Disney No Longer Including Appetizers for Deluxe Dining Plan

LaughingGravy

Free Dining has run its course. It no longer drives attendance.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/stay-dine/
So, I guess they still do it, as of today. 6/25 ,booking by July 10th 2015.
Get a Free dining plan when you purchase a non-discounted 6-night/7-day Magic Your Way package that includes a room at a select Disney Resort hotel and tickets with Park Hopper or Water Park Fun & More Option.
Book by July 10, 2015.

Offer valid at select Disney Resort hotels for the following arrival dates:
  • August 28 – October 2, 2015
  • October 25 – October 31, 2015
  • November 8 – November 19, 2015
  • December 15 – December 21, 2015
See the Dining Plans offered for select Disney Resort hotels within each Resort Category below.

Resort Category Dining Plan

Select Disney Deluxe Villa Resort Hotels
FREE Disney Dining Plan

Select Disney Deluxe Resort Hotels
FREE Disney Dining Plan

Select Disney Moderate Resort Hotels
FREE Disney Dining Plan

Select Disney Value Resort Hotels
FREE Disney Quick-Service Dining Plan

I have to say, it is the only thing that would get us back there now. Even then, no appetizers and tip not included really took away a lot of the fun of the plan, the no-brainer aspect of one card, not adding the tip, or figuring it out based on the server and how busy or inattentive they might be.
We are not huge dessert eaters. We don't go out to eat often, and when we do, appetizers are a true rarity, like never, so on a Disney Vacation, on the dining plan, the appetizers were a huge draw. We're at Disney, sit down, AND, we get appetizers..Woo Hooo!!!!!
Now, not so much.

Unless I am mistaken, the DDP servers used to get 18% tip. I only tip 15%, unless services warrant it, meaning we get some attention/refilled waters/ more than once asking how things are can I get you anything else.

I don't see how servers could have horror stories about DDP folks. I could see it now that the tip is not included, but when it was, what was to complain about?
(Here's the plan, you get X, but you don't get y. I can disappear once things are brought ( as happened at Whispering Canyon), and I still get my tip).

Last edited:

betty rose

Great way to put it. I'd be much more likely to consider the mid level plan for short trips if appetizers were included. Now, if I could get a beer a day with it, that would make it a slam dunk.
Dessert is never a good choice for diabetics. I thought Disney was supposed to be doing "more" healthy, and accommodating for those with food restrictions! Not a good move, in MHO.

PhotoDave219

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/stay-dine/
So, I guess they still do it, as of today. 6/25 ,booking by July 10th 2015.
Get a Free dining plan when you purchase a non-discounted 6-night/7-day Magic Your Way package that includes a room at a select Disney Resort hotel and tickets with Park Hopper or Water Park Fun & More Option.
Book by July 10, 2015.

Offer valid at select Disney Resort hotels for the following arrival dates:
  • August 28 – October 2, 2015
  • October 25 – October 31, 2015
  • November 8 – November 19, 2015
  • December 15 – December 21, 2015
See the Dining Plans offered for select Disney Resort hotels within each Resort Category below.

Resort Category Dining Plan

Select Disney Deluxe Villa Resort Hotels
FREE Disney Dining Plan

Select Disney Deluxe Resort Hotels
FREE Disney Dining Plan

Select Disney Moderate Resort Hotels
FREE Disney Dining Plan

Select Disney Value Resort Hotels
FREE Disney Quick-Service Dining Plan

I have to say, it is the only thing that would get us back there now. Even then, no appetizers and tip not included really took away a lot of the fun of the plan, the no-brainer aspect of one card, not adding the tip, or figuring it out based on the server and how busy or inattentive they might be.
We are not huge dessert eaters. We don't go out to eat often, and when we do, appetizers are a true rarity, like never, so on a Disney Vacation, on the dining plan, the appetizers were a huge draw. We're at Disney, sit down, AND, we get appetizers..Woo Hooo!!!!!
Now, not so much.

Unless I am mistaken, the DDP servers used to get 18% tip. I only tip 15%, unless services warrant it, meaning we get some attention/refilled waters/ more than once asking how things are can I get you anything else.

I don't see how servers could have horror stories about DDP folks. I could see it now that the tip is not included, but when it was, what was to complain about?
(Here's the plan, you get X, but you don't get y. I can disappear once things are brought ( as happened at Whispering Canyon), and I still get my tip).

I'm sorry, perhaps you missed the part where I said they have no longer drive attendance.

kucarachi

Well they should at least give you the option to choose an appetizer or a dessert. One or the other is fair, it might cost them a few dollars to let you have a piece of pie but they don't want to even give you that anymore? Wasn't even a few years ago they used to give away the table service plan with an appetizer & dessert per person. It was like every meal was an all you can eat buffet and we started bringing storage bins to take stuff back to the room. Eventually we started to order one meal and share it since there was so much...and actually giving away our snacks or desserts to other guest because we were exploding. But you left feeling like you got more than your moneys worth...and they were giving this away free during hurricane season. It has to end though, they have to realize that at some point you cross the threshold of acceptable, and they are only a few more years away from making peoples annual trips into semi, once a decade, or even once a lifetime. Is it really just gas prices? then figure out how to use solar power in a state called "the sunshine state"

Buried20KLeague

No one should be surprised by this... It's just another in the long line of tweaks and adjustments to the DDP since it was first introduced (and actually quite a good value as opposed to now when it's a marketing gimmick that just happens to deal with food).

The CEO himself said that the Parks and Resorts were too heavily discounted and they were going to fix that. They keep moving the needle, and watching how many sheeple keep rolling through the turnstiles. As long as attendance keeps up, you're going to keep seeing this stuff happen. No one should be surprised. They haven't reached the public's breaking point, and they know it. And they may never. It's highly possible that there will always be a segment of the population that's willing to do whatever it takes (including diving heavily into credit cards, refi their house, etc) to ensure they get to see their kid spinning around in a circle on Dumbo.

Nostalgia is a VERY powerful thing. And don't think Bobby doesn't know it.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Dessert is never a good choice for diabetics. I thought Disney was supposed to be doing "more" healthy, and accommodating for those with food restrictions! Not a good move, in MHO.
You probably know this but just in case... they always have a sugar free option for deserts at all locations on the menu at TS and QS locations. Yes I know it's still not a great idea even though it's sugar free but those options are there for people having to watch their sugar. Appetizers depending on what's in it may not be best for diabetics either as carbs will turn into sugar as well. Have family members with diabetes and see a lot of what they shouldnt have when we go eat. Also maybe if you told them you/family member are diabetic (if you are I don't know of course lol) they might let you substitute for an appitizer instead of desert. Never hurts to ask. :)

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Just wanted to say thank you for pretty much all the posts you've made in this thread as they echo exactly how we handle the dining plan. I travel with 3 other adults and for the most part, we break even, we tip very well, we do not over eat, none of us are gluttons, the stereotypes brought up near the beginning of this thread do not at all apply to us. For the most part, our use of the dining plan is based on convenience. Frankly, I don't mind paying for it well in advance of our trips as it makes the post trip bill easier to handle. If they take away the appetizers, so be it, it's not the end of the world Only once or twice a trip would all four of us dining every get 4 apps and 4 desserts. Normally, at most, 2 and 2, so we'd either go without the app or pay out of pocket. I'd miss the Taste of Africa at Jiko.
Agree completely especially saying how you are not gluttons as we are not either. Lol. But food is a big part of our vacations and we look forward to that experience. And Your your very welcome but no need to thank me as I was just telling our wonderful experience with the dining plans. Glad to hear others can have good experiences with the plans like I have.
Like I mentioned before some it works for and others it does not and that's okay. I never push it on anyone just let them know the true facts and my personal experiences with it. Then they will make their decision of what's best for them. :hungry::D

HRHPrincessAriel

A few $100 extra just doesn't seem convenient to me. We did the gift card thing and just used them to pay off all our bill at the end. We didn't think twice about what we ordered or what we bought souvenir wise. We had lots of drinks(booze) and snacks. At the end of It all we spent less than we would have on the meal plan. I'd rather have that $200 to spend on things.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
No one should be surprised. They haven't reached the public's breaking point, and they know it.
The fact that some people still debate that there is actual (monetary) value in the DP is proof that the publics breaking point is whatever Disney tells them it is. Wife and I were big advocates for it when it first came out and had actual value. We did the deluxe plan when it was appx $70 per person and loved it, circa 2007. We ditched it years ago when it became overpriced and quality dropped. Look at the price now, $110 per person and there are fewer spots you can eat than in years past and many have been switched to Signature.

I dont understand why people think that pre-paying Disney for your food is any different or easier than putting it on a gift card or having a separate account to draw from. "We break even" or "its convenient" are just things people say to fool themselves into thinking they are getting a deal. For our upcoming trip, we are taking a new approach. Ive set up an extra account that I have been putting money into here and there. By the time our trip comes, we will have about the same amount that DP would have cost us. We will have the card linked to our magic bands and we can buy WHATEVER we want at ANY location and even charge drinks. To me, thats a million times smarter than the DP and just as convenient. Actually, its even more convenient considering we wont be limited to where we can eat or what we use our money for.

We often make reservations for a TS spot like La Hacienda or Via Napoli and may just decide we want appetizers and drinks. You cant do that on the DP, you either have to waste a credit or pay OOP. We wont have to eat more food than we need just to be able to say "we broke even!" No need to compare budgets after our trip either so we can defend the DP's illusionary value.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Servers at Disney can be hit or miss. We tip according to service. Lately, and especially at the TS and Signature spots, its been more of a miss for us. Usually feel rushed. We have had bad service at Yachtsmen, Cali Grill and Chefs de France as of late. When I say "bad service", Im referring to level of sophistication the wait staff has, Not errors in our order. Dont ask me what I want for dessert before my entree has even come out and our wine glasses have sat empty for ten minutes. If we say no to dessert, dont try your hardest to convince us we need it just so you can jack up the bill. The waiter at Chefs de France was so insistent that I had to tell him to chill out. When they see your on the dining plan, they try even harder and rush you even more. Its very obvious.

FYI, we completely realize and have learned over the years that one bad experience/waiter doesnt mean you should write off the restaurant for good.

Last edited:

suburbianj

I can't really complain.....over here in the UK the dining plans are free for eleven months of the year roughly....free breakfast when staying in a value, free quick service DP when staying in a moderate and free dining plan when staying in a deluxe,I can tell you right now,if they ever made it NOT free for us in the UK I can guarantee they would lose ALOT of business to outside hotels and to universal due to cost factors (personally I've been trying to persuade the wife to do a split disney/universal stay one week at each as that unlimited express ride pass universal offers at there hotels looks rather meaty to me :) )

DC0703

The way I see it is this:

Benefits of DDP:
- Everything is paid in advance so you are not reminded that you are dropping boatloads of money on food

Benefits of OOP:
- You can choose anything on the menu without worrying that you are losing money on the plan
- You can eat anywhere you want without contemplating how many points it is or whether it is quick service or table service
- Is it hot out and you really don't feel super hungry? Save your money and eat light. You're not missing out.
- Prefer an appetizer over dessert? No problem!
- Prefer to eat one place and get a more appetizing dessert from another place? No problem!
- Want to wait and eat a dessert later in the afternoon when you are less full? No problem!
- No stockpile of snack credits that you were too full to use.
- Are you a light eater, picky eater or have dietary restrictions? You'll save money
- Let's face it, almost anyone would probably save money, unless you really like steak and fancy desserts for every meal.

It's a close one... a very tough choice... but I'm leaning toward OOP :)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The way I see it is this:

Benefits of DDP:
- Everything is paid in advance so you are not reminded that you are dropping boatloads of money on food

Benefits of OOP:
- You can choose anything on the menu without worrying that you are losing money on the plan
- You can eat anywhere you want without contemplating how many points it is or whether it is quick service or table service
- Is it hot out and you really don't feel super hungry? Save your money and eat light. You're not missing out.
- Prefer an appetizer over dessert? No problem!
- Prefer to eat one place and get a more appetizing dessert from another place? No problem!
- Want to wait and eat a dessert later in the afternoon when you are less full? No problem!
- No stockpile of snack credits that you were too full to use.
- Are you a light eater, picky eater or have dietary restrictions? You'll save money
- Let's face it, almost anyone would probably save money, unless you really like steak and fancy desserts for every meal.

It's a close one... a very tough choice... but I'm leaning toward OOP :)
You forgot another benefit of OOP:

-time saved not pouring over your receipts to compare the two.

Its funny how people feel the DP is a great value, yet still feel compelled to compare it OOP expense, just to make sure they got a good deal. As long as they convince themselves they would have eaten all the same stuff, at the same places, and the same amount of food, they can say "I broke even" and sleep at night.

HRHPrincessAriel

And to add the only reason we did gift cards vs a separate account is our grocery store often offers 4x fuel points on gift cards. A $100 gift card gets us .40 off a gallon and $10 off a tank. I would just randomly buy them. The time I got a $250 one earned us $26 off a fill up. A much better "discount"

BernardandBianca

I posted it WAS variable in the part I copied And pasted, and if it was the $42 price on the highest end of the variable that still already INCLUDES TAX. Read below the prices as that is tax Already included in those prices that are listed. You put it was $48 PLUS TAX. I also own DVC at AKV and eat and stay there often as well. So that info is irrelevant to make a point to me thank you!!

Directly from the WDW Dining site today: Boma pricing
$$ ($15 to $29.99 per adult) - $$$ ($30 to $59.99 per adult)
I will guess the first range is for breakfast, and the second range is for dinner. I also note their information tag that says that taxes are not included.

BernardandBianca

They raised it to $125 the last year I was part of the program. Used to be the Disney Dining Experience.

$125 a year for restaurants you cant get into? Only thing I ended up using it for was free valet at the resort bars.

As was pointed our above, its "only" $100 for APs. I can remember when it was $50/year, you got two cards, and no blackouts.

It's now $125 and has blackouts and V&A and a few others have been removed from program
I think V&A isthe only one removed; the others are either blacked out on certain dates, or never were part of the program (Japan Teppan Edo)

What other restaurants are off TIW?
From the WDW site: Beginning August 1st 2014, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey’s, ‘Ohana (Dinner Only), Cinderella’s Royal Table, LeChefs de France, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, and Le Cellier Steakhouse will be subject to the additional blockout weeks of: March 8-April 4, 2015; May 31-June 20, 2015; November 22-28, 2015 and December 20-26, 2015.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom