News Disney Has Purchased Approximately 235 Acres of Land

Steph15251

Yes, there are several new rides under construction in Anaheim currently, including two big E Tickets (Runaway Railway and Avengers). Also a few new rides under construction in WDW currently. All of those open in 2021 or 2022.

But I just used the 2020 cutoff date because it's so close to December 31st and I'm trying to decide what to wear to a New Year's Eve party I'm going to, it's easy to tell what will open within a few months from now, and 2020 is a nice round number.
I hope they still add rides and attractions to WD W after 2022 ,to me it seems like they have been adding stuff to Disneyland for a few years now and when I say Disneyland I also mean d ca.

Hiyumo

I hope they still add rides and attractions to WD W after 2022 ,to me it seems like they have been adding stuff to Disneyland for a few years now and when I say Disneyland I also mean d ca.
What do you mean with "they have been adding stuff to Disneyland for a few years now" WDW had toy story land, pandora, galaxy's edge and there are still a lot of attractions coming.

Steph15251

What do you mean with "they have been adding stuff to Disneyland for a few years now" WDW had toy story land, pandora, galaxy's edge and there are still a lot of attractions coming.
Yes true but Disneyland had cars land ,Star wars GE,avengers campus,MMRR,they had a lot of redos and refrubs too and seems like they will have more comming.

mhaftman7

IMO, the WDW concern is at “land” intersections and photo destinations. While I truly believe the additional walking space in front of the castle helps, it doesn’t provide continuous relief and in all actuality increases congestion consistently. Anything involving a fireworks show and/or parade brings the sidewalks to a stand still whether you want to or not. Non-parade times are congested with the castle picture takers and map readers. Rides I expect to wait. Fast Pass or not, there is always a wait, but if you aren’t watching the parade or fireworks, it’s borderline forcing you to take the longest route possible.

Homer fan

I'm on Maui for Christmas and there's a Wolfgang Puck Spago restaurant in my hotel (Retro Disney World reference!) with a very good bartender whom I've become friends with over the past week. As I sit here late afternoon Hawaii Standard Time at the Spago bar I just have to throw this out there after staring out at the beach and scribbling some math on a few cocktail napkins, in case anyone forgets that acreage doesn't always equal activity, much less quality. 🧐

Ride counts per park as of the year 2020, to include the Star Wars Land stuff, Runaway Railway, Tokyo expansion opening this spring, Marvel Land in DCA this summer, etc.
  1. Disney's Animal Kingdom - 580 acres = 8 Rides, 5 are E Tickets
  2. Epcot - 300 acres = 9 Rides, 4 are E Tickets
  3. Tokyo DisneySea - 176 acres = 21 Rides, 6 are E Tickets
  4. Disney's Hollywood Studios - 135 acres = 9 Rides, 5 are E Tickets (assuming Runaway Railway is an E)
  5. Disneyland Paris - 126 acres = 22 Rides, 6 are E Tickets
  6. Tokyo Disneyland - 115 acres = 27 Rides, 8 are E Tickets
  7. Magic Kingdom - 105 acres = 25 Rides, 7 are E Tickets
  8. Disneyland - 85 acres = 37 Rides, 13 are E Tickets
  9. Disney California Adventure - 72 acres = 19 Rides, 5 are E Tickets
  10. Hong Kong Disneyland - 68 acres = 17 Rides, 6 are E Tickets
  11. Walt Disney Studios, Paris - 62 acres = 9 Rides, 3 are E Tickets
Disneyland USA is one of the smaller parks by acreage but has the most rides by a long shot, with an additional E Ticket now under construction for 2022 (Runaway Railway). Animal Kingdom is the biggest park by acreage, likely never to be exceeded, and yet it has the lowest ride count in the entire Disney empire even after its huge Pandora expansion recently.

As seen above, acreage is generally a poor way to determine how good and/or entertaining a theme park will be.
Does anyone know why Magic Kingdom has so many less rides than Disneyland?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does anyone know why Magic Kingdom has so many less rides than Disneyland?

Many of the DL rides that are duplicates in WDW were distributed to four parks instead of crowded into one. Right now, counting just rides (and not other attractions like shows, parades, fireworks, streetmosphere, etc...) DL & DCA have almost exactly has many rides as all of WDW.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
As seen above, acreage is generally a poor way to determine how good and/or entertaining a theme park will be.

I saw Maui earlier today while watching Moana and ate at Wolfgang Pucks a few nights ago at Disney Springs. Not sure what point you're trying to make. Cramming rides into a smaller area does not lead to a consensus of "good and/or entertaining"

I've been to Disneyland (DCA) and yes, some of the rides are different (better) than their counterparts in Orlando. But as a destination overall - entertainment/immersion/options - when it comes to Disney, yeah, I'll give it to acreage all day / every day. And it's not even close.

SplashJacket

Original Poster
I've been to Disneyland (DCA) and yes, some of the rides are different (better) than their counterparts in Orlando. But as a destination overall - entertainment/immersion/options - when it comes to Disney, yeah, I'll give it to acreage all day / every day. And it's not even close.

Tokyo Disneyland Resort is a resort done on limited acreage. The parks themselves are not small by any means, but the resort as a whole is very limited in size and yet it is considered by many to be home to the best theme parks in the world.

An extremely low acreage is generally a good signifier of a lack of investment towards a park as seen in Hong Kong Disneyland and Walt Disney Studios which having the lowest two acreages.

However, the main thing with acreage is correlation does not mean causation. Simply because DCA is an inferior park to the larger Epcot it does not mean that is always the case.

AK, Epcot, TDS, HS, DLP, TDL, and MK are all considered bigger than DLP and yet I would not hesitate to take DLP in my back yard over the others.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Tokyo Disneyland Resort is a resort done on limited acreage. The parks themselves are not small by any means, but the resort as a whole is very limited in size and yet it is considered by many to be home to the best theme parks in the world.

An extremely low acreage is generally a good signifier of a lack of investment towards a park as seen in Hong Kong Disneyland and Walt Disney Studios which having the lowest two acreages.

However, the main thing with acreage is correlation does not mean causation. Simply because DCA is an inferior park to the larger Epcot it does not mean that is always the case.

AK, Epcot, TDS, HS, DLP, TDL, and MK are all considered bigger than DLP and yet I would not hesitate to take DLP in my back yard over the others.

I'm talking about overall resort. And overall experience. Not that DLP is better than DL or DL better than MK. WDW is a multi-day (probably 5-7 day) experience vs a 1 to 2 to 3 day one. If I had a big enough backyard I'd take WDW.

lazyboy97o

I'm talking about overall resort. And overall experience. Not that DLP is better than DL or DL better than MK. WDW is a multi-day (probably 5-7 day) experience vs a 1 to 2 to 3 day one. If I had a big enough backyard I'd take WDW.
Walt Disney World being a multi day experience is largely predicated on time wasted because things are just far apart and offerings limited.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Walt Disney World being a multi day experience is largely predicated on time wasted because things are just far apart and offerings limited.

For some maybe. I drive. Can hit and hop multiple resorts. It all has to do with planning. The beauty about WDW is you can spend three days there without hitting a single park or you can choose to hit all 4 parks on consecutive days. You don't get that at any other offering Disney provides (unless you go off-property).

As an example: Just got back from 2 nights there. Not a single park. Dinner at Springs, Dahlia (which is a gem IMO), Port Orleans, Poly and the GF, Boardwalk, Skyliner, lunch at Riviera, FW. You can't do that in California, Paris, or Tokyo (without leaving Disney property). Sure there are better Disney theme parks than you can find in Orlando (maybe including Uni), but I think Orlando is the best overall Disney experience.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

Original Poster
For some maybe. I drive. Can hit and hop multiple resorts. It all has to do with planning. The beauty about WDW is you can spend three days there without hitting a single park or you can choose to hit all 4 parks on consecutive days. You don't get that at any other offering Disney provides (unless you go off-property).

The attendance at WDW and its low ride quantity parks outnumber other parks with many more rides and thus leading to overcrowding. WDW is essentially the theme park version of suburbia, essentially the same as other parks just much more spread out and thus more difficult to move around.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The attendance at WDW and its low ride quantity parks outnumber other parks with many more rides and thus leading to overcrowding. WDW is essentially the theme park version of suburbia, essentially the same as other parks just much more spread out and thus more difficult to move around.

Here's our disconnect. You're talking strictly about the parks. I'm talking WDW overall. Including the resorts, water parks, DS, Boardwalk, FW, Bonnet Creek (which is on property) etc.

lazyboy97o

Here's our disconnect. You're talking strictly about the parks. I'm talking WDW overall. Including the resorts, water parks, DS, Boardwalk, FW, Bonnet Creek (which is on property) etc.
Hotel Plaza Boulevard is on property, Bonnet Creek is not on property. Other resorts have hotels and shopping districts as well.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Hotel Plaza Boulevard is on property, Bonnet Creek is not on property. Other resorts have hotels and shopping districts as well.

By definition you're correct. But it is within the gates. And the only way you can get to any property in Bonnet Creek is by entering Disney property. I'm as close to Boardwalk from the Hilton Bonnet Creek as I am from Hilton LBV. I get a park shuttle from both (though Bonnet Creek is a bit unreliable). I don't consider Gaylord on property. But Bonnet Creek, yeah, I kinda do (technicalities aside). It's kind of like pointing out Swolphin is not Disney owned - but everyone considers that it is part of Disney.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

Original Poster

Ah, I see. I personally do not value the WDW overall property because to access most of it a car, or by another inconvenient form of transportation. To me, the other resorts around the world are just as good if not better due to just as much in the surrounding area and in many cases even more convenient to access than in WDW.

I guess it just comes more to what individuals personally value as I am more than okay with leaving the Disney umbrella. Heck, I go to a Colombian restaurant relatively close to WDW each time I visit. It is delicious. Definitely recommend!

Steph15251

Many of the DL rides that are duplicates in WDW were distributed to four parks instead of crowded into one. Right now, counting just rides (and not other attractions like shows, parades, fireworks, streetmosphere, etc...) DL & DCA have almost exactly has many rides as all of WDW.
Which is why I hope they keep on adding rides to WDW after 2021/2022 .

spock8113

It seems some of the meticulous maps calculating park area include parking areas and bodies of useless water.
How about number of rides, number of food stands/restaurants and shops. For AK, the zoo could be one ride, etc.
My fifth gate, RetroDisney©, where all the rides from the past reside as they are replaced with updates in the existing parks.
DLR is four days easy, one day for each park without going to either water park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom