Disney negotiating the LOTR rights!

doctornick

I hope Percy Jackson is done well. Those movies were awful…

Artemis Fowl made the Percy Jackson movies look like Best Picture candidates.

I'm actually surprised the Chronicles of Narnia films didn't do better. I thought they were pretty decent. Wouldn't mind seeing Disney try their hand at that again. Maybe change it up by doing a full series of all the books and do them in chronological order.

ToTBellHop

I'm actually surprised the Chronicles of Narnia films didn't do better. I thought they were pretty decent. Wouldn't mind seeing Disney try their hand at that again. Maybe change it up by doing a full series of all the books and do them in chronological order.
I think, at the end of the day, people really like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and don’t care about the others. I agree though. I liked Caspian and Dawn Treader (the latter of which I imagine Disney now owns?)

CinematicFusion

Tonto

It would be tough nut to crack. There is no chance you could go the galaxys edge route. You would need to use Potter as your blueprint. You would need the iconic locations like the shire, saruman's tower... The rides would be the hard part. Nothing in the movies really screams ride. Of course I wouldn't mind a ride in the style of the great movie ride where you journey from the shire to Mordor
I think that is for any of the parks at this point. The amount of Facebookers who want Indiana Jones in A.K. is scarily large. I wouldn't put it past folks to think LOTR would be a good fit there, too. Yikes.
Indy would be a fantastic addition to animal kingdom. Yes I know, it’s not connected to animals.

However, I can’t help to think aesthetically there would be no better fit. A temple surrounded by a jungle! Would be awesome in Asia! I would sign up for that anyday. Its a theme park. Let’s not take it all that serious.

Disstevefan1

I was reading an article on a website talking about Saul Zaentz Co., that they were selling the rights of the The Lord of the Rings universe with a price of 2.000 million dollars and many sites were saying that Disney were leading the bid to get the rights of the novel. Also, I read that Disney wants Peter Jackson to be involve in all the series, theme park and movies that Disney wants to release in the future, like Avatar with James Cameron! Anyone knows something about this? and if this is true, what do you think Disney would do about it? 🧐
I am Glad I am not a LOTR fan and do not know the canon so I will never know how much Disney destroys it after they get it....

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Indy would be a fantastic addition to animal kingdom.
No it wouldn't.
Yes I know, it’s not connected to animals.
Jesus christ.
However, I can’t help to think aesthetically there would be no better fit.
Hollywood Studios. Adventureland.
A temple surrounded by a jungle! Would be awesome in Asia!
Or..... Hollywood Studios... Adventureland....
I would sign up for that anyday.
You are what is wrong with the modern day fandom.
Its a theme park. Let’s not take it all that serious.
The imagineering motto for modern-day Epcot.

Tonto

No it wouldn't.

Jesus christ.

Hollywood Studios. Adventureland.

Or..... Hollywood Studios... Adventureland....

You are what is wrong with the modern day fandom.

The imagineering motto for modern-day Epcot.
it’s not my preference to have Indy at Animal Kingdom. I would prefer HS or even MK, but I wouldn’t get my panties in a bunch about it going to AK.

I only suggested that AK does fit the jungle aesthetic for Indy. Not the case at HS.

You gotta give me some points for not suggesting Epcot.

You are feisty! 🐯

Last edited:

Ripken10

I think, at the end of the day, people really like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and don’t care about the others. I agree though. I liked Caspian and Dawn Treader (the latter of which I imagine Disney now owns?)
I thought Disney lost the rights to the Chronicles of Narnia and one of the other major streamers was developing movies or series for them.

sedati

I thought Disney lost the rights to the Chronicles of Narnia and one of the other major streamers was developing movies or series for them.
Netflix has the rights, but is moving at a snail's pace with them. I loved the (BBC) animated version as a kid and had read TLTWTW, but after seeing the new movie and seeing this story for what it really is... I don't see it as a loss.

Snow Queen 83

It's too bad that the new series will kill any buzz for LOTR. It looks like it's just making up things that the author never wrote just to put in some diversity.

bustamelon

Fifth Gate Confirmed! Icon will naturally be Barad-dur, hosting Chapek's all seeing eye and searching for the lost IP to rule them all. The Frontierland Shooting Arcade will be moved and repurposed to an Elfish archery range or perhaps dwarvish Axe-throwing arena.

Naturally, I can't wait for the DCL synergy of Hobbit Day at Sea. Hairy feet contests to "compete" with Carnival's Hairy Chest party and natural overeating event tie-ins. Of course, the day ends with a visit from everybody's favorite wizard Gandalf, when he graces us with his fireworks spectacular!

-I think this could be a win for Disney, or whatever studio wins the bidding war. But I doubt current TDO brass would do the right things with such a franchise.
I am CERTAIN they would do all the wrong things with it. The inevitable dance tracks from Lin Manuel Miranda are already giving me nausea.

themerebear6453

You thought Disney ruined Star Wars? Well, just wait till you see what they can do to Middle Earth!
I have been worried since Christopher Tolkien died. He was protecting his father's work. Hopefully Disney keeps their fingers off it. We don't need anymore adaptations. Look at what Jackson did to The Hobbit! That was a tragedy.

JIMINYCR

DW is a LOTR fan so on the upside, if Disney did do anything with the property, maybe I wouldnt have to cry, beg, convince, persuade, appeal, request, plea, grovel to her that a Disney trip just has to be booked.
tenor.gif

Animaniac93-98

I'm actually surprised the Chronicles of Narnia films didn't do better. I thought they were pretty decent.

I think, at the end of the day, people really like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and don’t care about the others.

The first Narnia movie was a genuine, Oscar-winning box office hit, making around $750 million worldwide in 2005.

But I think @ToTBellHop is right, that book is significantly more well known and liked than Narnia as a series. Disney was right from a business standpoint to skip the first book, but I don't know if there's enough appetite among the general public to make each book a giant, epic sized/long movie.

Prince Caspian did make over $400 million worldwide, but with a $225 million budget (!) before marketing, they made it an uphill battle for the franchise to be profitable.

Magenta Panther

The first film was okay, but Prince Caspian was awful, partly because the studio tried to turn the title character into a hunk. :rolleyes: In the book, he was a young boy, and should have stayed that way in the film. Also, Reepicheep the Mouse was turned into a fuzzy-wuzzy short joke. None of his swashbuckling gallantry and courtly speech mannerisms were retained. Man, screenwriters in Hollywood must have a deep contempt for audience IQ. Books that have stood the test of time and are adapted into films get most of their best ideas and dialogue tossed in favor of cheap "hip" humor. Or worse, are desecrated in the name of woke ("A Wrinkle In Time" being the best example. I'm glad Madeleine L'Engle didn't see what that twit DuVernay did to her award-winning classic novel. It would probably have sent her to her grave that much earlier).

(Now of course the MGM version of The Wizard of Oz did stray from the source material, but only to add in wit and whimsy that was missing from Baum's book, which is rather a staid, straightforward tale. Happily, the people who adapted the book were gifted writers and artists, who had the talent to enhance the source material, rather than degrade it. Narnia and The Hobbit haven't been so lucky.)

I'd love to see a lush, 2D animated Disney version of Narnia. And also Peter S Beagle's The Last Unicorn, which is NOT a girly fairy tale in the least. Not to mention The Hobbit, which sure deserves better than that awful atrocity of a film. But of course that won't happen...

Magenta Panther

Unfortunately Disney has lowered the bar so much with theming, all while letting the parks become completely underbuilt. Resulting in people starving for content no matter what it takes weather it fits or not.

You take one look at Phantasialand and Europa Park in Germany, and the Efteling park in the Netherlands, and you'll see theming that will blow your mind and break your heart. Even the MINOR theme parks in Europe are kicking Disney's butt. Here's a video from Theme Park Worldwide that features a visit to Plopsaland (yes I know, but the park's in Belgium, different language) and a ride on its amazing new coaster "The Ride To Happiness":

Isn't that amazing? Holy cow. And Disney could totally afford theming of this level. But it won't. Because they think we Yanks will happily settle for so much less...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
it’s not my preference to have Indy at Animal Kingdom. I would prefer HS or even MK, but I wouldn’t get my panties in a bunch about it going to AK.
My panties are in the biggest wad. Extremely uncomfortable.
I only suggested that AK does fit the jungle aesthetic for Indy.
I disagree
Not the case at HS.
HS works with the direction it is in. Toy story land, Star Wars land, indiana Jones land. Keep it going.
You gotta give me some points for not suggesting Epcot.
Suggesting Epcot is better than suggesting AK. Epcot is long gone. AK still has its dignity.
You are feisty! 🐯
It’s a disney park fan forum. I’m allowed to be passionate about these things. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom