Disney is going to price us out of the Kingdom..

flynnibus

Premium Member
it might not be the only acceptable path in theory but it's the goal that this current management has decided to stalk with laser like precision.

unless you really believe in fairy tales and think that all of a sudden the company is going to do a complete 360 and change their style??

It’s not a fairytale to stop self full filling circular justifications that over state themselves.

Saying what the company is doing is NOT the same thing as saying this is the ONLY thing the company can do.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Aside from railing at the wind about the injustice of the price hikes, what will you really do about it aside from not going or going there less¿ There's a great big real world out there with lower prices to be had, why bother unless you're financially invested in the Disney company ¿
Informed customers are better shopped customers.

Remember all the people that had only been since 2008 era and said “what’s the problem?” When people pointed out shortcomings with show and offers?

It’s becoming the same thing with business practices. The brainwashing of people into “what else would you expect from a public company?” Just leads to more complacency within the customer base. Instead of customers being informed and moving in larger chunks rather than just as isolated individuals.

Disney’s armies of Facebook moms and paid TAs are going to keep preaching how great everything is... it doesn’t mean the counter point should be silenced.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Then why not advocating somewhere it would be effective ? There are of course some lurkers here, but the majority here are just those with an interest in Disney World as a vacation destination. Do you see this as the next savedisney campaign ?

Jon81uk

From a guest perspective, more capacity in the existing parks is absolutely needed. I was bored at Disney Studios earlier this year, looking for things to do while I waited for my evening Slinky Dog Fastpass. So much space in Florida, and so few offerings in that park, and they still closed The Great Movie Ride rather than find another spot to build the new Mickey Mouse attraction.

Likewise at Epcot. Why can't they build Guardians in unused space, and revamp Universe of Energy rather than close it? That was a lengthy & high capacity ride, that was a relaxing (especially on busy days), and the kind of experience Disney doesn't build anymore. Something to balance out the thrill rides that are over in five minutes.

However, it's not in Disney's best interest. They want crowds and capacity to be at that sweet spot where you need to spend a full day in any given park to experience it all. They want four days to be the minimum vacation stay. There's a reason you can only book advance Fastpasses for one park per day, and I imagine part of it is so people can't do all of the major attractions in one day.

Disney wants to maintain the illusion that WDW is bigger and needs more time to experience than Disneyland does (which has roughly the same number of attractions as WDW, packed into one convenient space where you can do it all in two or three days.

Both Ellen's Energy Adventure and the Great Movie Ride were old dated attractions that needed replacing. Yes it would be great if Mickey's Railroad went elsewhere as well as another GMR replacement, but it would still need replacing. Same with Ellen, that attraction was way past its best before date and needed a replacement. The replacements are probably on time, but they should have been adding to the parks 10 years ago when things were slow, ready for when they picked up.
Biggest issue in Hollywood Studios park though is the old shows, there are three live shows that all need replacing and that is why you were probably bored, you didn't want to do the shows. Replace the shows and add an extra filler ride or two (small things like Dumbo-scale) and the park would be getting much better.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
You are not on DIS here ;)

Then you have excelled in pointless prattle. Enjoy your life sans Disneyworld as they will continue to operate as they please unless you can influence a majority of the stockholders.

John park hopper

Aside from railing at the wind about the injustice of the price hikes, what will you really do about it aside from not going or going there less¿ There's a great big real world out there with lower prices to be had, why bother unless you're financially invested in the Disney company ¿
Exactly. We cancelled our Jan 2020 Disney reservation and switched to a Holland America 11 day cruise of the Western Caribbean. As much as I like Disney our May 2019 trip will be our last unless their prices come down. Yes it's a great big non Disney world out there.

eliza61nyc

Then you have excelled in pointless prattle. Enjoy your life sans Disneyworld as they will continue to operate as they please unless you can influence a majority of the stockholders.

View attachment 384165

But that would actually be effective if it were truly "sans" Disney but folks who dissatisfied continue to go and continue to kvetch about how horrible the company is being run. go figure.. what is one definition of insanity?? doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

It’s not a fairytale to stop self full filling circular justifications that over state themselves.

Saying what the company is doing is NOT the same thing as saying this is the ONLY thing the company can do.

lself fufilling? are you serious? flynn what do you think this is, an episode of I dream of Genie???

OK, if what you say is true why hasn't it worked?? people have been whining about Iger since he came on the scene. people have been saying what Disney could be doing since Jesus was a boy. People have been complaining about the state of Epcot since forever.
You mentioned "complacency". Complacency is pretty much continuing to support the very thing one says is greedy. doing nothing is complacency.

You honestly believe if we simply stop saying "Disney is being run like a company with stockholder profits as its primary goal" that the company will somehow metaphysically get the message and start putting customer satisfaction first??

please, please,please tell me that I am misunderstanding.

OK, we will definitely have to disagree. so personally I think the opposite, I think if folks who are dissatisfied stop giving them their money it would be way more effective than "speaking it into the atmosphere".

so let me say I honestly wish you good fortune and great trips, if that philosophy works for you. Me, I'm way more of a realist and a cynic. I believe the power of my dollar definitely carries more weight with major companies.

nothing more I can add. Pixie dust to all.

Last edited:

NickMaio

If this thread has taught me 1 thing it is this....................That WDW fans and diehard sports fans have A LOT in common.
Yes, we gripe about our park (sports team), but at the end of the day we still support them.

Just because you find fault with something does not mean that you are required to abandon all support for it?

We love WDW and want it to be the best, yes this is totally subjective. However, there is something oddly settling to find out that others in the world experienced the same WDW issues as you.

Peace y'all - I am officially done with this thread. I will go back to listening to my BGM Tomorrowland music :)

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I really do not get the logic that a 5th gate will not reduce crowds??????????????????

A WHOLE NEW theme park is created - - - giving space and options to the already clogged parks?

Why would a 5th gate not reduce crowds ????????????????
With the current price increases - - many families that went 5 years ago are being priced out. -- a 5th gate will not spike attendance enough to make a difference?
Have you ever been around MK about an hour before either Wishes or HEA starts? We have, and there are literally thousands of people streaming into the park to watch the fireworks. You add a 5th gate, and get 10,000,000 more people to visit WDW over-all, and can you imagine how many MORE are going to do that? It doesn't matter what other night time entertainment options there are (and remember that HS has TWO options between Fantasmic and the Star Wars fireworks), people will still flow over to MK.

So while a 5th gate MIGHT reduce day time crowds (though I doubt it as again, if done right, you are bringing in 10,000,000 MORE visitors to WDW, and all of them are going to want to spend at least 2 days of a week long vacation at MK), I just don't believe that it will. They aren't all going only to the 5th gate.

Jon81uk

Have you ever been around MK about an hour before either Wishes or HEA starts? We have, and there are literally thousands of people streaming into the park to watch the fireworks. You add a 5th gate, and get 10,000,000 more people to visit WDW over-all, and can you imagine how many MORE are going to do that? It doesn't matter what other night time entertainment options there are (and remember that HS has TWO options between Fantasmic and the Star Wars fireworks), people will still flow over to MK.

So while a 5th gate MIGHT reduce day time crowds (though I doubt it as again, if done right, you are bringing in 10,000,000 MORE visitors to WDW, and all of them are going to want to spend at least 2 days of a week long vacation at MK), I just don't believe that it will. They aren't all going only to the 5th gate.

This is also why they are trying to fix Rivers of Light, the more people that stay and watch a show in Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios, the better the crowding issues will be in Magic Kingdom.

Unless a 5th gate had a seriously great line up from day one that will keep people in all day, it will only make crowds worse not better, as more people will come to Orlando to visit the new park.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

This is true and its the most uncomfortable miserable time of the day because people who didnt take the time to get a decent viewing point all of the sudden show up with their kids and want to stand in the established walkway and watch the show. I dont know how many times CMs were trying to explain the concept of one way flow to people who didnt care or didnt understand English.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

Your wait time is a result of an equation.

(People who want to ride x average laps desired)/supply = wait time. Buts its a complex algorithm and is there are exponential factors. The only real that wait times exist is because demand exceeds the number of seats available. If the number of people wanting to ride multiplied by the average number of laps are less than supply, there will be walk on periods, and possibly a lot of them. When this demand exceeds supply, a deficit is create, and waits are started. As waits build up over time, it doesn't take much to start an hour or two line. A two hour line could be the result of a very small change in demand or decreased capacity.

Part of my point is the capacity plays a huge rule in wait times, not just demand. Rides, attractions, and experiences with high throughputs will result in reasonable lines. Also, rides being open when they're supposed to be, and extended hours at the park will help with lines as well. I think that a big problem with some of the parks is the move towards the legions of low capacity meet and greets, and moving away from actual E-Tickets. And the wait times are much lower at night. There's a reason they close the parks when they do, but they could give people a crack at lower lines if they opened earlier or stayed open later... But this is also what hard ticket events and EMH are for. Like the skier in South Park says "If you try to get to WDW at 11 AM and leave at 6 PM without good FP+ set up... you're gonna have a bad time." Oh yeah, it all runs through FP+ now too, so you can have a great day if you have great FP+, but you'll get eaten alive in the stand-by unless you do the hard ticket events or EMH.

I know people say... "Well it shouldn't be this day.... Walt's dream!! And I don't know what to say to those people. I say join the 21st century with the rest of us and stop talking nonsense."

Jon81uk

I think that a big problem with some of the parks is the move towards the legions of low capacity meet and greets, and moving away from actual E-Tickets.

The bigger issue is the lack of C or D tickets that people actually want to do. Hollywood Studios has lots of fairly high capacity shows that should be a C ticket type level, but a lot of people have already seen the shows. E-tickets generally attract more people to the park so make the overcrowding worse, but smaller attractions and shows give people something to do while waiting for the next Fast Pass

DisneyOutsider

Hawaii was beautiful, but it’s a different trip. Frankly, there isn’t a ton to do other than relax...which is great, but it’s not non stop entertainment. You have to largely make your own fun. The food was also very expensive and frankly, very average...I’ve only been to Maui though.

This is aside from your main point, and I agree a trip to Hawaii is expensive... but you did Maui ALL wrong if this was your impression.

NickMaio

There is no way a 5th gate would increase attendance that much.
You are dreaming.......the cost to go now is astronomical.
Look at attendace figures over the last 5 years. The growth is in the single digits.

A 5th gate will bring people,yes.
But not 10mil.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom