Rumor Disney Looking To Trade The Theme Park Rights of Alien with Universal in exchange for Black Panther to Build a Wakanda Pavillion at Epcot

rioriz

I can confirm that Wakanda has been thought of for Epcot and is indeed a top runner for the park after Brazil. I’ve not heard ANYTHING at all about the company trading any rights for it, especially anything regarding Alien.

I I take it that you are not joking. I can't see them building wakanda without a black panther presence. However wakanda in itself has fascinating views and being able to experience it in person maybe attractive enough. I wonder if Disney can use the secondary characters like shuri

mhaftman7

I just don’t think Wakanda fits in EPCOT. Animal Kingdom? Maybe, but if they are going for Marvel properties, one would think they are going for them all and a fifth park would be developed for 2023.

Bocabear

If they are going to add Wakanda as a country, I would think it would be time to just completely change the entire park identity...do away with the whole charade of countries and just make them attraction areas...and then eventually someone will wonder why Disney copied Universal and did a giant version of the Islands Of Adventure park...but with fewer attractions.

Spike-in-Berlin

I hope this is a sick joke. Placing a ride from a fictitious nordic country into the Norwegian pavilion was already quite a deviation from the World Showcase concept but building an entire pavilion about some FICTITIOUS COUNTRY from a movie is nothing less than degeneration. But I am quite sure that's the kind of rumor which come right behind bus Drivers concerning credibility.

rioriz

They have exclusivity to the theme park rights east of the Mississippi, do Disney cannot use Black Panther in WDW.

However can they use Wakanda? If so I think it's entirely possible they build it even wo the character of BP. They'll just use the secondary characters like Okoye to drive the narrative. One thing I know it's it'll be immersive af. After seeing the theaters reaction to Shuri comparing to BP, not so sure it won't be successful... Also won't put it past a D23 announcement even if it never happens

fngoofy

Universal doesn't own IP rights to Black Panther. End of story.
Yes they do. From what I understand the Black Panther is displayed as a flat cutout in the queue for one of their attractions. Unless they cease to use it or fail to keep it maintained to the standards of the agreement, they have the rights.

danheaton

I heard Jim Hill brought up the Wakanda rumor a while back, and it's always been weird to me. I doubt that Disney wants to just keep having people ask where Blank Panther is. Also, that rumor was for Wonders of Life, which is now getting the Play Pavilion. I could see it happening at some point down the road if Universal and Disney make a deal, but without Black Panther, it seems odd.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
However can they use Wakanda? If so I think it's entirely possible they build it even wo the character of BP. They'll just use the secondary characters like Okoye to drive the narrative. One thing I know it's it'll be immersive af. After seeing the theaters reaction to Shuri comparing to BP, not so sure it won't be successful... Also won't put it past a D23 announcement even if it never happens

The language of the contract talks about use of characters, so they may be able to get away with using Wakanda if they don't use the characters.

Yes they do. From what I understand the Black Panther is displayed as a flat cutout in the queue for one of their attractions. Unless they cease to use it or fail to keep it maintained to the standards of the agreement, they have the rights.

The cutout isn't enough to give them the rights to Black Panther, but his connection to the Avengers and Fantastic Four are.

fngoofy

The language of the contract talks about use of characters, so they may be able to get away with using Wakanda if they don't use the characters.

The cutout isn't enough to give them the rights to Black Panther, but his connection to the Avengers and Fantastic Four are.
Yes, but to keep those rights they must execute on them. Hence the plywood cutout in a mural of supers. If they took that down and did nothing with the IP, they would lose access to it. Pretty sure.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes, but to keep those rights they must execute on them. Hence the plywood cutout in a mural of supers. If they took that down and did nothing with the IP, they would lose access to it. Pretty sure.

No, there is nothing in the contract that says that. As long as they are using a member of the characters family, they have the rights to all the characters in the family.

FrankLapidus

I think this will go the same way as the ToT/GotG rumours.

There are stupid ideas, then there is building a theme park land without the rights to feature the character that that land is based on. I can believe Chapek is stupid enough to encourage such inane ideas, it would just never work without the character.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom