News Disney hints at more changes to come at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

JohnD

Because apparently some people have chosen to make up their minds that it's about an issue it isn't actually about, and given the nature of that issue clarification and pushback is warranted.
But you're the one making the points about how Pecos Bill is problematic and that Native Americans are taking offense while also conceding the point its being rethemed to tie in with Tiana. So which is it? I just think its the latter. No one knows anything about Pecos Bill. Splash is already rethemed to Tiana, a restaurateur, BTW. Makes sense to have an eatery next to her ride themed to her. "Look, here's Pecos Bill. Let's retheme that."

In the Parks
No
The mods watching this thread:
9e999341f90ecc11f693ee1ee4460f5d.gif

Might be time to move on from this discussion. We'll just have to see what happens to poor old Pecos.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Back when....we loved coming out of Country Bears straight into Pecos Bill, a few times we would time it just to eat lunch there......years ago when they had the best BURGER toppings bar with sauteed onions and mushrooms etc etc......plenty of room to find a table, indoors or up the ramp outdoors in back......since they took that burger bar out, well took away the extended items, we found other venues to lunch at last several trips. I agree Frontierland needs some theming to BE Frontierland, it seems a bit disjointed with the changes, so not sure what they have planned for cohesion but will see what will be. As for the music in the BTM queue, I sure hope they keep the Pecos Bill instrumentals.......it's classic queue music that makes me think more of a nod to Wally Boag's infamous stage show at DLR and at WDW early on, than the cartoon images depicted at the restaurant.;)

I will be greatly missing SM and the Briar Patch anyhow....sigh......hoping for a quality themed area.....:angelic:.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

For the sake of contributing something pretty exclusively on-topic, I have heard that part of the holdup in considering this retheme is that the Beyond Big Thunder plans are in flux - Disney was less concerned about closing MK's Mexican restaurant when they were considering Coco as part of that expansion, as a new and better venue for Mexican food could be opened there.

Now that Coco has seemingly moved to Animal Kingdom and the thematic menu for Beyond Big Thunder seems still very much up in the air, the conversation around restaurant programming for The Magic Kingdom is a little bit less clear. Which is part of why I suspect Pecos Bill's may stick around for a bit if they decide not to turn it into Tiana's Palace.

If Coco were coming to MK I would bet Pecos Bill's would have closed for Tiana transformation already, but since it isn't the decision of whether to lose Bill's at all isn't yet finalized, from what I understand.

Disstevefan1

With Tiana they can use character tie ins charge more for less and people will pay it. It’s a win for Disney. if they keep it counter service I can see themed sippers and more up charge items.
Assuming a change in theme would also result in a change in food offerings, I think this would bring in folks just to try the new offerings.

I can see them using the opportunity to sell more merch. such as sippers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The entirety of the Pecos Bill and Tortuga complex should be made into Tiana's Restaurant.

In DL, Tiana's and PotC are both in New Orleans Square. And so, the entirety of TBA, the converted Pecos and Tortuga, and PotC can become New Oleans Square and then we'd stop have to worry about it being "Frontierland."

Then, between Liberty Square and CBJ, it is "Mississippi Valley."

Done.

(Don't look at BTMR.)

Tha Realest

Now that Coco has seemingly moved to Animal Kingdom and the thematic menu for Beyond Big Thunder seems still very much up in the air,
Umm, this is news. Where’s it been reported that 1) Coco’s not part of the plans of a BBTM or 2) part of an Animal Kingdom refresh/investment?

MrPromey

The Pocahontas show was part of Camp Minnie Mickey. It closed in 2008 and nothing replaced it. Regardless, that’s still a net loss of an attraction.

I remember the little theater area being used as stroller parking for the Lion King show.

While I'd consider losing that a reduction, I wouldn't call this a replacement any more than I would Tron a replacement of Stich's Great Escape the way things actually played out over time.

MrPromey

The mods watching this thread:
9e999341f90ecc11f693ee1ee4460f5d.gif

Might be time to move on from this discussion. We'll just have to see what happens to poor old Pecos.

Oh, he'll get put to work in that salt mine for his crimes against humanity.*

*By which I mean, the trio tacos I got the last time I rolled the dice on eating in this location years ago.

Tha Realest

The person probably meant to say Encanto.
Well, I was being more generous than to presume they conflated Mexican and Colombian cultures.

Regardless, the only speculation most of us have heard for Coco in the parks was the Mexico pavilion and, more recently, the D23 “Beyond Big Thunder” discussion. I thought the consensus was Encanto was scrapped from BBT, and moved to Animal Kingdom (given the more recent announcements) but I haven’t heard anything about Coco-> DAK

MagicHappens1971

Well, I was being more generous than to presume they conflated Mexican and Colombian cultures.

Regardless, the only speculation most of us have heard for Coco in the parks was the Mexico pavilion and, more recently, the D23 “Beyond Big Thunder” discussion. I thought the consensus was Encanto was scrapped from BBT, and moved to Animal Kingdom (given the more recent announcements) but I haven’t heard anything about Coco-> DAK
It’s been being discussed since D23 in the Encanto / Indy in DAK Thread
Regarding the Coco at DAK discourse... I noticed these areas are very similar in both the D23 Dinoland and Beyond Big Thunder concept art pieces...

Could be coincidence of course, but there are clearly notable similarities in both motif and land features

ToTBellHop

Of course, Coco could go to two parks. If it’s in DAK, it seems rather modest. Put the tacos in the Coco section of MK and remove them from the Deep South section of Frontierland. I’m sure they can find more appropriate food to serve between CBMJ and TBA.

Cmdr_Crimson

1) Ending the announcement on “Y’all Come Back Now, Ya Hear?”
2) This slogan was also the sign off for The Beverly Hillbillies.
3) 90’s nostalgia for major motion picture remakes of Boomer sitcoms meant that in 1993 a feature film of The Beverly Hillbillies was released by…20th Century Fox.
4) Disney now owns 20CF catalogue, and hence, The Beverly Hillbillies film.

Ergo, Beyond Big Thunder will be Beverly Hillbillies themed.
It's mentioned in the original version of CBJ after it got butchered....It is Referenced by Buff in "Come Again" at the end of the show..I timestamped it where he says it..

Last edited:

MrPromey

I know it's not a popular opinion but given Disney's current trajectory, I feel Coco belongs in the Mexican Pavilion.

I also think that making this work would require serious changes to the pavilion (and real construction) and that the ride would need to be expanded in that process (probably behind the Frozen meet and greet with those service structures relocated and the kitchen for San Angel Inn likely reworked) but unlike the French and Ratatouille, for instance, I know this is a movie that many in Mexico would be thrilled to have representing them, it actually has a good cultural fit, and it helps create another draw to pull people to this park out of MK.

They'll be getting rid of a c-ticket to do this so it's not a complete answer but personally, I have a hard time feeling about the loss of that, knowing it was a budget-engineered reskin of the original more culturally focused ride.

This change would actually feel like a happy medium between those two extremes, to me if they did it right and did a better job than they did with the Frozen redo of Maelstrom... Given this already has sections with larger show scenes, and the greater opportunity for mixed and practical sets (like Shanghai Pirates) based on the theme/story, I think a lot could be pulled off without needing a ton more space with the focus really being on increasing the ride time.

They'd probably have to close the San Angel Inn and the tequila bar for this work though and I'm sure they don't want to miss out on all that business for the twelve years it would take them to do this. :/

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom