News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas998

But as a private company, they can require whatever they want whenever, correct? I think Disney will be following CDC guidelines (to cover their own tails) vs. local decisions.
They can do as the please, but I don't see how it would in any way be covering their own tails... The reality is if you or I get covid there is no way we would ever be able to say we got it from X or Y. And once the mask mandates were eliminated in Florida you could just as easily have contracted the virus in a Wal-mart or Chick-Fil-a as you could in a monorail.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Daily numbers are absolutely meaningless. It is only trends over time that matter.

Also, masks are not coming back at Disney. I know, I know -- "you can't know that for sure." I would go to Vegas and bet $1,000 on it right now. Unless (a) the government reinstates a mask requirement (which, in Florida, is a statistically zero chance) or (b) there is a major brand new variant that evades all vaccine protection and causes huge jumps in hospitalizations and deaths, there is no chance Walt Disney World reinstates its mask rules.

The John Hopkins data does show a small jump in the 7-day average...

1649516742627.png

Tom P.

View attachment 631917
Understood and I'm not suggesting that we are never again going to see a rise in cases. Just that day-to-day numbers are not a good metric for basing any sort of decision on. There are so many factors that can go into a particular day's cases being higher or lower. Trends are much better.

Then again, I agree with the CDC that case counts are not a good indicator of Covid risk anymore. I think hospitalizations and deaths should be the main metrics used. Which is precisely what the CDC has done with their updated map. Now that vaccinations and therapeutics are widely available, I just don't think case rates are that relevant anymore.

Anyway, that's veering off topic a bit, which is the likelihood that Disney brings back masks. I just don't see Walt Disney World doing it at any time in the foreseeable future. And certainly not based on the small blip in cases that the graph you posted is showing. I think it would take a major change in the Covid situation to bring them back. Even if we get a surge in the Fall like some are predicting, I still don't think they come back. I think it would take something very serious and unforeseen to cause that.

correcaminos

View attachment 631917
Theirs looks worse than others I see but even looking this is a small jump. Zooming in it looks not as bad too. Might be time differences in getting reports not sure but their 7 day average for yesterday is higher than I've seen. Maybe the backlog that some get don't help. No matter this is not a huge jump.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I check John Hopkins daily cases…that’s what I keep my eyes on. Waited since this started to go back and enjoy a mask free WDW vacation. I’m close….leave Thursday.

I know things are rising nationally and since we have no way of knowing which indicators Disney uses to add or lift restrictions it’s a guessing game as to if a bump in cases will be enough case for them to reimpose indoor masks.

I wish I knew but I don’t. They dropped them in February of this year when #’s were higher than last July when they told everyone to mask back up. Their logic makes no sense. And it’s hard to plan a mask free vacation when you don’t know. It’s a crap shoot and you have to plan then pray things don’t turn

That’s what I’m concerned over and it irks me a great deal. Hopefully we’ll be able to enjoy our trip without the threat of them bringing them back

Stressing over something like this totally defeats the purpose of taking a vacation. Relax, you will enjoy your trip no matter what happens.

correcaminos

Stressing over something like this totally defeats the purpose of taking a vacation. Relax, you will enjoy your trip no matter what happens.
MTE!

Looking into it. JH just reports even if backlogged where others try to spread the cases where they really were from. So they'll show anomalies faster.

Tom P.

I understand your point, but I disagree. Not that the poster should stop stressing. I think they should because I don't think masks are coming back. But the "you will enjoy your trip no matter what happens" is not necessarily true.

I will not set foot in a theme park if masks are required at any point. Even on transportation. I have not been to Walt Disney World since Covid began and will not go back until masks are 100% gone. And, yes, having to wear a mask would prevent me from enjoying my vacation. I know, I know, "it's just a piece of cloth." Doesn't matter. I'm not saying everyone else should be the same as me. Heaven help you if you are, in fact. :) But for me, personally, a vacation with a mask is a no-go.

correcaminos

I understand your point, but I disagree. Not that the poster should stop stressing. I think they should because I don't think masks are coming back. But the "you will enjoy your trip no matter what happens" is not necessarily true.

I will not set foot in a theme park if masks are required at any point. Even on transportation. I have not been to Walt Disney World since Covid began and will not go back until masks are 100% gone. And, yes, having to wear a mask would prevent me from enjoying my vacation. I know, I know, "it's just a piece of cloth." Doesn't matter. I'm not saying everyone else should be the same as me. Heaven help you if you are, in fact. :) But for me, personally, a vacation with a mask is a no-go.
You realize you don't need to use public transportation there right? Ferries from TTC do not require so you could actually go if you wanted ;)

Tom P.

You realize you don't need to use public transportation there right? Ferries from TTC do not require so you could actually go if you wanted ;)
I suppose that's true. Our normal practice has been to stay on-property at a value or moderate resort and use buses and monorails as our primary methods of transportation. We basically park our car and don't move it except in the rare occasion of going off-property, such as going to church.

Heelz2315

I’m ok wearing them in the plane/airport down there. But I agree with Tom….I’m not going and have to wear one in the parks or anywhere inside on property. That’s what I’m desperately trying to avoid. As far as the monorail or buses, I’m using the ferry and I’ve rented a car to get around those areas .

correcaminos

I drove everywhere I went at WDW last month and didn’t wear a mask for the entire trip.
I could have driven if I wanted to. We chose to monorail at times but came where mask mandates had just dropped off days before we left so we were good with it and had plenty in our stash.

I suppose that's true. Our normal practice has been to stay on-property at a value or moderate resort and use buses and monorails as our primary methods of transportation. We basically park our car and don't move it except in the rare occasion of going off-property, such as going to church.
I'm a bad kid and skip church for vacation. I sing though and taking a week off can be good. I drove because I looked at the bus wait time and noped on out of there. Buses are my least favorite form of travel. We did use monorails willingly but as I said our city mandate dropped days before we left so wasn't a big deal. They had masks at the stations too. We flew too. Did not wear going to MK (took the boat or ferry from Polynesian) and drove to DHS. But we easily could have just driven everywhere. As time has gone on my patience with buses wanes. So I tend to drive more.

We have a tour scheduled for June and would be nice if we could drop for van rides. Not holding my breath but it isn't too hard to avoid wearing there.

correcaminos

I’m ok wearing them in the plane/airport down there. But I agree with Tom….I’m not going and have to wear one in the parks or anywhere inside on property. That’s what I’m desperately trying to avoid. As far as the monorail or buses, I’m using the ferry and I’ve rented a car to get around those areas .
You won't be wearing one next week. Seriously enjoy your vacation! When I went average cases were higher than now. Relax. What you saw on JH was a data dump for some places along with mild upticks we expected and honestly it makes their 7 day averages jumpy. It's going to be fine.

Last edited:

SingleRider

Premium Member
The main concern I have is that if CA has another mandate in the future, would Disney also reinstate them in WDW considering they dropped them when CA did in February?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

If someone feels as you do, then they should probably cancel their trip until things are more certain. I would still have a great time at Disney if I had to wear a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom