Disney Labor Shortage

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
They still seem to be giving out the child tax credit checks, though. I absolutely do not need them, but I received one in the mail again just last week.
And I don't need it, but I get credits in my bank account each month. But then again, the amount is not nearly enough to affect whether I want to work or not, as it such a small percentage of what I earn....which is why I don't need it. From a government spending standpoint, I think the child tax credits probably should be phased out at much lower income levels than they are. That wouldn't help the labor crunch in lower wage jobs, though.

Phasing out the child tax credit entirely would likely send some people back into the work force, I agree. But there really have to be far better policy changes that the government can make than pulling $300/month from those who are struggling to make ends meet so that they will be more willing to take a low-wage job so that we can have better service when we visit theme parks, restaurants and stores.

Heppenheimer

And I don't need it, but I get credits in my bank account each month. But then again, the amount is not nearly enough to affect whether I want to work or not, as it such a small percentage of what I earn....which is why I don't need it. From a government spending standpoint, I think the child tax credits probably should be phased out at much lower income levels than they are. That wouldn't help the labor crunch in lower wage jobs, though.

Phasing out the child tax credit entirely would likely send some people back into the work force, I agree. But there really have to be far better policy changes that the government can make than pulling $300/month from those who are struggling to make ends meet so that they will be more willing to take a low-wage job so that we can have better service when we visit theme parks, restaurants and stores.
Either way, I don't think this credit should be permanent. The conditions that may have justified it in the first place have long-since resolved.

And it was never justified for my income bracket to begin with.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Either way, I don't think this credit should be permanent. The conditions that may have justified it in the first place have long-since resolved.

And it was never justified for my income bracket to begin with.
This credit should not be permanent as it was put in place to deal with the pandemic, and I don't think good policy comes from making permanent changes to address temporary problems.

That being said, I would likely support a policy that says something like "Children are the future of the county, and parents who raise them are doing the country a service, for which we should be happy to contribute to the cost of." $3,000 per year (I think that's the approximate amount of the current credit) for 18 years is $54,000. I think society, on average, gets more than $54,000 in benefit from every person, so I'd be OK with contributing my part of that. That would be an argument, of course, for such a credit in good times and bad.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm confused by this tax credit tangent... and talk about if it should be around/continued.

This credit has been around for a long time. The difference is they increased it and paid out 50% of it proactively. It's not new, just a vehicle they used to pump money into people's pockets now.

Heppenheimer

I'm confused by this tax credit tangent... and talk about if it should be around/continued.

This credit has been around for a long time. The difference is they increased it and paid out 50% of it proactively. It's not new, just a vehicle they used to pump money into people's pockets now.
What's new is that we're directly getting checks in the mail now, rather than just a credit we fill out when we do our taxes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What's new is that we're directly getting checks in the mail now, rather than just a credit we fill out when we do our taxes.

Sure, but it's just an advance... it's not really all that materially significant to the economy or money in the market. It would be most useful for the low income folks or folks who live more month to month. If anything maybe it would put the money to good living uses instead of 'tax refund splurge!'

Heppenheimer

Speaking of the original topic, I see the Dept. of Labor's jobs report for the month of October showed the sector with the largest employment gain to be Leisure and Hospitality:

I wonder how many of those 164K went to work for one of the Disney resorts? Anyone have an idea in numbers where Disney World's job vacancies currently stand?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Among the 278 job postings for Disney Orlando...

1639194247163.png

John park hopper

I was being sarcastic but the 5 top executives of Disney their combined total compensation is well over 60 million. Board members make well over a quarter of a million each. If Disney is willing to pay that ---good for
them

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom