Disney negotiating the LOTR rights!

JoeCamel

I think the presence of WWoHP is why it doesn’t fit at UOR. Too much high fantasy. Let a different company build different rides with different dragons, trolls, wizards, and giant spiders.
I'm not sure the field of candidates that would make the investment or have the resources to do the IP justice is very broad. I can think of four that have the experience.
I'm biased, as with many I was lent a set of the four books as a tween, I loved reading for hours and this filled the bill. This was pre most of the RPGs like D&D so not a lot of fantasy floating around, it was sci-fi all the way for imagination and a tale from middle earth with rich story elements and all the suspense you could want was a real shift and so appreciated.
I would hate to see a half baked version get the money.

Last edited:

mattpeto

Perhaps Disney can get the theme park rights to Game of Thrones?!?
It's really a shame the last season was such a mess, Disney would definitely hopped on that opportunity.

Watching Drogon melt the Iron Throne would have been some real Disney magic too!

Last edited:

mf1972

i would think if disney got the rights for LOTR, it could possibly mean building a new park for it instead of a new land like toy story & star wars.

pdude81

I'd assume that the acquisition of LOTR allows Disney to have a massive block on someone else entering the space with a new theme park, and then they could either add a land to a new park or a ride here or there to the existing parks if it made sense. That's on the park side.

In all reality, if they are making a play for these properties, it's to get stock analysts excited about Disney+.

doctornick

Not that it would happen, but I think potentially the best use for something like LOTR would be a LARP type experience similar to Starcruiser. High fantasy is tailor made for that concept though I guess the flip side is that it would not be as unique as Star Wars is since medieval type LARP are found all around.

Cesar R M

lord of the rings eating GIF
second breakfast upcharge package confirmed!

csmat99

I was reading an article on a website talking about Saul Zaentz Co., that they were selling the rights of the The Lord of the Rings universe with a price of 2.000 million dollars and many sites were saying that Disney were leading the bid to get the rights of the novel. Also, I read that Disney wants Peter Jackson to be involve in all the series, theme park and movies that Disney wants to release in the future, like Avatar with James Cameron! Anyone knows something about this? and if this is true, what do you think Disney would do about it? 🧐
100 percent false Tolkien estate and heirs will never make a deal with Disney.

Chip Chipperson

I'm not sure the field of candidates that would make the investment or have the resources to do the IP justice is very broad. I can think of four that have the experience.
I'm biased, as with many I was lent a set of the four books as a tween, I loved reading for hours and this filled the bill. This was pre most of the RPGs like D&D so not a lot of fantasy floating around, it was sci-fi all the way for imagination and a tale from middle earth with rich story elements and all the suspense you could want was a real shift and so appreciated.
I would hate to see a half baked version get the money.

Let Six Flags buy it. They'll build a new coaster with some crazy drop, paint the track green and brown, and slap a "Hobbit" or "Gollum" sign above the queue entrance.

Rosso11

100 percent false Tolkien estate and heirs will never make a deal with Disney.
Has zero to do with the estate and never say never. Don’t forget Disney through Miramax already held the film rights to Lord Of the Rings in the 90s. Thankfully they eventually sold them to New Line Cinema but Disney did already own them once.

capsshield

If disney did decide to buy and add lord of the rings to a park they could build a middle earth.
They could use the journey to the center of the earth ride with the volcano returned to Mount doom. A very elaborate dark ride in which a giant eagle carries a basket you ride in. 20,000 leagues could be turned into a river raft ride .
They could also have a shire and Riverdale section that focuses on food shows and shops

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom