Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

tikiman

Original Poster
Trader Sams will be a stellar addition. I don't see why everyone needs to lose their minds on the rest until work is revealed.

I just hope they make it bigger than the DL version. You can hardly get inside it and the outdoor seating has people stalking tables all night. If the Polynesian one is the same size they will have people staking the seats in the morning and leaving their towel on them to hold their place.

I will be there tomorrow so whish me luck on getting a seat inside.

71jason

I just hope they make it bigger than the DL version. You can hardly get inside it and the outdoor seating has people stalking tables all night. If the Polynesian one is the same size they will have people staking the seats in the morning and leaving their towel on them to hold their place.

I will be there tomorrow so whish me luck on getting a seat inside.

This is a real issue. Orlando is not Anaheim. Even at the Poly rather than DTD, Trader Sams will be overrun with fanbois. But if you make it too big, then you ruin everything about it that makes it cool in the first place.

michmousefan

This is a real issue. Orlando is not Anaheim. Even at the Poly rather than DTD, Trader Sams will be overrun with fanbois. But if you make it too big, then you ruin everything about it that makes it cool in the first place.
Agreed. I've only been once to Trader Sam's -- and loved it, but it was later in the evening... about 11... and still rather busy, but with adults mostly. We wondered at the time how many families are there at earlier hours. I'm concerned that the WDW version will be overrun with families with little kids wanting to see the effects in the room when certain drinks are ordered, that sort of thing. Perhaps they will keep it restricted to those of drinking age, but I doubt that will happen. The temptation will be to expand the menu (and the size of the place) so that there is "something for everyone" and the uniqueness of the place will newer have a chance.

Maybe I shouldn't be worried. If they can keep the ambience similar to Crew's Cup over at YCR, it will likely be fine. That's still one of my favorite places to get a drink at WDW.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Do the same thing they did for Mickey... multiple rooms that are not so obvious that there is multiple rooms. Or put another way... how a restaurant may have multiple dining rooms instead of one large one... each can be their own variant.. etc.

Scuttle

image.jpg
image.jpg

Scuttle

Another view from the other side. It's really more shocking up close as you realize when they finish, half of Hawaii will be blocked. And we won't go into the whole Sunset Point issue. Let alone the continuous daily pounding as they sink the pilings for the piers.View attachment 43529
WDW is losing it's 'magic' it's been a continual process over the past few years. It's so blatantly obvious they are so money hungry and could really care less what the guest experience is like. I saw some things today that we're disturbing (maintenance issues). And yes I'm sure someone will come to TDOs defense and say something about all the tarps everywhere and refurb happening, but for every tarp there is something twice as bad.

FYI watch out for that giant wasps nest on the castle wall.

Scuttle

Oh and call it prejudice if you want, but if I'm running a private business I'm cutting off the Brazilians. They lack basic manners and are really a burden on everyone that's there. Go ahead blast me for saying it, but it's true.

Sorry to the Brazilians that are nice and treat others while in other countries with respect, but I don't see much of that.

jlsHouston

Ahhhh..I am so glad I got to stay at the POLY twice before this all started. I agree with everyone who says the POLY has needed pool expansion, hot tubs, some refurbs. I will never forget my granddaughter holding her little simba disney baby as we were getting out of the the car that first visit and entering the lobby saying "Simba welcome to Honolulu", so I hope the changes to the lobby are enhancements and expansion keeping with the Polynesian theming.

Scuttle

The GCH was something completely unique and beautiful, TDO has shown recently that they do not care for unique and beautiful, GCH lobby will probably look something like BLT lobby with flagstones instead of faux marble for flooring perhaps a few Tiki elements but it will be designed so it's CHEAP to maintain and install DVC kiosks and merchandise carts on every available square foot.

Greatest damage Disney under Iger has done is to train us to expect cheap and nasty instead of Amazing, FLE could have been been amazing instead its a hot barren expanse with a underwhelming omnimover ride as its centerpiece.
Underwhelming is being nice. I rode today and the ride is downright awful. The show issues are so many I can't even keep track.

disney4life2008

Can we get some confirmation of water not flowing in Poly lobby???

I went to Ohana Tuesday night- water is flowing and the waterfalls are active both in lobby and outside on monorail side. There was a dry/humid/mildew smell (as others have said) on the lower level (away from the restaurants). I will say that I was less than impressed with the overall feel and look of the Polynesian this time around.

Scuttle

I went to Ohana Tuesday night- water is flowing and the waterfalls are active both in lobby and outside on monorail side. There was a dry/humid/mildew smell (as others have said) on the lower level (away from the restaurants). I will say that I was less than impressed with the overall feel and look of the Polynesian this time around.
I was to, the loss of the gift store actually took some ambiance out of the lobby. I did notice the smell wasn't as strong as usual.

disney4life2008

I was to, the loss of the gift store actually took some ambiance out of the lobby. I did notice the smell wasn't as strong as usual.

I think that is also what is possibly lacking. I am in no way a Poly Expert - but for some reason during my visit - something just seemed off. I remember when there was this tropical smell and everything just seemed so grand - I really felt like I was in the seas. Now I have a feeling that Poly is just another resort with in your face cheapened themes. I was not impressed. Needlesstosay, I would not spend the money it costs to stay here.

Scuttle

I think that is also what is possibly lacking. I am in no way a Poly Expert - but for some reason during my visit - something just seemed off. I remember when there was this tropical smell and everything just seemed so grand - I really felt like I was in the seas. Now I have a feeling that Poly is just another resort with in your face cheapened themes. I was not impressed. Needlesstosay, I would not spend the money it costs to stay here.
I agree it's not worth it. Wilderness lodge is a much better value IMO.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Trader Sams will be a stellar addition. I don't see why everyone needs to lose their minds on the rest until work is revealed.

Trader Sams will be a TDO disaster, it will be 20 times larger and the only thing it will have in common with the 'Real' Trader Sam's will be the name and the drink effects and the Lifestylers will lap it up and say its the greatest ever. Part of what makes the original great IS the intimate nature of the place.

I think most of the lifestylers if served a dish of dog poo by Disney at event would call it chocolate mousse...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom