Disney negotiating the LOTR rights!

fryoj

i would think if disney got the rights for LOTR, it could possibly mean building a new park for it instead of a new land like toy story & star wars.

The same Disney that took Star Wars and made one land based on a planet that wasn't even in Star Wars, and a single Avengers land is going to make a whole new park for LOTR? Maybe we aren't talking about the same Disney

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
It's a shame they gave up the rights to Narnia... think of the amazing "Fantasyland" they could have made with the combo of LOTR + Narnia + Eragon + Percy Jackson...

TikibirdLand

The same Disney that took Star Wars and made one land based on a planet that wasn't even in Star Wars, and a single Avengers land is going to make a whole new park for LOTR? Maybe we aren't talking about the same Disney
Oh, that's Doosney. They own the Moopet franchise. I think they're still trying to get their "Doosney+" off the ground.

etherius1960

With a $6000 tag on just a couple of nights in a Star cruiser hotel, shoulder to shoulder crowds in even February, and an irrational control over all ideas… I’m a negatory on Disney taking the LOTR franchise. LOTR is large enough to have it’s own series of parks, not just a carved out corner in one. For years, players of Roller Coaster Tycoon have built custom parks, toying with the pairing of Tolkien and Disney… and Disney missed a huge opportunity to jump into the ring with a ”Disney Park” builder. Their versions at video games were seriously under par with RCT. I fear they will do the same… underwhelming, high priced, over-crowded… and so controlled that no one else can provide anything Tolkien. Still, Rivendell, Hobbiton, Mt. Doom, a Balrog here, and an Ent there would make for a great afternoon… just not in the overcrowded, sell-your-soul price of Disney.

WDW Pro

Do I have the power to summon @WDW Pro to see if this is utter rubbish?

Despite being only 86.2473% accurate in 2021, I can confirm that I have written about this issue. The synopsis: nothing is set in stone but the whole thing is very messy and heavily litigated with Disney not having a clear and immediate means to capitalize on the property. Amazon on the other hand...

GuyFawkes

Amazon is going to a good job of "woking up" LOTR. I can only think what Disney would do to it.

Amazon's show is going to bomb.

All I know is Disney turned Dr. Frankenfurter into a girl. The original wasn't enough? God only knows what they would do to LOTR?

Magenta Panther

With a $6000 tag on just a couple of nights in a Star cruiser hotel, shoulder to shoulder crowds in even February, and an irrational control over all ideas… I’m a negatory on Disney taking the LOTR franchise. LOTR is large enough to have it’s own series of parks, not just a carved out corner in one. For years, players of Roller Coaster Tycoon have built custom parks, toying with the pairing of Tolkien and Disney… and Disney missed a huge opportunity to jump into the ring with a ”Disney Park” builder. Their versions at video games were seriously under par with RCT. I fear they will do the same… underwhelming, high priced, over-crowded… and so controlled that no one else can provide anything Tolkien. Still, Rivendell, Hobbiton, Mt. Doom, a Balrog here, and an Ent there would make for a great afternoon… just not in the overcrowded, sell-your-soul price of Disney.

I'd be happy with just a good Shire area (with animatronic Hobbits a la the goblins in Gringotts) and a Smaug's Mountain ride. The Shire area could have a tavern where you could get Second Breakfast (brunch), for instance. And in Smaug's mountain, you'd see of course Smaug and also Bilbo and the Dwarfs and Gandalf AAs. It could be epic fun.

But I DON'T want to see it in a Disney park. I'd much rather Universal got it. Disney should build great rides based on Fantasia, the Pride Lands, The Jungle Book, and the Disney Villains. Or something ORIGINAL. Ah, dream on, silly dreamer...

Rambozo

I wasn't for this idea, because of the woke show. ... but if there's a dragon it completely changes my mind. I don't even care if he doesn't move either. Just give me it... I WANT DRAGON!

lewisc

This was a constant rumor back in the mid-2000s, IIRC there was a bidding war between Disney and Universal for LotR and one of them got really close to closing the deal but it ended up not happening. This was before Universal got Potter I believe.
The way I remember it, Universal was negotiating for both HP and LotR. I don't think Universal had the resources to do both.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom