Disney looking at using Nintendo DS systems as an interactive guide map?

MacRtst

I wonder if I should bring my DS when I go next month??? It would be cool if it had all the same functions as Pal Mickey. Giving wait times (which it does) and give interesting park facts. Then in the future actually make and ADR on the fly. (at least see what's available. This could really go far.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I wonder if I should bring my DS when I go next month??? It would be cool if it had all the same functions as Pal Mickey. Giving wait times (which it does) and give interesting park facts. Then in the future actually make and ADR on the fly. (at least see what's available. This could really go far.

Yep it could go a long long way. Disney have been itching to do this for years. It's come up time and time again in various different formats. With the boom in handheld devices, and the complexities for the guests (dining reservations, fastpass, wait times), it just seems the perfect time for Disney to get this going.

scpergj

Interesting...and as a true Geek, I love the use of the technology

BUT

why do it? I already see many young teen types walking around the parks with either their cel phone held to their ear and a hand over the other, or with ipod earbuds in their ears (no idea why...). Why have kids carry yet another gadget? But, I guess there's enough already doing it...

Kevin

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting...and as a true Geek, I love the use of the technology

BUT

why do it? I already see many young teen types walking around the parks with either their cel phone held to their ear and a hand over the other, or with ipod earbuds in their ears (no idea why...). Why have kids carry yet another gadget? But, I guess there's enough already doing it...

Kevin

Agreed, it's more to lug around. It could also be the case that disney are looking to just deploy this system to several devices, and the DS is the one that has currently surfaced. I think with the market penetration of Windows Mobile and other WiFi smartphones, they have to be considering those as well.

JCorduroy

Sounds like a technological branch to something Nintendo did this year at Seattle Mariners games with the DS. If you went into SAFECO Field and downloaded into the flash memory (which deletes once the DS was turned off) a certain program, you would get a live box score and stats for the game.

I can easily see the same type of program being available at a DS Download station within the parks, giving a full map of the current park you're in and allowing for touching of hot spots to give information on certain attractions. I hope they do it!!

TOTGuy

That is so funny. I was at MK and saw tons of CMs using DS's. I wanted to ask them what was up because they looked so entertained. Sounds like good things are to come!

JCorduroy

Agreed, it's more to lug around. It could also be the case that disney are looking to just deploy this system to several devices, and the DS is the one that has currently surfaced. I think with the market penetration of Windows Mobile and other WiFi smartphones, they have to be considering those as well.

The DS Lite doesn't really weigh all that much and it's fairly compact, so I don't see it as being too big of a deal. I bring my DS Phat (original design) to the parks when I go to have something to do while in a long line - especially if it's a queue I've seen a million times and I'm by myself, and it doesn't bother me at all. I've traded Pokemon with a 10 year old from Portland Oregon while eating lunch outside of Casey's on Main street. :)

However, I think your point is correct with Smartphones, I'd like to see the technology go there as well.

Figment1986

Nintendo DS is fairly popular with the younger generations... that and it would give them a chance to make deals with nintendo for a Disney World Dream DS to be sold on property, and given out to VIPs in a package...

Laura

Premium Member
I love this idea even though I don't have a DS.

I think it'd be more beneficial though to make a wi-fi based system as that's the direction so many devices seem to be heading. (plus I wanna see wait times on my iphone!)

JimboJones123

First of all Genius -- DS Wi-Fi rocks.

Second of all -- does this affect the KP thing at all, or will the KP go Wi-Fi DS too... that would be sweet and have MILLIONS playing. Next up -- Imoprt Magic Kingdom Racing with Chip and Dale on DS!!! Me loves some Disney Kong Racing.

scpergj

Now the windows mobile and smartphone part I understand...and the DS is a WiFi gadget, so it kind of makes sense. Guess I'm going to have to carry my son's DS, too (he'll want to bring it, and loose interest in 20 minutes)

IcicleM

they will be testing the DS system on January 14th through the 25th. I am at work now and I saw it on the magic kingdom schedule

WDWFREAK53

I can see this moving into the iPhone/iPod Touch very easily.

Think about it...Steve Jobs...and Disney. They're already one and the same.

Disney already has an exclusive iPhone website (basically their "mobile" site but prettier and uses the touch function much better).

I too think that the DS is just a stepping stone. It's a system that has pretty much locked the market with the kids. Most kids on vacation bring it along with them. Bam, there you go. A lot of people that have their units on them that are from the same manufacturer, the same hardware, the same technology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom