Disney is going to price us out of the Kingdom..

Trackmaster

I’ve read through all of this and have to afk: has anyone considered that WDW views AP holders as the “problem”?

I say this because they aren’t (usually the target family they want) let alone the demands as mentioned in this thread and others.

I don’t have access to Disney’s data but a guess?
  1. Top 30% of income, the higher the better but my guess is 2% to 10% is their “sweet spot”
  2. Non AP holders.
  3. Staying in prem.
  4. Flying in without renting a car this keeping them dependent on Disney services to a degree.
  5. A family of four. The rooms are based on this when you think about it.
  6. At least one girl in the family, Bibiti Boniti botique anyone? (And note I’m simply talking demographics here not trying to start a fight).
  7. Staying 7-10 days.
  8. Comes on average every two years.
  9. Stays at moderates or deluded.
  10. Is fairly price insensitive (goes with the wealth equation at #1 above).
This isn’t to start a fight but simply not all consumers are created equal. That’s not mean or unfair that’s simply economic reality.

It used to be the “customer is always right!” Smart companies look at it as “the right customer is always right.”

I know some win’t/don't like that, but it is what it is.

Nah, Florida AP holders hold the most precious resource to Disney of all: votes in Florida elections and sway with the legislature. They offer the cheap APs to get Floridians OK with Disney crashing in their state, and as a deal with the legislature. They enjoy a lot of freedom and autonomy that could all go away if the government started poking into what they do.

Donal Duck

Instead of. A movie theatre selling every seat... think of it more as “did the movie theatre put extra seats everywhere to keep boosting capacity beyond what would deliver a good experience”. Because that is what Disney keeps doing... stuffing the boxes and selling a pitch of excellence of which they fall well below.

100 % 👍🏻

John park hopper

Pretty sure you’re comparing an optimized scenario verse non.

For kicks... compared a 7 day trip first week of nov. POR with parkhoppers... 2 people.. $3023
7 day eastern Caribbean cruise for same week... $34xx

(Btw... Disney website crapped out twice trying to get that por package quoted...)

My point isn’t to find the cheapest or best price... but to simply point out that quoting the “best deal” when comparing things relatively is not that useful.

DCL is expensive...but you at least get a great customer experience. That feeling left wdw 15+ years ago
Factor in on a cruise you get breakfast, lunch, and dinner and it is not quick service. Basically you can eat 24 hours a day if you choose and it is included in your cabin fee --no meal plan, no additional out of pocket expense. My last cruise there was no comparison to the food on a cruise and what you got at WDW TS---- so much better

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
You say false, then link to Disney’s financials.

What does that prove except what Disney has done? Disney does not define the law of the land.

Officers have a fiduciary DUTY to the corporation and shareholders. That is true. But how people are interpreting that is wrong.

OneofThree

What does that prove except what Disney has done? Disney does not define the law of the land.

Officers have a fiduciary DUTY to the corporation and shareholders. That is true. But how people are interpreting that is wrong.

Reality doesn't suspend itself in the face of your anecdotal ideals, and the reality here is that Disney Co. is a publicly traded firm which must necessarily navigate said environment. The ship you're implicitly referring to sailed off into the sunset long ago, for better or worse (worse, far worse, IMO). Please do us all a favor and quit with the baseless generalizations regarding business and finance and stick to what you know.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Reality doesn't suspend itself in the face of your anecdotal ideals, and the reality here is that Disney Co. is a publicly traded firm which must necessarily navigate said environment. The ship you're implicitly referring to sailed off into the sunset long ago, for better or worse (worse, far worse, IMO). Please do us all a favor and quit with the baseless generalizations regarding business and finance and stick to what you know.

Amazon was long ago?
ABC was long ago?

Countless other boards?

Truth is most are too chicken to be as bold.

And your preference does not bound reality. So when people say this is the only path - well that is wrong. Regardless of your preference

OneofThree

Amazon was long ago?

No, but that's sort of the point with Amazon. Bezos recently admitted that Amazon will fail at some point. Different life cycle from Disney Co. entirely, which has been around for decades, and will hopefully remain.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but in terms of business, finance, and economics, well . . . just talk about what you actually know. Some of us who pay for our Disney vacations through a lifelong commitment to the professions recognize exactly what you do and do not know.

Ummm. . .

fiji271

My point was that it is ironic how you are arguing against shareholder wealth by posting financials (which are used to decide how valuable a corporation is). The other points you have made have me confused. 25 years experience in Corp finance and I can assure you shareholder wealth is what keeps people like Iger awake at night.

John park hopper

My point was that it is ironic how you are arguing against shareholder wealth by posting financials (which are used to decide how valuable a corporation is). The other points you have made have me confused. 25 years experience in Corp finance and I can assure you shareholder wealth is what keeps people like Iger awake at night.
If I were making the kind of money Iger makes I'd be sleeping like a baby every night

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, but that's sort of the point with Amazon. Bezos recently admitted that Amazon will fail at some point. Different life cycle from Disney Co. entirely, which has been around for decades, and will hopefully remain.

Two points
1) the fact he ran it different proves my point... that there is more than "return wealth now" as the sole mantra that is possible. That alone validated my point.
2) his comments were not that his plan was not possible or viable, but a statement of the acknowledge of mortality of all businesses.

He stated
"If we start to focus on ourselves, instead of focusing on our customers, that will be the beginning of the end," he said. "We have to try and delay that day for as long as possible."

The entire premise was to NOT fall into the rut of self serving... as that would simply accelerate their inevitable demise.

Your Bezos cite actually supports the counter movement... not the fall in line mantra.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but in terms of business, finance, and economics, well . . . just talk about what you actually know. Some of us who pay for our Disney vacations through a lifelong commitment to the professions recognize exactly what you do and do not know.

Well look at you mr telepathic. So glad you know so much about me without a single cite to date except your repeated attempts at dictating your superiority without debunking anything. Top notch in my book. *rolleyes*

And besides there is an entire world of lifelong, successful, but mediocre financials and leaders. That's why there are disrupters and breakaways and not every business performs the same.

And the irony is we are in a community based PURELY on a man's drive to execute what he believed was beyond standing predisposition... and supported by his professional peers.

The entire empire was built on that... and more and more people simply want to focus on their portfolio instead of what the company is actually doing

Amidala

He stated
"If we start to focus on ourselves, instead of focusing on our customers, that will be the beginning of the end," he said. "We have to try and delay that day for as long as possible."

The entire premise was to NOT fall into the rut of self serving... as that would simply accelerate their inevitable demise.

Your Bezos cite actually supports the counter movement... not the fall in line mantra.

I don't think citing Amazon will ever support the case for ethical business practices. Amazon is as self-serving a company as you can possibly find, and Bezos has had plenty of practice lying about it.

disneyflush

Please pin a note to the top of the forum explaining the need to have a doctoral degree in one of "the professions" in order to post anything regarding an opinion on Disney's financial decisions with the parks. It'll weed out all the discussion and save so much time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think citing Amazon will ever support the case for ethical business practices.

And who said anything about ethics ?

The discussion was about the repeated statement that there is only one absolute objective of public companies - to return wealth now

Amazon was cited as an example of how there are different ways to execute strategies in how to build value.... and that you do not have to be a slave to returning profits (now) above all else.

chew

I wonder when they will start charging for the restrooms? Fee by the minute? Maybe a restroom annual pass.

Last edited:

bjlc57

Original Poster
well kids.. I am reading in the papers.. plural , newspapers, that the Star War's ride isn't ripping it up like the Disney bosses thought it would .. and this may be a sign of tipping.. that pricing could be "too high" .. but once you go over the top.. its a very very slippery slope to bring you back to normal.. too much for 90% of businesses.. but of course this is disney and their economics do not act like anyone else..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom