Disney launch 'Limited Time Magic' for Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort in 2013

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sorry, but I do not see problem one with this. The Limited Time Magic events that they described in the blog were cute, but absolutely nothing that I would plan a trip around. Maybe it is just me, but I do not see your average family of 4 throwing down on a WDW trip because the Dapper Dan's will be singing NSYNC songs. If you like the Limited Time Magic event that is occurring during your trip, great, bonus. If not, just do what you would normally do. Not everything Disney does needs to be a blockbuster event.

wannab@dis

When I first saw this announced, it appeared to me to be something geared for locals. If the one week announcement is accurate, then I think it's even more apparent this will bring in locals and spur some AP purchases so they can see more than one event any time during the year. I'm sure CMs will "talk it up" when people check-in about what's happening that week, but I don't think anyone will be planning extended visits based on these events.

drew81

Sorry, but I do not see problem one with this. The Limited Time Magic events that they described in the blog were cute, but absolutely nothing that I would plan a trip around. Maybe it is just me, but I do not see your average family of 4 throwing down on a WDW trip because the Dapper Dan's will be singing NSYNC songs. If you like the Limited Time Magic event that is occurring during your trip, great, bonus. If not, just do what you would normally do. Not everything Disney does needs to be a blockbuster event.

There were some character fans that came to WDW just for Pixar weekend last year(to see the special characters). I was one of them.

Skooterkid

Only die-hard Disney fans would plan their trips around the limited time magic schedule, but a little more notice would be nice. I'll be working at Disney World in June and I'd like to know what's going to be happening while I'm there just to add to the list of exciting things to look forward to... I for one would love to be reunited with some Long Lost Friends!

Animaniac93-98

As someone who would prefer to go to DLR next year when the GHR returns, this is not helpful at all.

However, I'm hoping the details for these events will be "leaked" online by our resident insiders long before the "official" announcement.

I think I'm safe...I'll be there for Valentine's Day. I'm assuming that something "Princess-y" will be going on that week.

According to the first press release the Princes will be out with their spouses during the week Valenties Day happens (a Thursday this year, so I'm guessing the 11th to the 15th). I think special merch will (surprise!) also be available.

drew81

As someone who would prefer to go to DLR next year when the GHR returns, this is not helpful at all.

However, I'm hoping the details for these events will be "leaked" online be our resident insiders long before the "official" announcement.

Or maybe they'll realize they need to release the info and go ahead and do it. One can hope :)

Soarin' Over Pgh

(I've been reading this forum for almost a year now, finally created an account, this is my first time actually posting!)

I'm hoping something interesting is going on the second week of May... I'm planning a trip to WDW then. It seems like the company doesn't have a set schedule or even a solid idea on what they'll be pushing out week by week.

First visit to WDW, hope it's worth it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There were some character fans that came to WDW just for Pixar weekend last year(to see the special characters). I was one of them.
Not to be rude, but so what? Someone (the stress on the one) will always show up just for a special event no matter how trivial or small. I know a number of people that would fly in just to see Off Kilter do an hour set. It does not meant that Disney is going to base an entire promotion around that possibility.This promotion is there to attract some locals and plus the trips of people already traveling.

I swear, the mouse can not win. So many people complain that nothing in WDW is spontaneous anymore. You have to plan meals 180 days out, you need to reserve your room a year out, character meet n greets are an assembly line, blah, blah, blah....Disney finally does something somewhat spontaneous and people are complaining that you can't book it 6 months in advance. /end rant

Bolt

Not to be rude, but so what? Someone (the stress on the one) will always show up just for a special event no matter how trivial or small. I know a number of people that would fly in just to see Off Kilter do an hour set. It does not meant that Disney is going to base an entire promotion around that.This promotion is there to attract some locals and plus the trips of people already traveling.

I swear, the mouse can not win. So many people complain that nothing in WDW is spontaneous anymore. You have to plan meals 180 days out, you need to reserve your room a year out, character meet n greets are an assembly line, blah, blah, blah....Disney finally does something somewhat spontaneous and people are complaining that you can't book it 6 months in advance. /end rant

Agreed. Also - you can't show all your cards to your competitor either.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess it depends in how long things run... I mean not everyone can even get off work on such short notice.

If the events don't actually attract any additional guests because of low notice... Why bother doing it at all?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I guess it depends in how long things run... I mean not everyone can even get off work on such short notice.

If the events don't actually attract any additional guests because of low notice... Why bother doing it at all?
Ultimately, I think that will decide if things like this happen again, but who knows. Maybe Disney is starting to do things again simply because it is fun and not requiring everything to have a hard core ROI. I for one would be all for that.

wannab@dis

Isn't that true of any event they do? If they didn't get ROI, do you think they would still be doing Star Wars Weekends, Food & Wine, Flower & Garden, Halloween and Christmas parties? I have a feeling they will gauge the response to each week through hard numbers and response in social media. The top ones will probably be done again in the future, maybe even expanded for a longer period and more extravagant. Could even think of this as 52 weeks of focus groups.

Bolt

I don't see that as having too many motives, rather, the company has annual campaign budgets and is shifting Let the Memories Begin funds to something else.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Isn't that true of any event they do? If they didn't get ROI, do you think they would still be doing Star Wars Weekends, Food & Wine, Flower & Garden, Halloween and Christmas parties?

All of which have plenty of notice and frequency so that those that want to get there to see it.. can.

If they only give a week's notice, and it only runs for a week.. your numbers are going to suffer. It could be the most desirable thing, but your numbers may not reflect that due to simple constraints on people. But if it runs for say.. a month. The one week notice means people have 5-6 weeks to figure out to go see it if they care to.

If you make it impossible to come see.. less people are going to see it, even if they wanted to. Success for any event is dependent on people 'knowing' and 'able' to participate. Short notice hurts that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom