Disney negotiating the LOTR rights!

mysto

Honestly I dont think Disney has handled Star Wars the worst.

I have to agree that Disney has handled Star Wars really well in places, especially some you point out Rogue One / Mando etc. My only real issue is the ROTR ride won't stay running.

The issue with LOTR is that it was written in like 1920 or something, and no new stories have been told since then. I'm not sure what it would take to expand that universe and write some spinoff stories. I think Disney or anyone would need that to really take it anywhere.

JoeCamel

I have to agree that Disney has handled Star Wars really well in places, especially some you point out Rogue One / Mando etc. My only real issue is the ROTR ride won't stay running.

The issue with LOTR is that it was written in like 1920 or something, and no new stories have been told since then. I'm not sure what it would take to expand that universe and write some spinoff stories. I think Disney or anyone would need that to really take it anywhere.
Burn your keyboard

nokahoma

If only the masses hadn't rejected John Carter, we could probably visit Barsoom in DHS today.

Also, all this "Amazon's LOTR is woke" stuff is absurd. Nobody's even seen the show yet. People use the word "woke" as a cover for what they're really complaining about, because they know if they spoke plainly they'd rightly get accused of all the -isms and -phobias.

britain

For all of the talk about theme parks, Amazon is most likely going to buy the rights. They have the streaming service that needs content, they have the money, they already bought some of the rights, and apparently Bezos is a big Tolkein fan. It's a recipe for an overbid.

The question then is, will they work with a park for the theme park rights? In that scenario, that fits more into the Universal business model.

Really, it's a great opportunity for a wannabe to make a splash in the parks business, if Amazon were so inclined.

WizardofDestiny123

Would the Tolkien estate even approve of Disney using it?
Their approval would not be a factor. They sold the rights to UA and Saul Zaentz in the first place. Besides, the grandchildren and other conservators are the ones in charge now. They might care about monetary concerns more than preserving the integrity of the work as Christopher Tolkien did.
Christopher was the one angry about the Peter Jackson movies, not the grandkids. Rumor has it, a generational split is what caused a rift between his kids and grandkids.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom