Disney launch 'Limited Time Magic' for Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort in 2013

Dasnowz

sorry if this was added already. don't have time to go back and read.

there is a website www.limitedtimemagic.com that will have/ has more information. One thing I read says there will be something announced each week. It will be from entertainment to come culinary treat to a keepsake to a special encounter. Each thing will be limited and vary in length. First announcement is due out Dec. 28.

dreamfinder

Do we have any idea if the events will at least run into the next one? So that there is at least one limited time "thing" going on each day so that guests can see something different? Or will it be even more limited in that you may be there for a whole week, and only get to see 1 limited "thing".

Dasnowz

wording i have seen says "going away just as the next magical happening appears". this can be interpreted many ways. one way is that one ends and the next begins or they may overlap each other by a little bit. but it sounds like ( interpretations here) that there should be something most of the time. but like it says it can be something such as a merchandise item or food.

AndyS2992

Not really sure why people here are getting so worked up about men/women in old plastic costumes o_O

It is nostalgic but nothing to pee your pants about lol

Next Big Thing

This isn't deferring upkeep, etc. This is putting out marketing and then shooting yourself in the foot so it has no chance of working. It's more John Carter.. not Splash Mountain.
But it's not hurting anything either. It may not attract a ton of extra people to the park, but it's still going to be something that will provide some surprise entertainment offerings on a weekly basis. It's not taking away from anything, therefore, I have no problem with it. It's better than their last few campaigns ("Give a Day, Get A Day" and "Let the memories begin"...GaDGaD ended in March of it's year and LtMB has offered nothing besides a leap day celebration).

Pumbaa1222

Not to be rude, but so what? Someone (the stress on the one) will always show up just for a special event no matter how trivial or small. I know a number of people that would fly in just to see Off Kilter do an hour set. It does not meant that Disney is going to base an entire promotion around that possibility.This promotion is there to attract some locals and plus the trips of people already traveling.

I swear, the mouse can not win. So many people complain that nothing in WDW is spontaneous anymore. You have to plan meals 180 days out, you need to reserve your room a year out, character meet n greets are an assembly line, blah, blah, blah....Disney finally does something somewhat spontaneous and people are complaining that you can't book it 6 months in advance. /end rant

This is exactly it! I just returned for WDW and while I read this forum daily, I didn't really believe the hype that WDW was deteriorating. But when I was there, I distinctly noticed a "lack of magic" I think this new promotion is great, not for over the top fanboys, but for average guests just attending the parks, gives them a little something extra that they weren't expecting! This is just an added Magic, and it doesn't cost TDO very much at all. I'm not sure why people are complaining about it, other than the need to complain, seems like this is a win win for everyone, unless you miss it, and isn't that the point? It should be surprise magic!

Patricia Melton

Does everyone here know what "jump the shark" means? I think Disney's marketing department jumped the shark with "Limited Time Magic" as a concept...it is probably the dumbest marketing name I've ever heard for anything.

I have to stop and read it a few times to understand what they are talking about, for one thing. It can be read as either:

* limited TIME magic...as in, this is magic for you if you have limited time in the parks to spend and so this is magic for people who will only be in the park for like an hour or two...

* LIMITED time magic...as in, it's limited for some reason...so there used to be more of it, but now it's in short supply and is being rationed...

* limited TIME MAGIC...as in, this is some kind of time-traveling magic that can maybe take you back to be there on opening day in the park

All of them seem strange to me.

And nothing about this name makes me really want to take part in it. This thing just gives my brain a negative vibe...I really think the "limited" is the word that bothers me the most and makes me want to stay away from it.
Bad job by the marketing department. They must be listening to the MBAs again who think things like this up at retreats in break-out sessions.

Patricia Melton

Thanks. It's hard to hear reports of mainantence issues on such a large scale when I'm planning my first trip- that I've been saving for, for a few years! However, I'm still excited to go. Even if I die on Splash Mountain.

You need to always remember that there is a contingent of people on Disney forums who wake up each morning with a desire and need to badmouth the parks. They are a Chorus of Malcontents. If you read what most of these people say for any length of time, you will also find that almost all of them are very big fans of Universal and think that park can do no wrong (while simultaneously overlooking all of that park's many, many flaws).

So, there's an agenda from these people...even if some of them might not even realize they are doing pushing the agenda. They love Universal...and instead of just hanging out on a Universal forum and singing that parks praises, they instead decide to badmouth Disney as much as possible.

I think they secretly believe that if they do this enough, then they'll get some people to skip Disney and instead go to Universal.

lazyboy97o

You need to always remember that there is a contingent of people on Disney forums who wake up each morning with a desire and need to badmouth the parks. They are a Chorus of Malcontents. If you read what most of these people say for any length of time, you will also find that almost all of them are very big fans of Universal and think that park can do no wrong (while simultaneously overlooking all of that park's many, many flaws).

So, there's an agenda from these people...even if some of them might not even realize they are doing pushing the agenda. They love Universal...and instead of just hanging out on a Universal forum and singing that parks praises, they instead decide to badmouth Disney as much as possible.

I think they secretly believe that if they do this enough, then they'll get some people to skip Disney and instead go to Universal.
And what do these people gain by more people going to Universal Orlando Resort? Are they on payroll? Hoping Universal will start giving more freebies to loyal followers like Disney? Or is it simply impossible for people to be fans of themed entertainment?

Nemo14

Does everyone here know what "jump the shark" means? I think Disney's marketing department jumped the shark with "Limited Time Magic" as a concept...it is probably the dumbest marketing name I've ever heard for anything.

I have to stop and read it a few times to understand what they are talking about, for one thing. It can be read as either:

* limited TIME magic...as in, this is magic for you if you have limited time in the parks to spend and so this is magic for people who will only be in the park for like an hour or two...

* LIMITED time magic...as in, it's limited for some reason...so there used to be more of it, but now it's in short supply and is being rationed...

* limited TIME MAGIC...as in, this is some kind of time-traveling magic that can maybe take you back to be there on opening day in the park

All of them seem strange to me.

And nothing about this name makes me really want to take part in it. This thing just gives my brain a negative vibe...I really think the "limited" is the word that bothers me the most and makes me want to stay away from it.
Bad job by the marketing department. They must be listening to the MBAs again who think things like this up at retreats in break-out sessions.

They probably like Universal too.....
biggrin.gif

Californian Elitist

No, not really. If what people are saying is true, why is it bad? The truth is the light, let it shine all over the world, including this site. People state the negatives about the resort because they love the place so much, and it hurts to see the place they love run straight into the ground.

Why can't we be Disney fans and Universal fans? Were you not just talking about how impressed you are with Potter at Universal? Get over yourself. It's people like you that keep the resort in the place it's currently in. People need to stop defending the company and management when they're clearly doing wrong.

Nemo14

Or perhaps they love Walt Disney World enough to not want to see it deteriorate.....just sayin'
wink.gif

Patricia Melton

Sorry, but I do not see problem one with this. The Limited Time Magic events that they described in the blog were cute, but absolutely nothing that I would plan a trip around. Maybe it is just me, but I do not see your average family of 4 throwing down on a WDW trip because the Dapper Dan's will be singing NSYNC songs. If you like the Limited Time Magic event that is occurring during your trip, great, bonus. If not, just do what you would normally do. Not everything Disney does needs to be a blockbuster event.

I think you are 90% right with this.

The one point I disagree with is that there are a few things that might tempt me to try to do a special trip down just to experience.

One of them is having the Disney princes out with the princesses. My family happens to collect photos with the princesses...but we don't really have any with the princes. I think we have Prince Eric, Aladdin, and Naveen. We've never gotten a pic with Snow White and her Prince, Sleeping Beauty and her Prince, etc. We've also never met Flynn/Eugene.

So, that Valentine's Day "limited time magic" sure is tempting...but I don't think I can get my whole family down there for that and I feel guilty if just me and my husband would shoot down there for something. WDW is always a family trip for us and it's weird if my son and daughter can't fly down and meet us there too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom