Disney is going to price us out of the Kingdom..

Trackmaster

The BEST way to control crowds would be to create more space - - more expansions - - perhaps a 5th gate.
Not loading already crowded parks with more rides, the MK will be absolutely catastrophically nuts when TRON gets up and running.

Epcot with 2 news rides will now also be wild - - - - - I remember when frozen opened - my snoozer park was jammed with people. Spaceship Earth was a 60 mins wait.....Prior to this it was never more than 15 mins for SPE.

Come on WDW - - - - - expand the other parks as well.

I think it would help some, but as people are saying, even though you'd be decreasing the slice of the pie, you'd be increasing the size of the with the fifth gate... AKA you'd be bringing more guests in with the fifth gate. And it would probably be a lot of meet and greets, and not a lot of E-Tickets. Another problem is that people would just stay a day longer and through that park into the rotation, and it wouldn't be more than a half day park.

As I was before, I like the idea of putting in more hours, especially inconvenient, hard to get to hours. You'd still have your out of control lines, but at least then Disney could say: "Well, you talk about how you hate lines... well here you go, no lines. Don't complete about lines when we have some ghost town hours." And that's the biggest benefit of a fifth gate. With more park options, the likelihood of catching a day when its the least crowded park increases. But I think that they should only bother if they're going to make it legit with E-Tickets and not just meet and greets with one or two major rides only.

Trackmaster

The bigger issue is the lack of C or D tickets that people actually want to do. Hollywood Studios has lots of fairly high capacity shows that should be a C ticket type level, but a lot of people have already seen the shows. E-tickets generally attract more people to the park so make the overcrowding worse, but smaller attractions and shows give people something to do while waiting for the next Fast Pass

I think that the Disney's brand and reputation bring all of the guests. They could put in a bunch of carnival rides and Disney would still get legions of people compared to most parks. E-Tickets are just icing on the cake. But I agree that more C/D tickets and stuff that you stumble upon would keep people occupied while they wait for their FP+ window to open.

Trackmaster

They did this, After Hours is $140 per person.

Its like $125, $90 with an AP. Honestly, I don't see why people complain about the cost. Its the same as a one day ticket, and you get much more done in those five hours then you could ever hope to get done in 12 hours at a park. And you're not waiting in lines for 12 hours. Plus, you get free popcorn, ice cream, soda and bottled water. And.... you get on the outdoor rides with rare nighttime hours under the lights.

Its nice for the APs as you get that discount and you never get EMH. Its nice for people who don't go often and are passing through Orlando and not staying onsite. Its nice for locals who don't care enough for an AP but might go once every few years. Its only really unnecessary and not even worth considering unless you're a sucker if you're a hotel guest on a multi-day ticket.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But that would actually be effective if it were truly "sans" Disney but folks who dissatisfied continue to go and continue to kvetch about how horrible the company is being run. go figure.. what is one definition of insanity?? doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Generalize much? You have many people here telling you just the opposite.

I for one have changed. We’ve been on dcl almost exclusively since 2009. Last summer was the first time anyone but me in my family has been to wdw since 2009. And the wife is eyeing dcl again... not wdw.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
There is no way a 5th gate would increase attendance that much.
You are dreaming.......the cost to go now is astronomical.
Look at attendace figures over the last 5 years. The growth is in the single digits.

A 5th gate will bring people,yes.
But not 10mil.
Disney's HS was the lowest attended park at WDW, and still had over 11,250,000 people last year. And many people think that's only a half day park! I have no idea why you think a 5th gate wouldn't bring in at least another 10,000,000 - if done right as I said before. Considering that the estimates peg WDW attendance at well over 50,000,000 total last year, do you really want to add millions more??

crispy

Are we priced out financially? No. Do we feel the cost justifies the experience? No to that, too.

We used to visit at least once a year for 6-8 days, and we have cut that back dramatically in the last 5 years. Instead of complaining, I have tried to vote with my wallet. This year we visited Universal for the first time (planned to go other years, but ended up cancelling) and didn't step foot in a Disney park. I was worried that we wouldn't have enough to do in the six days we were there, but we had an absolute blast. The rides were excellent, and the lines felt manageable. We stayed at Cabana Bay (which is the resort that Pop Century could have been - absolutely fantastic!) and were able to book a suite for the price of a regular room at one of the Disney value resorts.

I haven't bought an AP to WDW in many years because the value just isn't there any more plus I would be forced to spend all of my vacation dollars and time at WDW which I don't want to do. We love amusement parks in general and will often buy an annual pass to a smaller park each year because you can usually break even after two or three days in the park. We have visited Hershey Park, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, SeaWorld, Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, and Holiday World and know that we can have an amazing experience at any of them without breaking the bank.

I have a lot of nostalgia for WDW, but when it comes down to it, it is a one-way relationship. Disney is a business that doesn't care about me or my thoughts on the state of their theme parks. If any relationship isn't working for me any more, I can choose to be filled with resentment or reframe the relationship all together. I have chosen the latter with WDW. My family will still visit the WDW when it works for us, and we will also visit other wonderful places throughout the world (the real one). WDW is awesome but so is the Grand Canyon, the Great Smoky Mountains, the Badlands of South Dakota, and Yellowstone.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Both Ellen's Energy Adventure and the Great Movie Ride were old dated attractions that needed replacing. Yes it would be great if Mickey's Railroad went elsewhere as well as another GMR replacement, but it would still need replacing. Same with Ellen, that attraction was way past its best before date and needed a replacement. The replacements are probably on time, but they should have been adding to the parks 10 years ago when things were slow, ready for when they picked up.
Biggest issue in Hollywood Studios park though is the old shows, there are three live shows that all need replacing and that is why you were probably bored, you didn't want to do the shows. Replace the shows and add an extra filler ride or two (small things like Dumbo-scale) and the park would be getting much better.

Note I said they should have revamped UoE. That's a great facility because it's a high capacity ride and you get to sit and relax for more than a few minutes. It's nice to have those experiences, especially on busy days, to complement the thrill rides. Now, instead of an old-school lengthy attraction, we'll have another thrill ride that we stand in line for 60 minutes for, and ride for 5.

That's why I wish they'd kept the ride system and developed a new show around it, and put Guardians somewhere else.

Same with Great Movie Ride, although I didn't think it was as dated as UoE by a long shot.

danyoung56

I would agree with you, but as I see it, that's not the case.

I don't disagree with most of the points you make, but that isn't the issue. Yes, Disney has made some short-sighted decisions, and overall the quality of the place is down from what it used to be. But the crowds are still huge, and the only weapons to fight this are either expand or raise prices.

Raineman

I see many people in this thread stating that they are cutting back or ending their trips to WDW. This type of action, as a message to Disney, will only be effective if the majority of visitors who have visited more than once take the same action. If it is just the diehards that cannot afford the trips that stop giving their $ to WDW, then that will be a fairly small drop in the bucket overall, as the majority of park visitors are either first timers, non-regular visitors, locals or diehards/regulars who still don't mind the $ they spend on a WDW vacation. Even word-of-mouth from the dissatisfied customers passed on to possible first timers will not have much of an effect, as I imagine most people who want to go but have never gone will want to see for themselves instead of basing their trip decision on someone saying "it's too expensive, too crowded, I wouldn't go if I were you." It would take a massive decrease in attendance, IMO, to send that message to Disney, ie 40-50% decrease in attendance over a short period of time, but, based on the reasons above, so I can't see it happening any time soon. There are outside factors that have affected attendance in the past-a depressed economy, decline in tourism due to world events (9-11)-but those can be random and cannot be counted on to provide reduced crowds and reduced theme park gate revenue. Would I like to see the end of upwards-spiraling costs and better park experiences? Absolutely, but the stark reality is that it will not happen, barring an extreme shift in corporate philosophy or theme park gate revenue. Whether you think what Disney is doing is right or not, this is the situation in hand, and, while not impossible, enacting change will be extremely difficult.

carnini

Hate to add to this thread and agree with so many people about the increases, which sure dont mirror rate of inflation :)
I am glad I took my kids this past year but it will probably be our last visit even though we use to go each year. Its just getting to expensive, even though we love the Disney experience and their Cast Members do give amazing service.
I can see us popping over to Epcot for Dapper day or something.
I dont want to bring up Universal as that park is different in my mind but their Buy 2 days get 3 days free tickets, well that sure gets the per day way down if I was just looking for somewhere to go during the cold weather.

Disneyismylife

I feel the same way. We are middle class however have money to vacation. We go to Disney every year, sometimes twice a year and have been doing this since 2014. Just booked our 2020 vacation and this one hurt, more than all the others! We were able to go to Disney twice in one year for what this trip is going to cost us. I wish I could see the value of going every year however it's hard when they aren't really adding or changing much. They are going to make so much money off of Star Wars land it's hard to see why they increased the prices to what they are now.
I understand the frustration with the price increases, but you can’t say “they aren’t really adding or changing much” They’ve been constantly adding and changing for the last few years and so much more is currently in the works!

NickMaio

I think they should have kept GMR because it was part of the parks origin. There is plenty of room to put Mickey and Minnie somewhere else. Universe was dated and completely irrelevant.

Gutting the parks iconic ride was a poor move in my opinion.

Would they gut and remove Pirates / Small world / Haunted mansion - - - I seriously doubt it.

GMR could have easily been plussed with Dis Ip <Ya I know> and other movies.

Keeping nostalgia for some fan is still a great emotional hook to those that remember when MGM Studios had only 2 attractions.
My family loved it until the end - - - A fun cool down that was part of the Parks theme.
What is the theme of this new park?????? IP FOREVERLAND!!!

Hollywood studios really does not make a lick of sense any more - - change the name already!

flynnibus

Premium Member
It would take a massive decrease in attendance, IMO, to send that message to Disney, ie 40-50% decrease in attendance over a short period of time, but, based on the reasons above, so I can't see it happening any time soon.

It already does happen. Disney just has tools to combat it. They offer discounts and promos to counter those who negative things in the audience that WANTS to go, but has hesitations. So they can fight back the smaller movements with candy lures. The problem is when they keep reducing the experience... that will catch up with them and isn't as easily 'countered' as pricing is.

TLDR: pricing is fluid so it's one of the easier pain points to manage and drive demand with.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I understand the frustration with the price increases, but you can’t say “they aren’t really adding or changing much” They’ve been constantly adding and changing for the last few years and so much more is currently in the works!

After a long period of stagnation. They are still behind the curve of being fresh

Daddyoh

I have been reading all the POSTS and have to agree, the $$$$$GRAB will be the WDW downfall. The Annual Pass increase is uncalled for, and as folks have said with Star Wars opening the $$$$$ will be rolling in regardless. Over crowded parks will certainly be a deciding factor as DVC members as to if we ourselves don't go back to our two year plan we had pre DVC. Frankly, we throughly enjoy ourselves when we visit but lately it's not that much FUN anymore, between all the seeming never ending construction and walls, the more inebriated patrons that you come across and the rising costs, just doesn't make it our "HAPPY PLACE" anymore. Hopefully, once the Anniversary celebrations conclude things will go back to normal or at least somewhat normal. Well we will see, we will be visiting in August and again in December and by then our future with WDW will be determined.

Kaelsma

Prices were raised the night before we were going to buy 10 day passes from Undercover Tourist and then convert them to APs a couple of weeks later. Fortunately, I was able to get APs at the pre-increase price through AAA. Whew!

Raineman

Once the Disney bubble bursts it will happen.
They are pushing everything into the danger zone and it's only a matter of time before it breaks down and there is a correction.
Agreed, but I'm not convinced that it will happen in the near future. The only massive shift I could see happening in the near future would be a result of a sharp decline in the world economy, or WDW being sold and licensed to another corporation (even that is doubtful-WDW is such a cash cow for Disney, and the new owner may not be any different than WDW in regards to costing/show quality/operations even if it was sold).

flynnibus

Premium Member
OK, we will definitely have to disagree. so personally I think the opposite, I think if folks who are dissatisfied stop giving them their money it would be way more effective than "speaking it into the atmosphere".

You literally are in a thread where dozens of posters have outlined how that is exactly what they are doing. Reducing and changing how they are spending with Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom