News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Does that mean I have to give back my cape? After all, I just got done seeing Batman...

From the videos I've seen, it's good to know that 100% of the people at WDW right now are vaccinated. Not a mask in sight!
I'm here now. On a bus. 100% are masked. I saw masks in every line. Even people outside. Most of the time I'd say less than 5% but not always. Double masked people too.

JAB

Does that mean I have to give back my cape?
1647375224804.png

bdearl41

The way I understand might be old and outdated.

You make a high level of antibodies after the vaccine, booster or infection. After a few months, the antibodies start to diminish, but you have memory cells that should help you fight off severe illness and death. I always thought that was the goal.

It sure feels like the goalpost has shifted dramatically to just reduce the amount of infection totals. If the goal is to raise the antibody counts every few months, boosters are going to be needed on a quarterly basis. That's simply not sustainable in my opinion.
The issue is and has never been antibodies. The memory T cells and B cells is what leads to the body being able to fight the virus. That’s the reason we take antibodies for infections. It’s not a cure it’s a therapeutic. The T cell and B cell response is why Covid will continue to diminish in our world.

Lilofan

People need to stop acting like they get a medal for being vaccinated.

The overall hospitalization rate for Covid is 2.1%. So 97.9% of people who get Covid don't get hospitalized.

You aren't a superhero because you got Covid and stayed out of the hospital.

I'd say the superheroes are friends and family that are surgeons, RNs, etc all working in the hospital system. The med assist staff who clean, prep, are superheroes too. Med staff have been pleading on camera for more to get vaccinated to improve over stressed hospital system. I've seen it with my own eyes when I had to go through emergency surgery and when I stayed with loved ones in ER and then moved to other parts of the hospital.

OG Runner

Cool!
We'll be there next week, and I want to ride in that thing.
My wife won't - I know that for sure - but my son's and I will.

Note, if you are staying at Caribbean Beach Resort, the Skyliner is the only way to get
to EPCOT and Disney Studios. The resort does not offer bus service to those parks.

OG Runner

Except in the early morning or late evening.

Not when I was there in January. At each of the bus stops it notes the time for the buses to Magic Kingdom and
Animal Kingdom. For EPCOT and Disney Studios it says take the Skyliner. I would have appreciated any bus option.
I really am not great with heights and don't do well at times the Skyliner stops or really slows down over the highway.

G00fyDad

Not when I was there in January. At each of the bus stops it notes the time for the buses to Magic Kingdom and
Animal Kingdom. For EPCOT and Disney Studios it says take the Skyliner. I would have appreciated any bus option.
I really am not great with heights and don't do well at times the Skyliner stops or really slows down over the highway.

They may have changed it. I saw a sign in a video for the Skyliner on YouTube from someone staying at CB who taped the sign at the bus stop that said the bes service is currently only running during peak hours in the morning and the evening and for people to use the Skyliner. Either way, that sucks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The issue is and has never been antibodies. The memory T cells and B cells is what leads to the body being able to fight the virus. That’s the reason we take antibodies for infections. It’s not a cure it’s a therapeutic. The T cell and B cell response is why Covid will continue to diminish in our world.

I don't believe this is correct. Antibodies are what fights the virus. The antibodies produced during an infection eventually disappear, but the B-cells remember the virus and can create new antibodies if you are infected again. T-cells help the B-cells do this and can also kill infected cells.

ToTBellHop

I don't believe this is correct. Antibodies are what fights the virus. The antibodies produced during an infection eventually disappear, but the B-cells remember the virus and can create new antibodies if you are infected again. T-cells help the B-cells do this and can also kill infected cells.
There are T-lymphocytes, B-lymphocytes, and macrophages. Both T and B cells have memory cells after infection that can recognize an abnormal cell when it appears again. One type of T cell is cytotoxic (“killer T cells”) and can kill a virus-infected cell or cancerous cell, but it needs to find the cell first. This is not trivial when you have millions of infected cells. T cells appear earlier in an infection but are less successful than B cells. B cells mass produce antibody, which will basically tag a specific abnormal cell kind of like when we tag trees for removal in a construction site. Macrophages then come in and kill any antibody-tagged cell (this is what creates issues in autoimmune diseases--once a cell is tagged, it will be killed, even if that is not what should be happening). Because tons of antibody can be produced and sent into body fluids, antibody can tag abnormal cells for destruction very quickly. And once they are tagged, they are killed.

So, B cells are more successful at ending infection but they take longer to develop the ability to do so. Therefore, in practice, we rely on T cells earlier in an infection.

In the absence of memory cells, the latent period between exposure and mounting an immune response is longer because immune cells have never seen the abnormal cell before. This is why unvaccinated people often have more severe illness: while the immune system is taking several extra days to respond, they are getting sicker.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There are T-lymphocytes, B-lymphocytes, and macrophages. Both T and B cells have memory cells after infection that can recognize an abnormal cell when it appears again. One type of T cell is cytotoxic (“killer T cells”) and can kill a virus-infected cell or cancerous cell, but it needs to find the cell first. This is not trivial when you have millions of infected cells. T cells appear earlier in an infection but are less successful than B cells. B cells mass produce antibody, which will basically tag a specific abnormal cell kind of like when we tag trees for removal in a construction site. Macrophages then come in and kill any antibody-tagged cell (this is what creates issues in autoimmune diseases--once a cell is tagged, it will be killed, even if that is not what should be happening). Because tons of antibody can be produced and sent into body fluids, antibody can tag abnormal cells for destruction very quickly. And once they are tagged, they are killed.

So, B cells are more successful at ending infection but they take longer to develop the ability to do so. Therefore, in practice, we rely on T cells earlier in an infection.

In the absence of memory cells, the latent period between exposure and mounting an immune response is longer because immune cells have never seen the abnormal cell before. This is why unvaccinated people often have more severe illness: while the immune system is taking several extra days to respond, they are getting sicker.

Once you are infected and recovered you still have antibodies in your blood which I assume would give you the fastest response to a new infection?

ToTBellHop

Once you are infected and recovered you still have antibodies in your blood which I assume would give you the fastest response to a new infection?
Antibody levels remain elevated for a couple months and then fall dramatically. After that, we rely on memory cells.

But, yes, during the couple months after infection, circulating antibody generates strong immunity which is why reinfection from the same variant during that time interval is exceptionally-rare (thus the 90-day permission to act like you are vaccinated on cruise ships and the like). A mutated variant will have different surface markers that your T/B cells and (if present) antibodies may not recognize. The expectation is that stealth omicron is similar enough to omicron that some sort of immune response is likely for those who caught omicron.

Joesixtoe

Antibody levels remain elevated for a couple months and then fall dramatically. After that, we rely on memory cells.

But, yes, during the couple months after infection, circulating antibody generates strong immunity which is why reinfection from the same variant during that time interval is exceptionally-rare (thus the 90-day permission to act like you are vaccinated on cruise ships and the like). A mutated variant will have different surface markers that your T/B cells and (if present) antibodies may not recognize. The expectation is that stealth omicron is similar enough to omicron that some sort of immune response is likely for those who caught omicron.
I won't get into it, but natural immunity antibodies have been shown to last atleast 4 times longer than the 3 months you proposed. I know someone who had 15 times more antibodies than I, despite having been infected about 10 months earlier.

ABQ

What's the latest on requirements aboard boat transport? Outside of the launches, which had no requirement for a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom