building doesn't really matter much - lots of great rides out there have relatively small footprints. However the quality or length of Mickey is immaterial to the problem that it should be built somewhere else.

Arguably they have just "fixed" the ride, it looks better than it has in years (even if I hate how they've screwed around with the final montage). Why build in an existing space if you're not going to use it all?

A: To save money. Or rather, peanuts.

It's odd considering the crowds they hope to attract for Star Wars. Why not take every opportunity to expand capacity? Why reduce it, for heavens sake?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The point is that TWDC has lots of plans for modification and replacement of attractions yet some people suffer major histrionics when attractions are changed or replaced. TGMR is a good example. It's been running for 27 years with a few updates along the way. I see no reason why the attraction can't be completely replaced with a new ride. I'd welcome the change.

After all TWDC file cabinets are overflowing with plans for new attractions so what's wrong with getting rid of some of the less popular rides or modifying them to provide fresh new stories? Disney parks have attractions that qualify for inclusion into The National Registry of Historic Places.

Fortunately we're going to see some big changes at DHS and AK and I'm glad that Disney is wise enough not to view their attractions as sacrosanct and untouchable. We'll be able to see some re-invigoration at WDW.

Of course there are certain attractions at WDW that don't need any changes because they are popular with guests. Haunted Mansion, Soarin', PoC, WDWRR, Jungle Cruise and many others always draw huge crowds and don't really need modification except to perhaps incorporate IP to sell plush.

But Disney has a number of attractions that don't pull the guests in like they used to. Stitch's Great Escape is in that category now along with CoP, CBJ, Tiki Room, The Liberty Belle, Tom Sawyer's Island and others. These attractions need to have TWDC file cabinets opened up to see if these attractions can be changed to draw crowds again. The Tiki Room Under New Management was a good experiment in that direction.

On the other hand it just could be the case that some attractions (even with new stories) are beyond the point where they can once again draw crowds. Those attractions need to be replaced with new attractions. Mr. Toad is a good example of this scenario.

Conversely Maelstrom was able to be a crowd pleaser again with the simple change to Frozen Ever After. TWDC file cabinet that held that plan has most likely been gold plated! I think it's more difficult to breath new life into an old attraction such as Maelstrom than it is to demolish and start from scratch. I applaud the designers for their excellent work!

And then of course there's the case in which it just makes sense to eliminate the attraction such as the Skyway. If they decide to eliminate the Rivers of America then The Liberty Belle will suffer this fate. But of course I can only speculate.

At one time I was amazed at how fans would throw hissy fits when Disney changed, modified or eliminated their favorite ride or vista. I've now learned that such reactions from the fan community are to be expected. I'm looking forward to the changes as I also view nothing at Disney as sacrosanct.
Just whatever TWDC decides is on a quarterly basis? Hitting that rarefied troglodytic strata, you are....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How much will they actually save to justify gutting a high capacity, popular attraction? When the pixie dust settles, there will still only be 10-15 attractions in the park.

As long as the new ride is as at least as popular then it's only a short term loss.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Then...it's a missed chance for a long term gain. Either way it's a small park that makes a lot of business, they can easily afford to operate multiple attractions.

Not sure what you mean by a missed chance, the ride that we are hearing is replacing it sounds like it will be very popular, probably more popular then GMR.

It has nothing to do with them being able to afford it, it's a question of them wanting to afford it. Not saying I like it, but it seems to be the way the current management thinks.

aladdin2007

really dont know where you get your facts from, I think if it were up to you you would just bulldoze over the parks.

OSUPhantom

I sincerely hope this is not the case. I am biased, I'll admit, since GMR remains one of my favorites and seeing it go for what I can only imagine would be an attraction with far less charm or grace would break my heart. Every time I have been the ride still brings in decent crowds so I'l surprised that a park with so little would be seeking to close something. I feel there are ways this ride can still get an update without totally rejecting the concept. But these are probably just my hopes rather than astute insights.

Phil12

Just whatever TWDC decides is on a quarterly basis? Hitting that rarefied troglodytic strata, you are....
As I said, I expect such histrionics since some fans are so emotionally attached that their objectivity is diminished. Some people even resort to ad hominem to express their displeasure.

Cesar R M

Not sure what you mean by a missed chance, the ride that we are hearing is replacing it sounds like it will be very popular, probably more popular then GMR.

It has nothing to do with them being able to afford it, it's a question of them wanting to afford it. Not saying I like it, but it seems to be the way the current management thinks.
The attraction hasnt been built, how do you know it will be more popular? only because its Mickey?
Lets remember what happened with Stitch and Alien Encounter. during the peak of Stitch.
If they build another turd of an attraction.. It wont help anything.
They just replaced an old attraction with another turd.

RSoxNo1

Please Marilyn, have a Snickers Bar.
Willem Dafoe as the Green Goblin as Marilyn Monroe is coming to Hollywood Boulevard as a streetmasphere character...
SATSIX_davoe-700x481.jpg

SATSIX_davoe2-700x619.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom