News Disney hints at more changes to come at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

JohnD

I know it's not a popular opinion but given Disney's current trajectory, I feel Coco belongs in the Mexican Pavilion.

I also think that making this work would require serious changes to the pavilion (and real construction) and that the ride would need to be expanded in that process (probably behind the Frozen meet and greet with those service structures relocated and the kitchen for San Angel Inn likely reworked) but unlike the French and Ratatouille, for instance, I know this is a movie that many in Mexico would be thrilled to have representing them, it actually has a good cultural fit, and it helps create another draw to pull people to this park out of MK.

They'll be getting rid of a c-ticket to do this so it's not a complete answer but personally, I have a hard time feeling about the loss of that, knowing it was a budget-engineered reskin of the original more culturally focused ride. This change would actually feel like a happy medium between those two extremes, to me.

They'd probably have to close the San Angel Inn and the tequila bar for this though and I'm sure they don't want to miss out on all that business for the twelve years it would take them to do this. :/
In addition, Three Caballeros isn't entirely Mexican anyway. Jose is from Brazil while Panchito is from Mexico. Donald dons a sombrero to fit in.

yensidtlaw1969

Umm, this is news. Where’s it been reported that 1) Coco’s not part of the plans of a BBTM or 2) part of an Animal Kingdom refresh/investment?

It’s all speculation. Which it doesn’t really matter as Disney has confirmed absolutely nothing. Their guess is just as good as ours

The person probably meant to say Encanto.

Was that not more widely known? Whoops - subject to change, of course, but at the moment I've been hearing that Coco is now being pitched for Animal Kingdom instead of Magic Kingdom. Does seem like a smaller-scale Coco project than what was proposed for Beyond Big Thunder.

I definitely did not mean Encanto, though that as we all know is also being pitched for AK instead of MK.

Trying to get a hold of what's now being pitched for Beyond Big Thunder, but the waters are murkier there. I've heard a few things - some more appealing than others - but it seems that whole area has the biggest question mark around it and it may be holding up some other projects around WDW.

MrPromey

In addition, Three Caballeros isn't entirely Mexican anyway. Jose is from Brazil while Panchito is from Mexico. Donald dons a sombrero to fit in.
Absolutely - this was just a cheap thing they could slap in that sort-of-kind-of fit that, because it had Donald, would feel more MK than what was there before.

This would be an actual meaningful update that would make a heck of a lot more sense than Frozen in Norway.

To do it right, they'd have to heavily rework parts of the inside of that building and expand it (the building) for a longer ride and a bigger ride queue, hopefully while still being able to preserve an open area to maintain the awesome village at night aspect in the center rather than turning it into just the queue area for the ride, though.

Maybe in a reworked version, the entrance/exit to the ride is relocated to before where it's all at now with work done to the left side of the building to accommodate that.

Major construction all around the sides and back of this pavilion, to be sure but I can't imagine it would be more involved than the Moana thing and the payoff sure seems like it would be better.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
If Pecos switched from Tex-Mex (and burgers) to just Mex, all that'd be left to do is add a more vibrant overlay to Big Thunder and drop in a lame Coco flat ride. Frontierland Fiestaland is complete.

JD80

Only Coco reference I've seen was from the blue sky presentation for beyond big thunder which most say that presentation has already been tossed.

Animaniac93-98

Isn't Pecos Bill also the only place to get a counter service burger in that half of the park?

I think it's equal only to Cosmic Rays in terms of menu and foot traffic. It was expanded in the late 90s due to popularity.

Unless Tiana's menu has an equal or greater variety, it will be a somewhat impractical update.

yensidtlaw1969

What are the chances Pecos Bill's just becomes a version of DLP's Casa de Coco?

I haven't heard of this being discussed, I suspect mainly for the reason you cite below:

Isn't Pecos Bill also the only place to get a counter service burger in that half of the park?

I think it's equal only to Cosmic Rays in terms of menu and foot traffic. It was expanded in the late 90s due to popularity.

Unless Tiana's menu has an equal or greater variety, it will be a somewhat impractical update.

Pecos Bill's as a venue does very well by MK. While I believe Tiana's at Disneyland has been quite successful, Burgers and Fries are hard to outsell. The idea of taking that restaurant offline without another viable Burger alternative in that hemisphere of the park sounded some alarm bells. Which is why it seems likely that PB's will either be turned to Tiana's Palace or left fully alone for a while.

aladdin2007

Absolutely - this was just a cheap thing they could slap in that sort-of-kind-of fit that, because it had Donald, would feel more MK than what was there before.

This would be an actual meaningful update that would make a heck of a lot more sense than Frozen in Norway.

To do it right, they'd have to heavily rework parts of the inside of that building and expand it (the building) for a longer ride and a bigger ride queue, hopefully while still being able to preserve an open area to maintain the awesome village at night aspect in the center rather than turning it into just the queue area for the ride, though.

Maybe in a reworked version, the entrance/exit to the ride is relocated to before where it's all at now with work done to the left side of the building to accommodate that.

Major construction all around the sides and back of this pavilion, to be sure but I can't imagine it would be more involved than the Moana thing and the payoff sure seems like it would be better.
except that's an emergency access road between Mexico and the Norway meetngreet, so they cant just knock down walls and build out into that area. I agree san angel inn and all that would have to go and be reworked inside completely. Something I don't see them doing. But the ride needs some love, as do many rides right now. They sure can keep spending gazillions on gardens and lights (that dont even work) and other areas etc but the rides and show quality are getting completely left out in many cases.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
There's the stand that used to sell McDonald's Fries on the path between Tiana and Pirates. That could be an easy beignet stand. Rework the backstage parade route a bit and there's space for a full sit down Tiana's Palace on the path too. Or just some meet & greets or play area or whatever. If they don't want to lose Pecos (aside from light retheming and a new name), then that is space for some simple additions that could help transition from Adventureland to the Bayou.

Or if they did want to update Pecos, then that stand could be expanded a bit to sell burgers and fries temporarily while they do the work. It already does chicken tenders right now. If the kitchen for Pecos/Tortuga can stay open during the redo then it wouldn't be that tough to.

Or if Tortuga Tavern can stay open during the refurb then that could have some burgers added to the menu temporarily or even permanently.

Burgers can even be a part of the eventual Tiana's Palace if they go that way pretty easily. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bayou Burger they sold at Cosmic Rays for the Halloween season last year was a test. Had spicy sausage and pimento cheese on it. One of the only edible things at Cosmic Rays lol

Point is: "Burger" is a pretty easy stumbling block to overcome no matter what direction they take

MagicHappens1971

There's the stand that used to sell McDonald's Fries on the path between Tiana and Pirates. That could be an easy beignet stand. Rework the backstage parade route a bit and there's space for a full sit down Tiana's Palace on the path too. Or just some meet & greets or play area or whatever.
They also have all the space by TBA. If we're getting a new "eatery" or "snack" stand, it should be added capacity.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
They also have all the space by TBA. If we're getting a new "eatery" or "snack" stand, it should be added capacity.
True, but a quick redo of an existing not very popular snack stand would take less time if they want to have an option in the short term. And that empty space between Pirates and Tiana is an option for something new too if they want to leave the area directly by TBA open until they finalize the plans for Beyond Thunder Mountain

lazyboy97o

except that's an emergency access road between Mexico and the Norway meetngreet, so they cant just knock down walls and build out into that area. I agree san angel in and all that would have to go and be reworked inside completely. Something I don't see them doing. But the ride needs some love, as do many rides right now. They sure can keep spending gazillions on gardens and lights (that dont even work) and other areas etc but the rides and show quality are getting completely left out in many cases.
The access could rather easily be modified to go along the back of the meet and greet complex and then along the Frozen Ever After showbuilding. The bigger potential issue is that such access roads are often the route used by utilities going into the park.

MR.Dis

There's the stand that used to sell McDonald's Fries on the path between Tiana and Pirates. That could be an easy beignet stand. Rework the backstage parade route a bit and there's space for a full sit down Tiana's Palace on the path too. Or just some meet & greets or play area or whatever. If they don't want to lose Pecos (aside from light retheming and a new name), then that is space for some simple additions that could help transition from Adventureland to the Bayou.

Or if they did want to update Pecos, then that stand could be expanded a bit to sell burgers and fries temporarily while they do the work. It already does chicken tenders right now. If the kitchen for Pecos/Tortuga can stay open during the redo then it wouldn't be that tough to.

Or if Tortuga Tavern can stay open during the refurb then that could have some burgers added to the menu temporarily or even permanently.

Burgers can even be a part of the eventual Tiana's Palace if they go that way pretty easily. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bayou Burger they sold at Cosmic Rays for the Halloween season last year was a test. Had spicy sausage and pimento cheese on it. One of the only edible things at Cosmic Rays lol

Point is: "Burger" is a pretty easy stumbling block to overcome no matter what direction they take
There is a really nice place that is under used, The Diamond Horseshoe. Turn this into a Hamburger Restaurant and go ahead a redo Pecos Bill's if that is what Disney thinks in best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom