Disney Labor Shortage

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
You forgot small and mid sized towns that have those brick apts 50-60 years old. You may not be aware.😉

As a nearly lifelong Floridian, I am keenly aware.

And most of those 50-60 year old brick apartments are nowhere near the areas where CM's tend to live, and are priced beyond what those CM's can reasonably afford (1/3 of take home) even at $15/hr.

SteveAZee

So roughly 22% of the current? In a state with 1850 miles of coastline…

how many where in Orlando?
Just working off the term 'nothing'.

My first visit was in 1968, and there was a lot of 'stuff' and people, at least in the Daytona area (and I assume Miami) as far as people and homes and things to do.

I don't know about Orlando first hand. You didn't mention Orlando in your post. Orlando != Florida.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just working off the term 'nothing'.

My first visit was in 1968, and there was a lot of 'stuff' and people, at least in the Daytona area (and I assume Miami) as far as people and homes and things to do.

I don't know about Orlando first hand. You didn't mention Orlando in your post. Orlando != Florida.
I was guilty of approximating

very famously…there were about 50,000 residents and a half completed interstate in the Orlando area when Walt had his press conference.

my reason for jumping on this is someone is deluding themselves about the labor/living characteristics of Orlando…making northern comparisons and telling shoes they’ve never walked in what to do.
Geeked for vacay…me thinks

Lilofan

I was guilty of approximating

very famously…there were about 50,000 residents and a half completed interstate in the Orlando area when Walt had his press conference.

my reason for jumping on this is someone is deluding themselves about the labor/living characteristics of Orlando…making northern comparisons and telling shoes they’ve never walked in what to do.
Geeked for vacay…me thinks
You must be having an issue about labor/ living items in the City Beautiful and ridiculing others but that's ok.

Lilofan

No, the challenge for Disney now is that Orlando has experienced explosive growth in the last 10-15 years.... and basically none of that has been affordable housing for people that might want to work at Disney for $15-$17 an hour starting wage and a $1000 signing bonus.

We've seen huge numbers of condos, vacation rentals, hotels, and 'luxury' apartments, but not a lot of affordable apartments and definitely not many affordable single-family homes or townhomes. Meanwhile, existing apartment complexes have been bought up by these giant apartment rental companies that ratchet up rent 8-10% year over year.

All this while the existing workforce has either found other opportunities (as others have mentioned) or moved out of the area completely. I would actually guess that a large reason for the delay in entertainment coming back is because of the need for those entertainment Cast Members to continue their roles in merch and F&B around the resort.
You think landlords and apts owners didn't see an opportunity? Business 101, wages go up , apt rents go up. Rents unfortunately go up faster than wages.

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member
You think landlords and apts owners didn't see an opportunity? Business 101, wages go up , apt rents go up. Rents unfortunately go up faster than wages.

Wages are part of the consideration, absolutely, but just a small part. Housing prices are in Florida's largely unregulated market driven primarily by supply/demand.

Right now, tenants across Florida's main 4 metro areas (Miami/South FL, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville) have been competing against remote workers who have NYC/LA/SF/DC-wage jobs and can afford to offer above asking, or pay a full lease up-front, which been a much larger factor in the increase in housing costs than wages going up.

That's great for landlords, not so great though when your main industry requires lots of low wage labor.

Lilofan

Wages are part of the consideration, absolutely, but just a small part. Housing prices are in Florida's largely unregulated market driven primarily by supply/demand.

Right now, tenants across Florida's main 4 metro areas (Miami/South FL, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville) have been competing against remote workers who have NYC/LA/SF/DC-wage jobs and can afford to offer above asking, or pay a full lease up-front, which been a much larger factor in the increase in housing costs than wages going up.
That's excellent points you brought up, some east coast and west coast workers still making EC and WC salaries living in lower COL FL.

mkt

Premium Member
That's excellent points you brought up, some east coast and west coast workers still making EC and WC salaries living in lower COL FL.
(I added another point, you should refresh). Anyway, I invite you to go to any tag agency in Florida and count the NY/CA/DC-area plates there. They'll far outnumber any other plates.

As they keep coming though, Florida won't remain low-COL for much longer. I'm already paying the same in rent in a residential neighborhood within Miami's city limits than I would in Northern Virginia literally a 20 minute walk into DC.

Lilofan

(I added another point, you should refresh). Anyway, I invite you to go to any tag agency in Florida and count the NY/CA/DC-area plates there. They'll far outnumber any other plates.

As they keep coming though, Florida won't remain low-COL for much longer. I'm already paying the same in rent in a residential neighborhood within Miami's city limits than I would in Northern Virginia literally a 20 minute walk into DC.
It is not just FL but also TX. A forum member lives in Austin TX who posted his house increased 6x in value. One can thank the influx of CA residents moving to TX , a cheaper COL state compared to overpriced CA, while also driving the TX real estate values up and rents. The name for some of the new residents in Austin are called "Austinfornians". But you've got year round beach weather compared to wintry dreary DC and NoVa . You are correct, with people and their monies coming to FL, its not cheap anymore to live in FL.

Last edited:

Lilofan

CPs are absolutely getting milked dry rn and are self-terming at super high rates. Because Flamingo Crossing is so god damn expensive - a friend of mine says she brought home $40 last week. A “good” week is $140. How the hell are you supposed to live on that? Not to mention save? You can’t.
Isn't rent around $100 a week per person sharing the apt with several other cast? Are their hours being cut?

Lora Baines Bradley

Cheaper than a college dorm!
Perhaps, but when you literally can’t get a second job because you’ll get termed, how are you supposed to survive? I couldn’t afford living in my dorm now because i’m a full time student with a 24hr/week part time job, but I can use financial aid and defer my payments. Much different IMO.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

There are no labor shortages, anywhere.
There are PAY shortages, everywhere :(.

Consider what would happen if every CM got $100 per hour. Clearly silly, but now? We are just arguing about the price.

Nubs70

There are no labor shortages, anywhere.
There are PAY shortages, everywhere :(.

Consider what would happen if every CM got $100 per hour. Clearly silly, but now? We are just arguing about the price.
What would happen?

If labor input increases 7x, prices will increase at least 7x to maintain expected margin level. Prices will increase proportionally to maintain PPP (Purchasing Power Parity)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom