News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

What is with the worship of masks by some people here?

If you like them fine no one is going to stop you from wearing them.

Kind of weird how obsessed some of you are with trying to make them a social norm.

Covid will not last forever and neither will masking.

Maybe you can move to Japan?
It is not a desire to worship masks but an honest desire to do what helps and protect myself as best I can. I'm not saying you have to wear a mask but this constant drumbeat that masks are useless and people wearing them are ill informed only the maskless know the real truth and they are crusading on the side of the right and mighty gets really old and cannot go unanswered when blatant false information is spewed.
The argument that masks don't work so why bother is specious and illogical.

Touchdown

We had no influenza in 2020-2021, we’ve had a very mild influenza season thus far this year. I can count on 1 hand the amount of people I’ve admitted for flu this year. While you can point to other things in 2020-2021, pretty much the only thing different this year in the US is there is a lot more people wearing masks this year. There is no doubt in my mind masks are supressing the flu.

I’ve worked with Covid for nearly 3 years now, and I haven’t caught it yet (knock on wood,) I credit all of the things I changed including masks, masks decrease the amount of Covid you are exposed to when near a contagious person, as we know know Covid is dose dependent. They either prevent you from getting the disease, or cause your disease to be more minor then it might have been. They do not replace vaccines, but they are the next best thing when going out in public and now that we are facing a varient which the vaccine only lowers your chances of symptomatic infection by 20-40% (60% boosted) which I believe is the current estimates are, I’ll gladly take the extra precautions.

Last edited:

Lilofan

We had no influenza in 2020-2021, we’ve had a very mild influenza season thus far this year. I can count on 1 hand the amount of people admitted for flu this year. While you can point to other things in 2020-2021, pretty much the only thing different this year in the US is there is a lot more people wearing masks this year. There is no doubt in my mind masks are supressing the flu.

I’ve worked with Covid for nearly 3 years now, and I haven’t caught it yet, I credit all of the things I changed including masks, masks decrease the amount of Covid you are exposed to when near a contagious person, as we know know Covid is dose dependent. They either prevent you from getting the disease, or cause your disease to be more minor then it might have been. They do not replace vaccines, but they are the next best thing when going out in public and now that we are facing a varient which the vaccine only lowers your chances of symptomatic infection by 20-40% (60% boosted) which I believe is the current estimates are, I’ll gladly take the extra precautions.
That's good info. Wish my former coworker would get the flu shot and covid vaccines. She did not follow her cardiologist advice to get the covid vaccine. She is part of the vaccine is worse than the virus crowd. She caught pneumonia and covid last month , spent a week in the hospital, recovering at home but then her immunocompromised husband caught covid shortly after she returned home and he has been on a ventilator/ feeding tube for the last week and counting.

Joesixtoe

It is not a desire to worship masks but an honest desire to do what helps and protect myself as best I can. I'm not saying you have to wear a mask but this constant drumbeat that masks are useless and people wearing them are ill informed only the maskless know the real truth and they are crusading on the side of the right and mighty gets really old and cannot go unanswered when blatant false information is spewed.
The argument that masks don't work so why bother is specious and illogical.
To be fair, you just did the same exact thing you blame the maskless for.

Joesixtoe

We had no influenza in 2020-2021, we’ve had a very mild influenza season thus far this year. I can count on 1 hand the amount of people admitted for flu this year. While you can point to other things in 2020-2021, pretty much the only thing different this year in the US is there is a lot more people wearing masks this year. There is no doubt in my mind masks are supressing the flu.

I’ve worked with Covid for nearly 3 years now, and I haven’t caught it yet, I credit all of the things I changed including masks, masks decrease the amount of Covid you are exposed to when near a contagious person, as we know know Covid is dose dependent. They either prevent you from getting the disease, or cause your disease to be more minor then it might have been. They do not replace vaccines, but they are the next best thing when going out in public and now that we are facing a varient which the vaccine only lowers your chances of symptomatic infection by 20-40% (60% boosted) which I believe is the current estimates are, I’ll gladly take the extra precautions.
I've heard opposite stories as well. I come to work, mask up, disinfect my area(unlike most others), social distance within reason, try to get in and out of covid rooms as quick and efficiently as I can, yet I still came down with it a few months back. Weird thing is the majority of the time I work alone. I came down with it at the same time 4 others did in my department. I do believe mask cut down on transmission too. I also believe they aren't very healthy for our lungs, long term. So if people don't want to mask up... cool, if they do....cool.

Touchdown

I've heard opposite stories as well. I come to work, mask up, disinfect my area(unlike most others), social distance within reason, try to get in and out of covid rooms as quick and efficiently as I can, yet I still came down with it a few months back. Weird thing is the majority of the time I work alone. I came down with it at the same time 4 others did in my department. I do believe mask cut down on transmission too. I also believe they aren't very healthy for our lungs, long term. So if people don't want to mask up... cool, if they do....cool.
Surgeons have been wearing masks for nearly 2 centuries now, as has everyone else in the OR. A vast majority of those peoples shifts occur in the OR. Don’t you think we would have found long term effects of masks by now?

Lilofan

Surgeons have been wearing masks for nearly 2 centuries now, as has everyone else in the OR. A vast majority of those peoples shifts occur in the OR. Don’t you think we would have found long term effects of masks by now?
Would some have an issue before going under the knife if the surgeon didn't feel the need to wear a mask? This argument of why needing to wear a mask, effects of it, etc is ridiculous. It was not surprising when companies in summer 2020 started policy of wearing masks in their busineses that the temper tantrum anti mask crowd will be present. Some of them turned into Karens and one real estate agent in FL was fired by his employer when he acted out while shopping on his day off.

Last edited:

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Even pre covid, I've seen fellow guests take their frustrations out on service workers in a number of industries. Some feel that the louder they yell and get the attention of their supervisor, they may get some compensation in return.
That's the American way (sadly)

Married5Times

Um posting real info showing the claim masks are not common in Japan is false? How so?
another one who spouts but has never been in Japan........or if on the off chance has been then is either lying or sorely failed to notice masked vs unmasked Japanese and the percentages prior to 2020; or those who are feel less than great on a given day who wear out of courtesy, nothing more, nothing less.

go ahead and bring forth another slanted, agenda based article to try and justify........they are fun reads.

correcaminos

I’ve worked with Covid for nearly 3 years now, and I haven’t caught it yet (knock on wood,) I credit all of the things I changed including masks, masks decrease the amount of Covid you are exposed to when near a contagious person, as we know know Covid is dose dependent. They either prevent you from getting the disease, or cause your disease to be more minor then it might have been. They do not replace vaccines, but they are the next best thing when going out in public and now that we are facing a varient which the vaccine only lowers your chances of symptomatic infection by 20-40% (60% boosted) which I believe is the current estimates are, I’ll gladly take the extra precautions.
Masking is no longer mandated in many areas of my state. Not shocking that flu levels are considered high in our state. I've seen higher for efficacy as well than you. Like 70-80% for at least a couple months.

I credit mostly vaccines, mask wearing, hand washing and a bit of luck these last 2 years (feels longer than 3 though). I'll keep at it all as necessary

Last edited:

JoeCamel

another one who spouts but has never been in Japan........or if on the off chance has been then is either lying or sorely failed to notice masked vs unmasked Japanese and the percentages prior to 2020; or those who are feel less than great on a given day who wear out of courtesy, nothing more, nothing less.

go ahead and bring forth another slanted, agenda based article to try and justify........they are fun reads.
Sure the Foreign Ministry of Japan is slanted with an agenda.

From the article
"Since ancient times, Japan is home to a culture of being considerate of other people around oneself and placing importance on cooperation. These defining characteristics of the Japanese people reinforced their awareness so as to avoid causing trouble to others around them, and this may have made it easier for masks to come into extensive use."

Last edited by a moderator:

Joesixtoe

Good point, I sometimes think about the workers in the OR when I get frustrated with wearing the mask.

Dranth

I hate masks as much as anyone, especially for kids, but I don't understand people who don't have common courtesy for service workers. The cashier at Satuli Canteen or my flight attendant might hate them just as much as I do, but their boss says they have to wear them and they have to make sure I do too. I'm not going to be a jerk and make their job more difficult.
Exactly. If you are asked to do it at a place of business, do it.

What exactly do people gain by throwing a tantrum because they voluntarily and knowingly went to a place that requires them? Why rant and rave when an employee, who also has to wear them, asks someone to follow the rules that person already agreed to before walking through the door?

Even the people who don’t flip out but just quietly keep taking it off over and over every time a CM turns their back. Why? Why make the CMs have to keep telling you? Why make their job worse? Why not have, or at least show, a little respect for the people that are busting their humps to make your day the best it can be regardless of the circumstances? Think it is bad having to put a mask on for 30 minutes at a time indoors? Imagine being the person who has to wrangle all the belligerent or purposely difficult jerks who parade through those lines all day.

No one is saying people have to like it. Hell, go ahead and file a polite complaint at guest services letting them know you would prefer the policy be dropped. Just don’t make everyone else’s life more difficult because you don’t want to follow the rules you already agreed to follow.

bdearl41

What is the over/under on mask in mid June?
If omicron falls off the cliff like other nations have seen I wouldn’t be surprised if masks are gone by April 1. Even my most scared friends who wear a mask everywhere are at the point of what the heck am I doing. This isn’t stopping the virus anymore. Let’s just move on. I think Disney is aware of this changing population mentality. Many more people are ready to drop masks than keep them. In the end consumers will force the change.

Last edited:

Trauma

I wasn't entirely just talking about you. Though you just told them to leave the country, which is harsh.
I didn’t tell them to leave the country. They are pounding the drum of masking forever.

They posted an article showing how it was cultural norm in another part of the world. If that is what they desire it’s easier to move then it is to change an entire culture.

I only want them to be happy and comfortable in their environment. Plus Japan does have the worlds greatest Disney park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom