News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Posts by Eric Topol here should be banned as misinformation. He is a horrible source, one of the worst fearmongers out there. He cherry picks data to make things look as bad as humanly possibly.

I don't know Eric Topol, but the graphs he posted are accurate, UK and Europe are seeing an increase in cases, and the US pretty reliably follows the pattern of the UK, just delayed a few weeks.

Heelz2315

Hopefully we’ll have a bump and not a huge wave. Besides doesn’t the mask guidance go with hospitalizations now? As long as they don’t go crazy (esp in Orange co as pertains to WDW) hopefully masks and a lot of mitigation’s wk t return

Tom P.

Gottliebs hinting at it as well.

Hinting at what? Gottlieb agrees that we are likely to see a small spike in cases due to the BA.2 variant, the dropping of mitigation measures, etc. I think we all knew that and should have expected it. But he also clearly says that he doesn't think will be the start of a new surge and that the downward decline should resume into Summer.

I don't know Eric Topol, but the graphs he posted are accurate, UK and Europe are seeing an increase in cases, and the US pretty reliably follows the pattern of the UK, just delayed a few weeks.
I'm not suggesting that the graph itself is falsified or anything like that. Merely that he takes selective data points and uses them justify the worst possible conclusion in order to continue his fearmongering. Look, Covid is likely to spike again. We may be just weeks behind the UK on that point. But so far, the UK's spike is minor. And we knew that future spikes were to be expected. But that doesn't mean we're getting ready to start another wave or that we need to panic. There's no evidence yet to suggest that anything seriously bad is getting ready to happen. And lots of reasons to think it's not. As Gottlieb says, we're likely to see just a small spike and then a continuing decline.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Hinting at what? Gottlieb agrees that we are likely to see a small spike in cases due to the BA.2 variant, the dropping of mitigation measures, etc. I think we all knew that and should have expected it. But he also clearly says that he doesn't think will be the start of a new surge and that the downward decline should resume into Summer.

I'm not suggesting that the graph itself is falsified or anything like that. Merely that he takes selective data points and uses them justify the worst possible conclusion in order to continue his fearmongering. Look, Covid is likely to spike again. We may be just weeks behind the UK on that point. But so far, the UK's spike is minor. And we knew that future spikes were to be expected. But that doesn't mean we're getting ready to start another wave or that we need to panic. There's no evidence yet to suggest that anything seriously bad is getting ready to happen. And lots of reasons to think it's not. As Gottlieb says, we're likely to see just a small spike and then a continuing decline.
Let's see how new surge causes this fall and winter by end of the year if new variant is getting worse than Delta and Omicron. We're screwed for this fall/winter.

correcaminos

I’m tempted to go ahead and cancel my april trip. 15-20

Stop following him! Seriously!
No we have not with omicron at all really

ToTBellHop

Basically, the thought is that we are now entering an endemic phase where we can expect spread to wax and wane like other respiratory illnesses. That does not mean the sky will fall but we should certainly anticipate that, at some point in the next 6 months, we will be asked to get another Covid shot.

Other than that, no one really knows what will happen. Basic math modeling would suggest our high rate of spread from omicron (CDC estimates 45% of Americans got omicron) along with pretty strong protection it generates against stealth omicron (especially severe outcomes) should prevent any immediate, significant peak here. But, covid has shown it doesn’t really care about our math or models. We should certainly expect some sort of bump and waste water Covid levels are already increasing in 1/3 of sites in America.

So we wait. A vaccine toward September is probably going to be necessary to top off immunity.

I do worry about China. They did not get enough uptake of strong vaccines there and their zero-tolerance policy has left almost no naturally-acquired immunity. Conditions are perfect for omicron or its subvariant to spread at incredibly high levels there. And that can create variants.

It has become increasingly clear that most of us will get Covid but vaccination can prevent severe outcomes. A nation trying to completely block spread is an exercise in futility.

Anyone care to explain this to China? Perhaps Bob Chapek can do the explaining as he certainly is worried due to his predecessors building so much in Asia.

As for masking, given the math mentioned above, I don’t personally expect masking to be required until fall, and even that is questionable. Just my opinion though. It seems most nations are moving on to the “living with Covid” phase where vaccination and treatments will be the emphasis while testing and masking drop off. Simply put, more and more countries find the economic and social impacts to be unacceptable when we have effective vaccines and treatments. We see this in Europe. Cases are rising while restrictions continue to be removed.

The only thing I see reversing that is some sort of crazy variant. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. But stealth omicron isn’t a crazy variant.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Basically, the thought is that we are now entering an endemic phase where we can expect spread to wax and wane like other respiratory illnesses. That does not mean the sky will fall but we should certainly anticipate that, at some point in the next 6 months, we will be asked to get another Covid shot.

Other than that, no one really knows what will happen. Basic math modeling would suggest our high rate of spread from omicron (CDC estimates 45% of Americans got omicron) along with pretty strong protection it generates against stealth omicron (especially severe outcomes) should prevent any immediate, significant peak here. But, covid has shown it doesn’t really care about our math or models. We should certainly expect some sort of bump and waste water Covid levels are already increasing in 1/3 of sites in America.

So we wait. A vaccine toward September is probably going to be necessary to top off immunity.

I do worry about China. They did not get enough uptake of strong vaccines there and their zero-tolerance policy has left almost no naturally-acquired immunity. Conditions are perfect for omicron or its subvariant to spread at incredibly high levels there. And that can create variants.

It has become increasingly clear that most of us will get Covid but vaccination can prevent severe outcomes. A nation trying to completely block spread is an exercise in futility.

Anyone care to explain this to China? Perhaps Bob Chapek can do the explaining as he certainly is worried due to his predecessors building so much in Asia.

As for masking, given the math mentioned above, I don’t personally expect masking to be required until fall, and even that is questionable. Just my opinion though. It seems most nations are moving on to the “living with Covid” phase where vaccination and treatments will be the emphasis while testing and masking drop off. Simply put, more and more countries find the economic and social impacts to be unacceptable when we have effective vaccines and treatments. We see this in Europe. Cases are rising while restrictions continue to be removed.

The only thing I see reversing that is some sort of crazy variant. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. But stealth omicron isn’t a crazy variant.
I'm scared of this new variants, I won't wear mask forever.....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No we have not with omicron at all really

Not sure what you mean by that, US omicron spike was about two weeks after the UK's

1647348608793.png

ToTBellHop

44% of vaccinated people though. So in reality it's even lower then that. Below flu shot levels. Anyways, the point is, I wouldn't be expecting it to provide any population level effects.
It still mitigates because immunity wanes over time. Giving that 44% stronger immunity leading into any potential surge does relieve strain on healthcare.

I agree with you that I shake my head a bit when I read “we really need to vaccinate more people.” We do, but it’s not gonna happen.

All of that is why I’m skeptical of mask mandates returning. We are reaching the point where the situation is the situation and people aren’t going to change. So, we just have to live with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom