News Disney Has Purchased Approximately 235 Acres of Land

Tom Morrow

This is so far from any guest areas and much of it is a big natural lake, it really doesn't seem like anything will be built here.

I think this could be a 5th park for Disney World. I'm speculating it's going to be an IP-themed park based solely on Star Wars. The Galaxy's Edge over at HS, while pretty neat, proved to be underwhelming for some visitors and the fact that it didn't seem to be all that popular at Disneyland proved this. Some fans wanted an actual theme park based on many different worlds of the Star Wars universe and were very disappointed when they saw what was built. Then Disneyland is getting a new section called Avengers Campus or something, and it will have some new rides based off of that. More than likely something similar would happen at DW eventually, and I believe this might be that. This new park would probably be half Avengers and half Star Wars, both to appease fans and to compete with Universal.
It's not a 5th gate. This cannot be stressed enough: the chances of us seeing a 5th gate at WDW in the next decade are extremely slim. They already struggle to maintain the infrastructure and required labor for what they have. They've also achieved a level where a 5th gate would not bring in more guests, it would only spread them out. That would be great for us, but would not look good on paper for them. For the forseeable future it is in their best interests to continue to beef up the existing parks as they have been doing since 2015.

BromBones

I know it won't happen, but I would love Disney to use that land to actually build a 5th park (Star Wars Land) and do it the right way. But with all the money they put into Galaxy's Edge (Generic Space Adventureland) I don't see them building the 5th park.

If they did they could do SO much.
TATOOINE AREA
- Pod Racing Ride
- The Mos Eisley Spaceport with the Cantina Bar
- Jabba's Palace sit down dinner with the Max Rebo band animatronics performing, an animatronic Jabba and Han Solo frozen in Carbonite adorning the wall.

ENDOR AREA (Smaller area)
- Speeder Bike ride through the forests of Endor
- Explore the Ewok village.
- Sit down campfire dinner with the Ewoks
- Ewok storytime for children and families featuring C-3PO

HOTH Area (Smaller area)
- Walk underground and the area is very cold.
- Pilot Snowspeeders to defend against the Imperial Walkers (AT-ATs) as they assault the base.
- possibly Ride a Tauntaun and pass the Tauntaun stables on the way to riding your own...if possible.

IMPERIAL AREA
- Walk into the Death Star with a force perspective Death Star overhead somehow or an Imperial Star Destroyer hovering over the park like it did over Jedha in Rogue One
- Eat in the Death Star Stormtrooper cafeteria (counter service)
- Simulate flying a Tie Fighter in a dogfight with X-Wings.
- Darth Vader's castle on Mustafar surrounded by lava. Journey to the Dark Side ride possibly (dark side dark ride)

REBEL AREA
- Massassi Temple Rebel Base
- Simulate flying an X-Wing in a dogfight against Tie Fighters. And the cool thing would be the X-Wing in the Rebel Area would fight the Tie Fighters being piloted by guests in the Imperial Area.

CORUSCANT
- Fly through the city (VR Ride) trying to track down bounty hunters.
- Coruscant night life club/bar and restaurants
- Jedi Temple. Jedi Training Area.

Just a few cool ideas that would appeal to everyone and really immerse you in the movies and scenes.
Won't ever happen....but I wouldn't mind at all if it did.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
The problem in MK is that the customers are placking the place while lowering their own expectations...allowing Disney to “upsell” what really shouhd be in the base ticket. Like all over WDW

It’s been going on for awhile and the consequences for experience are noting but bad.
Like the late Tom Petty once sang:

"As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs wanna see
How much you'll pay for what you used to get for free."

the.dreamfinder

This is so far from any guest areas and much of it is a big natural lake, it really doesn't seem like anything will be built here.

It's not a 5th gate. This cannot be stressed enough: the chances of us seeing a 5th gate at WDW in the next decade are extremely slim. They already struggle to maintain the infrastructure and required labor for what they have. They've also achieved a level where a 5th gate would not bring in more guests, it would only spread them out. That would be great for us, but would not look good on paper for them. For the forseeable future it is in their best interests to continue to beef up the existing parks as they have been doing since 2015.
Something that needs to be understood about Fantastic Worlds. This is about going to war with Disney in a very real way. If it succeeds, UNI can get those hotel spoils mostly enjoyed by Disney and they can dramatically reduce their mindshare and market share. If they fail and don’t attract enough interest away from Disney, they cannibalize themselves and put the UOR in a very bad place financially for a long time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Something that needs to be understood about Fantastic Worlds. This is about going to war with Disney in a very real way. If it succeeds, UNI can get those hotel spoils mostly enjoyed by Disney and they can dramatically reduce their mindshare and market share. If they fail and don’t attract enough interest away from Disney, they cannibalize themselves and put the UOR in a very bad place financially for a long time.
I think you’re underestimate the still huge pull in PR/recognition Disney still retains and will for a long time...

But i’m All for “war”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

That does seem to be the case.

The one bright lining for Uni is that Orlando tourism keeps increasing every year. Barring a recession, the ever increasing pie might not cause self-cannibalization if it happens that their new gate isn't able to take people off Disney's plate.

Victor Kelly

No fifth gate. Not for a long time. Even with Epic Universe coming online in a few years, get it out of your heads.

As said above, Disney is having major issues maintaining what they already have. They are over extended. They are very over extended financially. Paying billions for Fox takes a chunk out of their budget. They had to finance that aquisition and make payments. They will keep adding resorts and sprawling over the land they have.

Tom Morrow

Fantastic Worlds will no doubt eat into Disney's bottom line, the way Universal has continually bitten off bigger and bigger pieces since 1999, but moreso 2010. However, when all is said and done, Disney will still have an additional theme park, an additional water park, a much more expansive shopping/dining/entertainment complex, three times the number of hotels and amenities, and - most importantly - the legacy of the Disney Brand and the significance in society that WDW has earned through over fifty years of existence. Universal will gain a larger piece of the pie but will still not have the highest percentage of it.

Victor Kelly

Fantastic Worlds will no doubt eat into Disney's bottom line, the way Universal has continually bitten off bigger and bigger pieces since 1999, but moreso 2010. However, when all is said and done, Disney will still have an additional theme park, an additional water park, a much more expansive shopping/dining/entertainment complex, three times the number of hotels and amenities, and - most importantly - the legacy of the Disney Brand and the significance in society that WDW has earned through over fifty years of existence. Universal will gain a larger piece of the pie but will still not have the highest percentage of it.

I agree, but Universal will stay on Disney's heels the entire time. Buying Wet n Wild was shrewd, they closes it and put a huge resort there. The new site can probably handle 2 theme parks, a second City Walk, another water park and several more resorts.

2030 will see more construction, more crowded parks, and at their inflation rate, $200 a day tickets. Any new park will be IP based, unoriginal unless they have some great Imagineers in a dungeon actually doing original work.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They aren’t building a Star Wars park after what they just did.

they need to expand MK think more of people eater attractions and shows

they will need a 5th park to spread out crowds after completing expanding the others.
MK new fantasyland / Tomorrowland addition
AK - pandora (need more rides however)
HS - Star Wars toy story lands (still think they need another family ride or 2)
Epcot - underway
Next....?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They aren’t building a Star Wars park after what they just did.

they need to expand MK think more of people eater attractions and shows

they will need a 5th park to spread out crowds after completing expanding the others.
MK new fantasyland / Tomorrowland addition
AK - pandora (need more rides however)
HS - Star Wars toy story lands (still think they need another family ride or 2)
Epcot - underway
Next....?
They were never building a Star Wars park...a mini land was always the realistic ceiling

They’ll also never need a 5th park...the cost/benefit wouldn’t justify it

Naplesgolfer

They were never building a Star Wars park...a mini land was always the realistic ceiling

They’ll also never need a 5th park...the cost/benefit wouldn’t justify it

Epcot and Animal kingdom need the most work in the mid term. Epcot needs a refurb or overlay of Grand Fiesta , Figment and Living Sea's ASAP. Then once SSE is finished and the 3 new rides are completed you would have a park that would draw more people away from a 2nd or 3rd day at MK in a week.
Animal kingdom needs 3 more new ride's and a refurb or overlay of Dinosaur . This would spread more of the people out of MK. Magic Kingdom has too many people clogging up the pathways. I don't know how you add anything to this Park without just attracting more people and compounding the problem.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think this could be a 5th park for Disney World. I'm speculating it's going to be an IP-themed park based solely on Star Wars. The Galaxy's Edge over at HS, while pretty neat, proved to be underwhelming for some visitors and the fact that it didn't seem to be all that popular at Disneyland proved this. Some fans wanted an actual theme park based on many different worlds of the Star Wars universe and were very disappointed when they saw what was built. Then Disneyland is getting a new section called Avengers Campus or something, and it will have some new rides based off of that. More than likely something similar would happen at DW eventually, and I believe this might be that. This new park would probably be half Avengers and half Star Wars, both to appease fans and to compete with Universal.

After the luke warm response to both the new SW lands and the recent movies, there is no way they would build a whole, of even half park based on Star Wars. Big companies like Disney are just to risk averse to do something like that. They also can't use Avengers in WDW because of the Universal contract.

wdwfan4ver

There is no end of contract date concerning Island of Adventure Marvel Rights. It is mentioned about Avengers being a no-go. Fantastic four and X-men are no goes also for WDW.

The motive is not there for either side for WDW getting Marvel Rights. Universal makes money off marvel, but Disney makes money off the Marvel Section of Islands of Adventure also. To top it off, I don't see Universal giving up Marvel anytime soon. Universal has space to pull more stuff besides the Epic Universe theme park. Universal has a lot of money tied up in that 3rd park including road construction costs.

The only known Marvel rights WDW has is Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero and the Eternals. I think WDW can use Doctor Strange because they had a Doctor Strange meet and Greet at DHS when the first Doctor Strange movie came out. I have no idea on Shang-Chai and the legend of 10 rings. Basically WDW can pull off a Super Hero land from the material they have, but not enough for half a new theme park.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

After the luke warm response to both the new SW lands and the recent movies, there is no way they would build a whole, of even half park based on Star Wars. Big companies like Disney are just to risk averse to do something like that. They also can't use Avengers in WDW because of the Universal contract.
The real problem is Disney tied Galaxy's Edge with the recent movies. The 3 movies are a mess caused by JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson not working together. The fact is Rian did not like the direction the Force Awakens went and he got a rid of characters that Abrams wanted for the 3rd movie. The movies is a Kathleen Kennedy problem by not hiring directors that can work together as a team and I'm under the impression Iger know the problem is. Iger saw multiple directors used for MCU and turned out great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom